Scorecard Player Lines

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Why does a scorecard have 8 lines for players' scores?
Before anybody says tracking stats or bets, I am not asking what people use them for, but why they are actually there?

Before anybody says tracking stats or bets, I am not asking what people use them for, but why they are actually there?
It would come in handy if a group were playing 36 holes, so maybe that?

I have no clue, but I've always been curious why there was x amount of player spots, a page break and then x amount more. It's not always 8 though.

@JB I have NEVER seen a scorecard with 8 player lines......I think you are wrong AGAIN.....sorta like the long socks thing.....haha

• Admin
Not 100% certain but have seen the top used for one player with their score, net, and then any points if they're playing different kinds of match play. The bottom for the other person along the same lines... But I could definitely be wrong.

I suspect this will now be the most searched question on Google today!! :p

i mean, could it be that they actually are there to track bets and/or stats?

i mean, could it be that they actually are there to track bets and/or stats?

Its possible, but I think a lot of the stat tracking came after this.

I took at look at several old cards I have in my office and they were anywhere from 4 lines to 7 and some had a +/- handicap line in the center I'm guessing to assign strokes. The one common thing is that the ladies par/yardage/handicap was at the bottom. Perhaps this is a way to separate women from men on the card so the women can better see their scores vs their par and the handicap. Like two men would use the top to lines, two women on the bottom since the published info is different for the player.

Maybe to track gross and net for up to 4 players, I honestly have no clue and never really thought much of it.

There doesn't seem to be a standard number of lines. Always at least 4 for obvious reasons but then it varies. 8 blank lines for scores would be near the high end of the spectrum from what I've experienced. No clue as to why that many would be needed?

4 players per group - net and gross score thus 8 lines.

I took a look at the scorecards I kept from this year and all had either 4 lines for players or 5 total lines (4 for players and 1 for team/match score). No idea why a scorecard would ever have 8 slots for players.

I have absolutely zero clue.

I took a look at the scorecards I kept from this year and all had either 4 lines for players or 5 total lines (4 for players and 1 for team/match score). No idea why a scorecard would ever have 8 slots for players.

What's interesting is if you google golf scorecard and click images it is all over the map, but the first two show 8.
So I contacted a scorecard manufacturer and 8 is their most common order still currently. Here is the example they sent me which ironically is the Madison Club, rival club to the Hideaway.

Madison-CA2.jpg

What's interesting is if you google golf scorecard and click images it is all over the map, but the first two show 8.
So I contacted a scorecard manufacturer and 8 is their most common order still currently. Here is the example they sent me which ironically is the Madison Club, rival club to the Hideaway.

View attachment 8914687

Only thing I could think of is to agree with @wubears71 , 4 lines for gross score, 4 lines for net.

I'll bet wubears is right. Might be regional but looking at a bunch of cards it seems like 5 and 6 lines dominate here.

I'll bet wubears is right. Might be regional but looking at a bunch of cards it seems like 5 and 6 lines dominate here.

If 5 and 6 lines dominate, how could it be gross and net since golf is primarily done in foursomes?

All 4 of the course scorecards at my club have 6 lines. This is one of them:

0e7e4424bcf249da7fa5d1ad_m.jpg

And no one wears long socks with shorts there either.

All 4 of the course scorecards at my club have 6 lines. This is one of them:

0e7e4424bcf249da7fa5d1ad_m.jpg

And no one wears long socks with shorts there either.
BAM!!!!!

Back