Sand shot distance

jimnycricket65

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 14.7
I aim right of the target, open my clubs and my swing cuts across behind the ball. I normally dictate the distance by the speed of the swing and by loft of the club. How do you control your sand shot and its distance.

I aim right of the target, open my clubs and my swing cuts across behind the ball. I normally dictate the distance by the speed of the swing and by loft of the club. How do you control your sand shot and its distance.

Funny you should ask. This past weekend I hit somewhere in the 20s sand shots around the greens (don't ask why, it was ugly) I basically hit the same shot everywhere but varied the club, either 56 or 60 and varied the back swing. These shots ranged from 30 yards to being short sided with only a little green to work with. The Scor wedges are pretty good out of sand.

There's 3 ways to control it:

clubhead speed
loft
amount of sand taken

If you can try to keep the loft and the amount of sand taken the same and control distance with club head speed, it's a win for consistency. That's not to say there aren't times when you have to really lay the face open (or change clubs), or vary the amount of sand you take, but the fewer things you can change, the better.

I use a little different technique than most, I use Stan Utley's sand technique which you aim directly at what you are trying to hit. It is much better for aim and does take a little getting used to. I like it better than the old open stance open club face method but I do occassionally use it for short sided shots. I would advise you look at Utley's book "the art of scoring" or maybe check you tube. I'm not sure it's on youtube.

I usually change clubs to deal with different distances, though I'll shorten my backswing if I'm shortsided.

I usually change clubs to deal with different distances, though I'll shorten my backswing if I'm shortsided.

I do the same thing.

There's 3 ways to control it:

clubhead speed
loft
amount of sand taken

If you can try to keep the loft and the amount of sand taken the same and control distance with club head speed, it's a win for consistency. That's not to say there aren't times when you have to really lay the face open (or change clubs), or vary the amount of sand you take, but the fewer things you can change, the better.

That's the way. More sand = less distance and roll. Less sand = more distance and roll. You can vary your swing speed just make sure you accelerate through the ball. I just think about getting to a nice high finish for the shot.

I control the distance on mine by length of swing, loft, how open the face is, and how far behind the ball I hit. I use any and/or all of those methods depending on the shot. My distance control out of the sand is decent, though nothing that great.

Back