Revisited: How Would a Scratch Golfer Fare Against an LPGA Pro?

A clown on Twitter took some heavy heat a while back for tweeting that any amateur with a 4 handicap could beat an LPGA Pro playing from the same tees.

This week at the Hilton Vacations Tournament of Champions, we got to see how that works out in real life. Danielle Kang posted four rounds in the 60s. The combined total of rounds in the 60s from the FIFTY competitors in the Celebrity Division? Zero.

The winner of the Celebrity Division was Derek Lowe, a retired MLB pitcher who plays off a 0.2 Index. Although they were playing Stableford format, his stroke play scores for the four rounds were 76-72-75-72. A respectable total of +7 for the tournament, but 23 strokes off Danielle Kang's -16. His +7 finish would have put him T24 amongst the 29 golfers in the LPGA Division.

Mardy Fish is widely recognized as one of the best players on the Celebrity golf circuit. He plays off a +2.8 Index and shot 81-70-73-82, and his second round was the only celebrity round that was under par. Put him on the LPGA leaderboard and he would have finished 28th of 29.

Question answered.

But it leaves the question: could Danielle Kang get a hit off Derek Lowe? :LOL:

But seriously, there is absolutely no way that any 4 handicapper would beat an LPGA Pro.

I feel like the last time this discussion was had on here it was a little more dynamic, like the scratch golfer got to play a different set of tees or something.

I can't remember, but it wasn't the hard no that this one is.

I've seen this play out in person. The guy was playing at a slight + at the time if I remember correctly. He more or less gave up after 11 as he was 4 strokes down and all the long par 5's he was "going to get a leg up on" were done.

Those gals can golf their ball. And their caps are more like plus 4 or 5. But they are hardened to competitive play. Most Ams aren't.
This. Tiger mentioned that he is able to play "Hit and giggle" golf, but is not ready for competitive tournaments. There is a big difference between week end rounds and tournaments where the LGPA would not just win, but destroy scratch golfers.

I am curious about where the LGPA players would really shine versus scratch golfers. Something tells me it would be green side and putting.

This. Tiger mentioned that he is able to play "Hit and giggle" golf, but is not ready for competitive tournaments. There is a big difference between week end rounds and tournaments where the LGPA would not just win, but destroy scratch golfers.

I am curious about where the LGPA players would really shine versus scratch golfers. Something tells me it would be green side and putting.

They would putt better than most 0 index amateur men but the bigger difference would be in tee shots(fairways hit), iron play, and greenside shots. We have a former LPGA member at our club who is now in her 60's and it's amazing how small her misses are.

For some reason, at least at the Tour level, men putt better than women. For 2021, there were 4 LPGA players that averaged under 29 putts per round and 109 PGA tour players under that number. Inbee Park had the lowest average at 28.71 and there were 57 PGA tour players better than than. Four of them averaged under 28 putts per round.

A friend of mine plays on the LPGA Tour. When she was an amateur I saw her consistently beat scratch golfers. I was hitting balls next to her last week, and her consistency was breathtaking. Just for fun she hit a left-handed 6-iron and was striping it.

I don't think some people realize just how good the female touring professional is.

A

Mardy Fish is widely recognized as one of the best players on the Celebrity golf circuit. He plays off a +2.8 Index and shot 81-70-73-82, and his second round was the only celebrity round that was under par. Put him on the LPGA leaderboard and he would have finished 28th of 29.

Question answered.

I have no dog in the fight...but I did see it pointed out elsewhere that Fish's handicap is highly inaccurate. Look him up on Ghin, he has posted something like 2 rounds in 2-3 years. Doesn't change the overall showing of anyone who played (and should not change the expectations) but using his index is not overly valuable.

And purely anecdotal..one of the guys I work with is a plus handicap, won or placed in multiple of the state championships and gone to nationals. He and another co-worker, also a plus who has won several club tournaments and I have heard second-hand has done well in the state games, they went out with T's wife...who happens to be a low lever (currently ranked between 2 and 300. I just looked her up, just had a T11 finish...yay? LPGA player. Scoring average 72.15

They played a local private club. It was...competitive, lets say, with lots of trash talking, may or may not have been some in-group (and people who know them) money on the line...and she wins consistently in their matches. Nobody was surprised. Someone shot 1 under...and came in third.

There is plenty of evidence, real and anecdotal, where the respective amateurs and pros would finish playing together. A one-off anecdote ain't gonna change anybody's mind...but that is kind of the point. Some people can look at evidence and comprehend it, some people "just know" stuff, no matter how wrong it is.

I think the term ,” fighting out of your weight division “ is appropriate , Those Ladies have serious talent , and repetitiously
high level good, whilst a low score here or there may be on a amateurs card , these awesome players , produce it like production lines.

l spoke with a lady who’s of +3 , she was in a Uni, she said getting to scratch is a journey , it’s another different journey getting to plus handicap…..

Just imagine scoring a sub par round and adding 3 too it ……… 👀👀 and the LPGA are stratospheres above that 😳😳

Were they all playing the same tees?

