Rumor: Davis Love III to be the next Ryder Cup Capt

If Azinger had the formula and guys like that formula. How do you get to a DL3 for Capt. I don't understand the rush to have a committee and then the rush to pick Love. The US side of the RC is broken from where I sit. From the players to the commitee, it all needs to be fixed. Europe will continue to dominate as long as the US keeps making decision in a vacuum

From a spectator that doesnt know all the inter workings of the US committee and so forth I like it. I mean he put in great position to win when he lead us last not his fault the players couldnt close and Europe played lights out. It was a perfect storm. Outside looking in I like it.

Could we possibly see Couples as an Asst. Captain? Hmmmm?

Could we possibly see Couples as an Asst. Captain? Hmmmm?

you would hope that is there plan, taking a page from Europe's playbook, asst Captain's become captains down the road

If Azinger had the formula and guys like that formula. How do you get to a DL3 for Capt. I don't understand the rush to have a committee and then the rush to pick Love. The US side of the RC is broken from where I sit. From the players to the commitee, it all needs to be fixed. Europe will continue to dominate as long as the US keeps making decision in a vacuum
I think the timing and rush seems quite confusing, why all the hoopla and then it seems like a rush decision.

I think the timing and rush seems quite confusing, why all the hoopla and then it seems like a rush decision.

maybe there was no rush, maybe they just all agreed

I don't mind the pick. Would have preferred Freddie, but I think that DL3 has learned lot from Medinah, and from this last one, to see what we really need to win this next RC. Im excited to watch

I would say the selection process is very much broken on the American side, and play way too much into who the TV favorites are, as opposed to who's playing best golf even without experience. I will take young and hungry over experience when it comes to match play. The experience and strategy part, leave it to the captain and co-captains, the players are there to play. Give me a team full of the young guns like Spieth and Reed, full of energy and no fear. The team will bond through a common goal, rather than who's best buds. I have no problems with DL3 being the captain, the players respect him and are willing to listen, he just needs to strategize better this time around.

I don't mind the pick. A few improbable putts fail to go in at Medina and US wins. Europe straight won 2012 with stellar play in singles, not due to poor captaincy by DLIII. I imagine Couples will be an assistant captain, along with another, if not two more. I also don't think its too far fetched to consider that even though Zinger didn't want the job, they'll be asking for and getting plenty of input from him.

I remember after the whole Watson debacle that much was made about the difference betwen the American model where we just pick whoever is next in line and the European model where the captain is always an assistant captain first (often multiple times) and essentially learns the system in an apprentice role. Now this is pure speculation, but maybe DL3 is the pick to kickstart more of a European-style model on our side? He had far more success in the Friday/Saturday matches than any recent American captain and the players seemed to genuinely like him. If the plan is to reinstall him as captain and bring along assistant captains to whom he can teach whatever it is that worked so well (except for singles, of course), with an eye toward making those assistants future captains in order to start an organized system of our own, I think that would make a lot of sense.

Disclaimer: I know that the idea above assumes that DL3 had a unique approach to the team matches that is worth passing on to future captains. I have no idea whether he did or not. Just trying to kick start some discussion while allowing for the possibility that the committee has a reasoned approach and is not simply throwing out another repeat captain far too early in the process, which I admit is entirely possible.

I'm of the mindset that the captains chair doesn't have much to do with winning in the RC. You could draw straws for the matchups and have the same success imo.

From a spectator that doesnt know all the inter workings of the US committee and so forth I like it. I mean he put in great position to win when he lead us last not his fault the players couldnt close and Europe played lights out. It was a perfect storm. Outside looking in I like it.
I agree but something happened and the US lost its fire. I think there are a lot of great golfers hat would make fine captains for the RC. Why allow love to Captain again. Let someone else have a go at it.

I just don't understand the rush.

I agree but something happened and the US lost its fire. I think there are a lot of great golfers hat would make fine captains for the RC. Why allow love to Captain again. Let someone else have a go at it.

I just don't understand the rush.

They seemed like they had such a process in place and then it seemed they rushed a decision. Wonder if Azinger or Couples said they weren't interested.

Maybe he was like the 5th pick. Maybe no one wants to captain a bunch of indivduals and he was the fall, fall, fall, fall back guy.
They seemed like they had such a process in place and then it seemed they rushed a decision. Wonder if Azinger or Couples said they weren't interested.

Maybe he was like the 5th pick. Maybe no one wants to captain a bunch of indivduals and he was the fall, fall, fall, fall back guy.
Regardless of the captain, I'll be really curious to see the US team makeup, obviously some can play their way in, but I have a feeling the captain is going to go young with all their picks, new blood, less experience, no inhibitions!

That's assuming that the world rankings aren't complete BS. Which of course, they are!

They are flawed, yes, but it's at least a comparable across the board with WGC events and whatnot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I did read somewhere that Couples doesn't like the PGA, not the tour, but the Professional Golf Association of America as a governing body, so maybe thats why they didn't pick him, or vice versa and didn't want to do it.

I'm of the mindset that the captains chair doesn't have much to do with winning in the RC. You could draw straws for the matchups and have the same success imo.

Of course, it's the players that have to hit the shot, but to those that think the captain has no influence on how the team perform, I have 2 words. Nick Faldo!

Jordan, Reed and Fowler will lead the way. I see Brooks making the squad as well as JB Holmes. I'd like to see Peter U come play in the states. We will have a young hungry team.

I
Regardless of the captain, I'll be really curious to see the US team makeup, obviously some can play their way in, but I have a feeling the captain is going to go young with all their picks, new blood, less experience, no inhibitions!

Jordan, Reed and Fowler will lead the way. I see Brooks making the squad as well as JB Holmes. I'd like to see Peter U come play in the states. We will have a young hungry team.

I

I like the way that squad is shaping up.

Agreed. We have some killer young players who grew up playing match play. If all of them can come together and bond and click, we have a very good chance, regardless of captain

From Golf Channel FB page; "Davis is an excellent choice for many reasons. He's still connected to the players. He was very prepared and thorough in 2012. Davis will bring much needed continuity to the process.” - Paul Azinger

If Zinger is good with it, I'm good with it.

Back