Rules question: The whiff

I asked the question for my father because he wasn't clear if a ball was in play if it didn't leave the tee. We established that it is and you play it as it lies.

My point was that there is nothing complicated about what to do when the ball is in play. All you have to know is that once you make a stroke intending to hit the ball, it is in play. You treat it no differently than you would if it was in the fairway. I don't think that a ruling gets much simpler than that - it's Golf 101. Anyone who plays the game even semi-seriously should know what a ball in play is and what can and cannot be done with it.

On that decision that I was wrong on, we had diverged from the original question. As with most rules situations, it only gets complicated after you screw up and fail to follow a procedure by the rules. Knowing the basic on course procedures keeps most players from ever being involved in those more complex situations.

Play it as it lies.

How is it complicated?

Read through the beginning of this thread and people unsure what to do.

And then someone quoting a rule and even you saying "I hadn't thought about that".

We wouldn't have numerous pages of discussion if it was as simple and clear cut as you're implying.

There are plenty of things in that people over complicate and then discuss the snot out of it. That's the internet in a nutshell.

Yes, there are a zillion rules in Golf, but I would venture to say that the simpler ones are all rather intuitive. Like in this case.

There are plenty of things in that people over complicate and then discuss the snot out of it. That's the internet in a nutshell.

Yes, there are a zillion rules in Golf, but I would venture to say that the simpler ones are all rather intuitive. Like in this case.

Warning: incoming essay!

Simplifying the rules makes perfect sense. Who wouldn't want to do so?

However, the more you study the rules, the more you realize just how well written they are. That's not to say that they're perfect, but it is FAR harder to write a good rule of golf than people think.

Remember that the rules define the game for all levels, not just your weekend match. Sure, playing with your buddies you can say, "Ah, no big deal if you dropped the ball a foot from where you were supposed to." But when I was refereeing a USGA local qualifier where there were 40+ participants vying for 3 spots to move onto the next qualifier and perhaps have a shot at making the US Open, do you think anyone would have said, "Ah, no big deal. That's close enough?"

In what other sport do you have to ensure the rules can handle the contingency of the ball striking your bag, defecting off your opponent, ending up inside an immovable obstruction which is inside a water hazard? Golf has so many rules and decisions because the game is so variable. Again, not a big deal in your weekend match. You can just say, "you get a replay if your ball hits your bag, deflects off your opponent and ends up in a immovable obstruction inside a water hazard."

In your weekend match, do whatever you want. Roll it over. Throw the ball out into the fairway. Give 8-foot gimmes. Do whatever makes the game fun for you. It's only when a serious competition is involved or when turning in a score for handicap that you need to follow the rules to the letter if the tournament or the handicap system are going to be fair. And yes, I recognize the majority of golfers fudge the rules even when turning in a handicap. And to be perfectly frank, someone rolling a ball over, dropping a ball where they think their ball was lost or taking a few excessive gimmes is not going to have a major impact on your handicap. So in the grand scheme of things, it's not actually a huge deal if you fudge a few rules on a handicap round. But out of principle, one really should try to follow the rules, both to try to improve the accuracy of the system, and just so you're getting a true measure of your game from your handicap.

Now, there will be those that will say they fudge rules during their handicap rounds because the rules are too complicated and destroy their fun. But let's be honest. What destroys their fun is having to admit you shot a 95, rather than the 86 you thought you deserved. It's not that the rules are so onerous to follow, it's that people don't like what following the rules does to their score, and that makes golf less fun for them. Fair enough, but there's no solution to that problem.

Having personally met a few of the people who are on the ruling bodies, I can assure you they are constantly looking for the ways to simplify the rules. They're as passionate about golf as you are, and they are constantly trying to improve the rules and are always mindful of the impact a rule may have on the golfing community. That said, sometimes they have to make tough decisions to keep the rules applicable for all forms of play, and to stay true to the principles of the game. Primary among them:

- Play the ball as it lies
- Play the course as you find it
- Put the ball in play and don't touch it until it enters the hole (with some obvious rule-permitted exceptions)
- Golf is a test of skill. It is not supposed to be easy or situations always resolved in your favor.

Finally, as FourPutt said, the VAST majority of golfers can play completely by the rules just by knowing 4-5 basic rules. The majority of the complexity comes from situations your average golfer is never likely to see. Things do get complicated when one applies the wrong procedure, because then the ruling has to deal with what you did wrong, and how to resolve that error in an equitable manner. If in doubt, use Rule 3-3, play two balls and let the committee sort out the complexity.

I guess you'd have to play it as it lies? It seems weird to play your 2nd shot off of a tee, but the only other option would be to touch/change the lie of a ball in play, right?

