Scotland in May '24

I can't speak to any of them other than what I've seen on video, but as I recall, there are six other courses at St Andrews, other than the Old Course, so if you have difficulty getting on, you check for availability on the others. From what I've seen they all look fantastic.
That is certainly the plan for me. Wednesday afternoon, Thursday and Friday are set aside for St. Andrews play only. Old, New, Jubilee, Castle & Eden in that order. I'm hoping for as many as possible.

That is certainly the plan for me. Wednesday afternoon, Thursday and Friday are set aside for St. Andrews play only. Old, New, Jubilee, Castle & Eden in that order. I'm hoping for as many as possible.

Go one day to CRAIL - not too expensive on par with the other courses you are talking about, not too far from St. Andrew’s -

you need some ocean views - trust me.

Plus one for Crail. They have 2 courses with Balcomie the original Tom Morris design. Craighead the other.
Lucky enough to play Balcomie twice and going back in 2025. Its already on the list for a return. 12 miles from St Andrews and amazing.

Go one day to CRAIL - not too expensive on par with the other courses you are talking about, not too far from St. Andrew’s -

Just watched a couple of YT videos featuring Crail last night. On my list, for sure.

Thanks for the advice on Crail. There is a very small chance, that just came up, that my 2 week Scotland stay might be extended for an additional 6 days. If that happens I will add the following courses to my trip: Crail, Lundin, Leven, Craigielaw, Monifieth.
As for the courses I have on my current itinerary I think for the most part I will get mostly all ocean views except for maybe Carnoustie and Muirfield.

Hey if you're going to be up by Monifieth and Carnoustie take a good long look at Panmure. Great history and a great tract. No Ocean views there but it's beautiful in a whole other way. Absolute Magic.
I am evangelical about Panmure.... Try to squeeze it in if possible.

A story....For those of you familiar with Golf in the Kingdom. Michael Murphy's epic book. There was a period of time that Crail was assumed to be the links of the book. The 9th is a replica of the one in the book. Crail even had a sign out front which aluded to Michael Murphy. The first time I visited Crail was based on this belief. It was prior to the 2nd course being open as well. Michael Murphy finally put to rest the fact that it wasn't Crail and candidly any interest I had prior in the Balcomie passed. The Craighead course I played once. After about the 5th time I sent a tee ball over a stone wall I commented to my caddie WTF. Never been back since.
Meantime Kingsbarns opened for play and now Dumbarnie. Both are exquisite but obviously $$$$$ vs Crail. Then there is Elie, Leven, Ludin all superior to Crail. Let's not forget New, Castle, Jubilee of St Andrews. So where does Crail really fit in a rotation of play just in Fife. It's 13th best. https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/scotland/fife?page=3

Thanks for the advice on Crail. There is a very small chance, that just came up, that my 2 week Scotland stay might be extended for an additional 6 days. If that happens I will add the following courses to my trip: Crail, Lundin, Leven, Craigielaw, Monifieth.
As for the courses I have on my current itinerary I think for the most part I will get mostly all ocean views except for maybe Carnoustie and Muirfield.
We are booked for a weekend in September playing Craigielaw and Kilspindie

Couple suggestions. Look up ginger beer golf. Chris created ballot buddy system. Singles can't ballot Old. This system puts singles in contact so they can ballot. If have to walk on Old be prepared to sleep out starting at 10pm. Simply put there are many just like you. Place is over run with wanna players.
Crude is Fab they have extra 9 St Olafs. It's consid e Ted best 9 holer in all of Scotland.
Pretty much you get what you pay for. Most of the club's are private but allow ov e depending visitors. It subsidizes their members. But the club's have been ov e r run. So they are increasing visitor rates a lot and restricting. No one really wants a walk up single. Write in advance.
Top100golfcourses.com is a great resource. Take a look by region to come up with potential plays.
Ellie best of lower cost in St Andrews. Kingsbarns Dumbarnie are best but are 400 to 500.
Good Luck
Crail is about 6 Good holes. Pay up for Dumbarnie instead or go to Elle @TheHeez
So far I'm on for Royal Dornach, Golspie, Cruden Bay and maybe Stone Haven.
Still going to try for The Old Course with the new system for singles. I've got 4-5 days around St. Andrews so I'll play something there abouts for sure, maybe 2.

Anyone who's gone over changed their wedge set up?
I currently play 54/14 and 58/12 '19 PM grinds.
Thinkin' about pulling those and putting in a 56/10 Jaws raw s grind.
Thoughts?

So far I'm on for Royal Dornach, Golspie, Cruden Bay and maybe Stone Haven.
Still going to try for The Old Course with the new system for singles. I've got 4-5 days around St. Andrews so I'll play something there abouts for sure, maybe 2.

