Revisiting: Is 2019 the year of the driver?

It is certainly the year of the expensive driver. For me personally, spending money at the other end of the bag is going to be more beneficial.

I don't think that is quite true. The Ben Hogan, Tour Edge, and Wilson offerings are $300 or less and perform very well. The Mizuno is $100-$150 less than the bigger names and does an amazing job. I think the drivers from every segment this year all perform very well.

Having a hard time understanding the question.

Are we talking all drivers out now perform relatively the same ?

Are we talking drivers right now perform better ?

Are we talking there are simply more options out now ?

I’d answer yes, no and no.

For me it still comes down to the fit. If oems offered 14-16* lofted options I bet I could game nearly every one of them and come within 3 yds of each other with a proper fitting shaft. I took 6 drivers out to the course back in April including the Flash, G410, and some older Ping’s. I parked on a hole and hit about 40 drives. My single longest shot was with an old Rapture V2. My decent swings were all clustered with a yard or two of each other. Bad swings (pull hook) all ended in a cluster in the left rough. So I saw no gains from the new tech.

The following month, I went and got fitted by PXG as they are the only major oem offering a 14* driver option right now.

Bombed it at the fitting but now after getting strep and talking 3-4 weeks off doing the SuperSpeed program I’d argue my 12 yr fold 16* Ping driver I paid $40 for is outperforming it right now.
~sigh

I don't think that is quite true. The Ben Hogan, Tour Edge, and Wilson offerings are $300 or less and perform very well. The Mizuno is $100-$150 less than the bigger names and does an amazing job. I think the drivers from every segment this year all perform very well.

That could be true, I haven't seen any of them in person let alone hit them. I'd love to see some figures for sales as other than the mizuno, I can't imagine them selling anywhere near like TM's callaway's titleist's of this world.

That could be true, I haven't seen any of them in person let alone hit them. I'd love to see some figures for sales as other than the mizuno, I can't imagine them selling anywhere near like TM's callaway's titleist's of this world.

You’d be surprised. Titleist for example is a FRACTION of what most think it is I believe. In fact, we are talking even with the likes of Tour Edge.

I know some won’t believe that. But it’s true.

I’ll add this in there on the Titleist front, and no I’m NOT hating on them.

What would people think their market share is? Over/under 5%?

I’ll add this in there on the Titleist front, and no I’m NOT hating on them.

What would people think their market share is? Over/under 5%?

For drivers? 1%. I hardly ever see Titleist drivers in the wild (or irons for that matter. My golfing buddy plays the 718 AP1s)

You’d be surprised. Titleist for example is a FRACTION of what most think it is I believe. In fact, we are talking even with the likes of Tour Edge.

I know some won’t believe that. But it’s true.

You're talking about one country (admittedly a very large one in terms of golf sales). Where else does tour edge have any sort of presence?

Revisiting: Is 2019 the year of the driver?

So, been thinking on this and went back and found the @Canadan thread from January and read back through it.

Since all the cards...er...drivers are on the table now, IS this legitimately the year of the driver? We have had years of one, two, or three good drivers and then some OK ones, but this year there seems to be legit weapons from the tee all over the industry.

What do you think?

Is it THE year of the driver, i don’t know, but it’s been a damn good one.

I think most are putting out damn good products, but are they all the best improvements over previous lines? The flash IMO isn’t as big of an upgrade over the Epic as the Epic was over the GBB. I don’t think the new M5 with twist face is that much of a massive improvement over the ones it replaced over what some of their previous lines put out. I don’t think the titleist ones have ever really made a huge impact over their predecessors year over year IMO.

Has it been a great year across the board? Absolutely. But I think the F9 is probably the only real breakthrough driver for a single company this year. Not a knock per say on flash or twist face, I just feel both Cally and TM had great products out before, and have had more important releases before.

You're talking about one country (admittedly a very large one in terms of golf sales). Where else does tour edge have any sort of presence?

Of course I’m talking US market share, it’s the major indicator in the industry.