Don't see why that would be weird. I play my third shot from a tee all the time :p

The thing about "letting the committee decide" is that in about 99% of the rounds we are the committee. Unless someone has a smart phone or tablet with them and can look up the decisions for something questionable, we're going to have to make a decision on the spot. It may be the wrong decision because there are 600 pages of this stuff in the rules. And for pace of play no one wants to look, even during competitive rounds.... so........

The thing about "letting the committee decide" is that in about 99% of the rounds we are the committee. Unless someone has a smart phone or tablet with them and can look up the decisions for something questionable, we're going to have to make a decision on the spot. It may be the wrong decision because there are 600 pages of this stuff in the rules. And for pace of play no one wants to look, even during competitive rounds.... so........

Look for what? If there is ANY chance you will not find the ball, the right play is the provisional ball. It is possible to play by the rules, and play quickly.

I agree on the Decisions book. You use to be able to carry it in your pocket (it was part of the rules book) Now it is a 3 ring binder.

No, you're not the committee.

Committee

The "Committee" is the committee in charge of the competition or, if the matter does not arise in a competition, the committee in charge of the course.

In 99% of cases, while there may be some sort of executive committee in charge of the course, they would defer such day-to-day rules decisions to the Head Pro and his/her staff. So simply ask in the pro shop when you get finished. By playing two balls under rule 3-3, you can resolve questions you may have in how to proceed.

Committee

The "Committee" is the committee in charge of the competition or, if the matter does not arise in a competition, the committee in charge of the course.

In 99% of cases, while there may be some sort of executive committee in charge of the course, they would defer such day-to-day rules decisions to the Head Pro and his/her staff. So simply ask in the pro shop when you get finished. By playing two balls under rule 3-3, you can resolve questions you may have in how to proceed.

The person in the pro shop? lol. It's usually some college kid with a part time summer job or someone who works in the kitchen. The pro is on the driving range giving a lesson and doesn't want to be interrupted. So like I said - you are the committee. Your group will have to make an executive decision on the course or look up the decision on your smart phone after the round and hopefully get it right.

Do you want to know what kinds of decisions I've heard from the people working behind the desk? Q: what do you do when you lose a ball? A: drop a ball in the area where you think you lost it and take a 2 stroke penalty. Q: Is the beauty bark around the base of the trees GUR? A: Yes. Rule Book: No. Q: Is ____ area a French drain (GUR)? A: What's a French drain? Pro: I don't know. Groundskeeper: Yes.

The person in the pro shop? lol. It's usually some college kid with a part time summer job or someone who works in the kitchen. The pro is on the driving range giving a lesson and doesn't want to be interrupted. So like I said - you are the committee. Your group will have to make an executive decision on the course or look up the decision on your smart phone after the round and hopefully get it right.

Do you want to know what kinds of decisions I've heard from the people working behind the desk? Q: what do you do when you lose a ball? A: drop a ball in the area where you think you lost it and take a 2 stroke penalty. Q: Is the beauty bark around the base of the trees GUR? A: Yes. Rule Book: No. Q: Is ____ area a French drain (GUR)? A: What's a French drain? Pro: I don't know. Groundskeeper: Yes.

As someone who has worked at a course for 6 years, I can say that your experiences are not always the norm. Don't assume based on these experiences that the person behind the desk is uneducated.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I agree that not all pros or pro-shop staff are well-versed in the rules. However, there's no reason you can't sit down with a rule book after the round and come to a decision with whomever appears the most knowledgeable. Pulling the rule book out during the round on a busy course is indeed not always an option, so that's pretty much the only choice.

I've never needed to refer to the Decisions on course, not even when refereeing a tournament. The reason being that when correct playing procedures are followed as outlined in the Rules of Golf, the Decisions rarely needed. When a question does come up in stroke play, all you need to know is Rule 3-3, then save the questions for after the round is over.

Committee

Actually Wade, I asked that very question in a rules workshop, and was told that in informal play, a group can, and often must act as its own committee, in particular for such issues as areas which are clearly eligible as GUR, but not marked. Also mismarked hazard margins are another common occurrence which need to be addressed in a timely manner. Most public courses simply lack the resources to keep up with those things as thoroughly as we rules guys would like, but that doesn't make them any less important to playing a proper round of golf. This is true both for handicap rounds and matches where wagering is involved.

An additional comment to my post above: When a group is making committee decisions on its own behalf, they still need to act responsibly. They don't have free reign to just do whatever they want. The committee's responsibilities are listed in Rule 33, so if one intends to take on that task, he should read that rule along with Rule 34, Appendix I, and the associated decisions so he is familiar with what is and is not allowed.

Back