Revisited: How Would a Scratch Golfer Fare Against an LPGA Pro?

I feel like the last time this discussion was had on here it was a little more dynamic, like the scratch golfer got to play a different set of tees or something.

I can't remember, but it wasn't the hard no that this one is.
I was thinking the same thing. Same word even. There was definitely more to that one initially or over the course of our discussion.

I was thinking the same thing. Same word even. There was definitely more to that one initially or over the course of our discussion.
I remember feeling like there was a decent argument, unless like one.

Yeah, they were. In the article I read, Lowe (who was the low am/celeb) said Nelly Korda hit it by him 90% of the time. Another guy (I forget who) said Ariya Jutanugarn consistently hit her 3-wood past his driver.
Nice I would feel awful if I was getting 3 wood blown by me. I mean I would get killed but damn it I would make sure to take driver si I wasn't killed and outdriven.

A tournament tested +2 or +3 would be a much better match

Sorry, he isn’t in the same league. People have to stop thinking that women in sports are so weak or inferior. A women professional is going to destroy a non professional man in just about every sport there is.

Sorry, he isn’t in the same league. People have to stop thinking that women in sports are so weak or inferior. A women professional is going to destroy a non professional man in just about every sport there is.
Not to get in a stupid argument but elite high school players are better then the best women in a bunch of sports

A scratch golfer beating an LPGA Tour player, is like a 15 HI beating a scratch golfer.

I wish you’d have expanded. I know you’ve stated you’ve seen one that’s a lefty hitting righty better than we do. But to put it succinctly, about right from what I’ve seen? They just don’t make mistakes. When I screw up it’s 2 strokes. They don’t do that.

Match play on a hot day? Same tees? I’d have zero chance but I’d win a hole or two. Stroke play? I can’t compete with regular 65-70’s on Tournament courses. 😂.

So a true 0+/- HC guy is going to get wailed on every time by an LPGA pro from what I’ve seen. I’d be flat out embarrassed.

Not to get in a stupid argument but elite high school players are better then the best women in a bunch of sports

Ben, I’ve met you. Trust me on this. I’ve been around elite HS talent. The LPGA players will kill them. Heck the best local HS golfers are girls, 😂.

Sorry was talking basketball and such

I would argue the opposite in most sports. I am sure there are some exceptions. That elite HS player becomes that elite pro. However, we are talking about a person that was never good enough to go pro, aka a scratch golfer, versus and actual pro women playing on the tour.

Scratch golfer was never good enough to play in D1 college.

Scratch golfer was never good enough to play in D1 college.
Not true at all. My sons fraternity brother played for Purdue and he was about a 1-3 handicap golfer. Said only a handful on the team can shoot better then scratch consistently.

lol then a team that can compete. I promise you a team like Ohio State starters are like +2 to +5 high ranked AJGA guys

This is a laughable notion, but not surprising on Twitter. The LPGA is no second-class tour.

After many, many chest thumping posts by THPer's boasting about how they could easily win (longer drives, on in 2, etc) @JB arranged for some THPer's to play against a couple of the LPGA players.

To be fair a couple of the guys were "bombers" but that didn't change the results...

It's absurd that in 2022 someone out there would even suggest the premise.
I guess some would think because they are Ladies the amateur has a chance. Laughable!

You have to be absolutely clueless to even think that an amateur can compete with a pro.

I get this a lot in my field of work. I teach a Diesel program and I have 3 female students and none of them will have a hard time finding a job strictly based on skill. It chaps me that even today some discredit women strictly because they’re women.

As far as golf goes, the women on the LPGA Tour aren’t good, they are phenomenal. They are professionals and absolute masters of their craft. Amateurs are amateurs for a reason. If you think you’re better than they are, you’re not. It might be a hard to swallow some of that pride, but get a straw and suck it up.

After many, many chest thumping posts by THPer's boasting about how they could easily win (longer drives, on in 2, etc) @JB arranged for some THPer's to play against a couple of the LPGA players.

To be fair a couple of the guys were "bombers" but that didn't change the results...
I would love to be in on an event like that - not because I think I stand the slightest chance of beating them, even with pops, but because it would be a ton of fun to see their game up close like that!

It would get wax’d and it would be embarrassing. They would wedge and putt him into oblivion..

Now your top ranked college players and possibly even top ranked high school boy?

I think that is a different story.

I really enjoy watching the ladies on the LPGA. They would crush any AM.

Not any am. That’s simply not true. There are college and high school boys that are freaking good as am. There are am’s that qualify for the US open. There are some stellar amateur golfer out there that I think could beat LPGA players. But a scratch golfer gets killed. Absolutely.

Last edited:
Not any am. That’s simply not true. There are college and high school boys that are freaking good as am. There are am’s that qualify for the IS open. There are some stellar amateur golfer out there that I think could beat LPGA players. But a scratch golfer gets killed. Absolutely.
Yes. Scratch golfer. There are some collegiate golfers that are excellent that could certainly play with the pros. I thought I my mind the scratch internet golfer.
There are great college golfers recently like Morikawa, Wolfe, Hovland and others that would have done very well against them before going pro.

Yes. Scratch golfer. There are some collegiate golfers that are excellent that could certainly play with the pros. I thought I my mind the scratch internet golfer.
There are great college golfers recently like Morikawa, Wolfe, Hovland and others that would have done very well against them before going pro.

For sure.

Who said they would easily win? I think I have said I would probably be out driving most of them but would killed score wise.

The interesting question is how many yards would a mildly competent golfer need so they would be even money vs LPGA. 2K? 3K?

Ben, I’ve met you. Trust me on this. I’ve been around elite HS talent. The LPGA players will kill them. Heck the best local HS golfers are girls, 😂.
Elite HS talent are qualifying for the US Am, US Junior, AJGA invitationals or Rolex Tournament of Champions and many of them would fair well against LPGA players. In Ohio in recent years the only elite high school talent on the guys side I can think of is Austin Greaser and Maxwell Moldovan. Girls game has been much deeper in recent years in Ohio.

Derek Lowe posted better scores than some LPGA pros in that tournament, so if the question is whether a male amateur scratch golfer can compete with LPGA pros then the answer is absolutely a yes. That doesn’t take anything away from the LPGA but reality is reality.

Elite HS talent are qualifying for the US Am, US Junior, AJGA invitationals or Rolex Tournament of Champions and many of them would fair well against LPGA players. In Ohio in recent years the only elite high school talent on the guys side I can think of is Austin Greaser and Maxwell Moldovan. Girls game has been much deeper in recent years in Ohio.
I played with Topher Reed before, he was co state champion this year. From what I have heard he is not close to Maxwell but he is damn good. Kid bombs it 30 yards past me easily and I am not short. I still think he would be fine vs LPGA

Back