I’ll go a step further though, they’re also just barely ahead of Wilson. True story.

Of course I’m talking US market share, it’s the major indicator in the industry.

I’ll go a step further though, they’re also just barely ahead of Wilson. True story.

#ballcompany

I would imagine they sell a lot of Vokey wedges though

I'd like to see some figures. Worldwide, titleist are selling way more drivers than tour edge and wilson. Wouldn't be close.

I'd like to see some figures. Worldwide, titleist are selling way more drivers than tour edge and wilson. Wouldn't be close.

1) I don’t believe there are such numbers

2) I think you’re giving their metalwood sales too much credit. That isn’t me crapping on the products, I’ve enjoyed my time with the TS2, but I think there’s a misconception about just how much of a “player” they are in the industry outside wedges and golf balls.

2) I think you’re giving their metalwood sales too much credit. That isn’t me crapping on the products, I’ve enjoyed my time with the TS2, but I think there’s a misconception about just how much of a “player” they are in the industry outside wedges and golf balls.

You are correct.
As of last month, Tour Edge and Titleist were quite close in Datatech numbers. While it is not the most accurate, it is considered the used number when market share is discussed. With that said it’s only metal woods I’m speaking of.

Someone seeing more of something in their town, etc I’m sure happens for a lot of brands and products.

And I agree with Jman, I would never indict a product based on sales. Far too many great products that haven’t sold well.

And putters?

And putters?

Hmmm, I don’t know. The putter market is legit Odyssey then everyone else. The Scotty thing is fun to talk about, because they, in my opinion, got where they are because of the $$$ pool on tour.

But yeah, I think balls, putters, wedges, are clearly their meat and potatoes (and rightfully so!)

As far as year of the driver I think it is. Take away price point and you have each OEM offering their designs that are performing well on a bunch of levels.

We know not all drivers are designed equally so it’s nice to see a breadth of offerings that can keep golfer’s options open based on their needs.

Definitely the year of the driver. I've hit most of the 2019 offerings in the past few months and there honestly hasn't been anything I would call sub par to the rest. The TM drivers were good, but for me lacked a little ball speed. The F9, G410, The mizuno (stupid good,) Flash and TS drivers are all so damn good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Golf balls have always been Acushnet/Titleist primary business.It's a disposable product and as such the best part of the golf equipment industry.
After golf balls, Acushnet/Titleist focuses on footwear (FootJoy) sales. For Titleist, the golf club segment of the industry has always been a relatively low priority.

and the f9 is $399, while also being quite possibly the most talked about driver of 2019

Definitely the year off the "lower cost high performance driver" at least IMO. I'm looking specifically at the EXS and F9... which happen to be the two drivers I hit best this year (at 150-200 cheaper than the larger OEM releases)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

and the f9 is $399, while also being quite possibly the most talked about driver of 2019

I forgot it was priced around the Mizuno. It's crazy how much performance for the $$$ you can get right now.

Just a heads up.
The Cobra KING F9 driver was priced at $449 at launch.
Mizuno ST190G is priced at $499
Mizuno ST190 is priced at $399

Man I look back at my time here at THP and think of how many times we declared 20XX as the year of the driver. Not saying it's a bad thing, it's been pretty awesome, to be honest. I think what has changed this year is we have seen some companies who traditionally lacked in the driver department have stepped up their game(looking at you Titleist and Mizuno), while others like Cobra are FINALLY getting the attention they deserve. Then add to the equation that we see good performance and tech from drivers like the D7 and EXS which fall at a much better price point. It's been a fun year to follow, and yet somehow I sit here with the 917d2, knowing that I can get more performance out of something new, but yet, haven't really changed. So year of the driver, sure we can call it that, is it enough to make me go spend $$$ to grab something, I'm not there yet.

Lots of a good options this year across the board and pricepoint.

I think it surpasses offerings from previous years and I think the drivers are the pick of the litter over irons/woods

Some really good wedge offerings this year though

Back