People will say anything for attention. There is almost 0 chance in a 4 round tournament a 4 hc amateur beats an lpga pro. The pressure alone would cause most non competitive golfers to have a tougher round.
Yes its just a pure BS narrative. I play with 1hcp guys and they're obviously very good but their swings are nowhere near as pure as LPGA players.

Here's a slightly different comparative on this.

About 10 years ago, I had a couple occasions to play with some of the players on the San Jose State University Division I golf team. One of them was a young lady who was the third or fourth top player on the women's team. My handicap was within a few tenths of zero at the time. The young lady drove the ball as well as I. She was more precise on approach shots and I had an edge, but not a large one in short game. In other words, we were very competitive head-to-head.

Keep in mind, she was the third or fourth best on her college team. Not a candidate for the LPGA Tour unless she made a big jump. I agree with what others have said. On sub-7,000 yard courses I would agree that most LPGA players would have a handicap around a +4. They are that good!

If everything is equal, and all things considered, I imagine the "average" LPGA PRO beats me by a minimum of 12-15 shots per round

That is total domination.

I will say this. If that male amateur golfer played from the 6400 yd. tees and had a +3 HC and got that +3 HC by traveling around and playing elite courses across the country then I'd say he could hang with them. If he got that +3 HC by playing only his local country club he'd have a comeuppance.

There's a young woman who takes lessons from the guy who gives me lessons. She's about 5'7" tall and is a junior in HS. I've watched her take lessons. I've watched her practice. I know people with whom she plays. She regularly shoots around 71 from 6400 yds. Having a 104 mph driver swing speed doesn't hurt. When I saw her last she needed a new 3W because the shaft was too whippy. She had to borrow the coach's 3W. She hits a beautiful baby fade with her driver.

Were they all playing the same tees?

Yeah, they were. In the article I read, Lowe (who was the low am/celeb) said Nelly Korda hit it by him 90% of the time. Another guy (I forget who) said Ariya Jutanugarn consistently hit her 3-wood past his driver.

It's a very loose definition, and I find the term commonly misunderstood and overused by casual golfers. They might use the term for someone who is a 3-5 index, and that is a loooong way from being a zero index. I've hovered most of the last 25 years within 1.5 strokes either side of a 0.0 index, and I never use the term "scratch." My average score last year was between 74 and 75, so no, I can't come close to competing with LPGA golfers who average more like 71.4 from similar yardages. You'd have to have more like a +3 index established under tournament college or amateur play to compete with the LPGA players. Those gals are good! :)
I think that the reason why it is easy to confuse is because handicaps are based on best scores. So, when these scratch players go to a celebrity tournament, feel pressure (like we all do under pressure), and play multiple rounds, they likely will shoot no more than one or two rounds near par and the others will be several strokes higher, whereas the LPGA player will often put up round after round under or near par.

I think that the reason why it is easy to confuse is because handicaps are based on best scores. So, when these scratch players go to a celebrity tournament, feel pressure (like we all do under pressure), and play multiple rounds, they likely will shoot no more than one or two rounds near par and the others will be several strokes higher, whereas the LPGA player will often put up round after round under or near par.

Yes, the women that play on Tour would carry a men's +3 or +4 index, and there just aren't that many legit +4 index male golfers that aren't playing college or the mini-tours. The retired LPGA pro at my home club, Barb Moxness, is in her 60's and shoots par on a regular basis from the 6500-yard tees and holds ladies' course records at a handful of MN courses. She retired from the LPGA Tour in the mid 80's when her second son was born but did have 8 top 10 finishes one year, and a few 2nd place finishes in her career. Her ladies index is +5 or +6. Her game is so solid I can't imagine how good she was 40 years ago, lol.

There is exactly a 0% chance that scratch golfer would beat an LPGA player. I play with a lot of very good plus handicap players and I'm confident they would all get destroyed.

They had a show on golf channel, senior, PGA and LPGA. THe LPGA won almost every time. So a scratch golfer wouldn't far any better.

I'm guessing any scratch or low handicap player who thinks he has a chance against an LPGA player hasn't been much time around really good female amateur golfers, let alone LPGA Tour members.

Yeah, they were. In the article I read, Lowe (who was the low am/celeb) said Nelly Korda hit it by him 90% of the time. Another guy (I forget who) said Ariya Jutanugarn consistently hit her 3-wood past his driver.

I don't think she hits driver all that often either, but I could be mistaken on that. She absolutely crushes the ball.

A clown on Twitter took some heavy heat a while back for tweeting that any amateur with a 4 handicap could beat an LPGA Pro playing from the same tees.

This week at the Hilton Vacations Tournament of Champions, we got to see how that works out in real life. Danielle Kang posted four rounds in the 60s. The combined total of rounds in the 60s from the FIFTY competitors in the Celebrity Division? Zero.

The winner of the Celebrity Division was Derek Lowe, a retired MLB pitcher who plays off a 0.2 Index. Although they were playing Stableford format, his stroke play scores for the four rounds were 76-72-75-72. A respectable total of +7 for the tournament, but 23 strokes off Danielle Kang's -16. His +7 finish would have put him T24 amongst the 29 golfers in the LPGA Division.

Question answered.
Stellar post, sir! 👊

Back