Thoughts?
Contact Gingerbeergolftravel for chance to pair up and be able to enter ballot for Old. Doubles your chances of playing vs just walk up sign up. I find that the greens there are firmer than you are accustom to. Into wind everything stops quick. Down wind nothing stops quick. I tend to do more low approaches anticipating the run out. Bunkers in front of greens much less there than here. Putter from off green I use often. If you have a preferred wedge set up you use when lies are very tight, go with that.
Royal Dornoch is just so devine. Enjoy. Cruden Bay is one of my faves. There are a few holes there which are quite tricky. Definitely get the book and follow the tips shown. First par 5 do not be aggressive, that green is like a needle in haystack.

Contact Gingerbeergolftravel for chance to pair up and be able to enter ballot for Old. Doubles your chances of playing vs just walk up sign up. I find that the greens there are firmer than you are accustom to. Into wind everything stops quick. Down wind nothing stops quick. I tend to do more low approaches anticipating the run out. Bunkers in front of greens much less there than here. Putter from off green I use often. If you have a preferred wedge set up you use when lies are very tight, go with that.
Royal Dornoch is just so devine. Enjoy. Cruden Bay is one of my faves. There are a few holes there which are quite tricky. Definitely get the book and follow the tips shown. First par 5 do not be aggressive, that green is like a needle in haystack.
Greens firmer than my local desert muni? o_O

Thoughts?
I was wondering if this was or should be a thing. Tight lines and a full bounce wedge may be slightly tricky. Not impossible, but not easy either.

Check out this YT channel.
Go down the rabbit hole.... They have a lot of seaside links courses you've never heard of and if you're on a budget, there are quite a few inexpensive tracks.

Dunbar was fun. Played there in 2022. Right on the water.
So many little known, great courses. Quite a few on the water, often par 65-68 layouts it seems.

Hey if you're going to be up by Monifieth and Carnoustie take a good long look at Panmure. Great history and a great tract. No Ocean views there but it's beautiful in a whole other way. Absolute Magic.
I am evangelical about Panmure.... Try to squeeze it in if possible.
Monifieth (Medal) & Panmure are now scheduled for Monday April 29th as I have added a week to my trip.

wow. Lucky you. Ben Hogan history at Panmure and Tom Watson history at Monifieth. So glad you are playing both. Tom has a plaque at Monifieth and Ben has a bunker at Panmure.... Make sure you get a look at the locker room at Panmure. The benches will make you want to bring back metal spikes.

My wife and I are going to Scotland in May 2024 for 3 weeks.
Family heritage, sightseeing and 4-5 rounds of golf.
Hoping to get on the Old Course as a single, then hit various other courses throughout the country as we travel.
We are staying a few days each in Inverness, Aberdeen area, Glencoe, Edinburgh and St Andrews.
Going to try to get a round at Cruden Bay and Stonehaven. while in that area.
Any other suggestions for reasonably priced ( Old Course and Cruden Bay are my $$$ plays) ?
I suggest you fit Kingsbarns in - awesome track

I suggest you fit Kingsbarns in - awesome track
Too much $$. Close to $500? Nope.

23 Mar – 30 Apr 2024 £352.00
Replay round within 7 days £212.00
1 May – 3 Nov 2024 £418.00 @ 1.3 exchange rate = $543 roughly.
Replay round within 7 days £250.00

Last edited:
Too much $$. Close to $500? Nope.

23 Mar – 30 Apr 2024 £352.00
Replay round within 7 days £212.00
1 May – 3 Nov 2024 £418.00 @ 1.3 exchange rate = $543 roughly.
Replay round within 7 days £250.00
I played Dumbarnie on the first Tuesday I got here, last week actually. The following day I played Kingsbarns. My caddie at Kingsbarns asked me, "how many times did you say wow yesterday @ Dumbarnie?" I replied with oh boy a handful for sure. Then he asked me, "how many times have you said wow today?" My reply, almost every hole.

Kingsbarns was very special. I get the cost, for sure. However, a once in a lifetime trip that cost loads of money, how much % wise of the overall cost of the trip would a tee time cost at Kingsbarns?

I played Dumbarnie on the first Tuesday I got here, last week actually. The following day I played Kingsbarns. My caddie at Kingsbarns asked me, "how many times did you say wow yesterday @ Dumbarnie?" I replied with oh boy a handful for sure. Then he asked me, "how many times have you said wow today?" My reply, almost every hole.

Kingsbarns was very special. I get the cost, for sure. However, a once in a lifetime trip that cost loads of money, how much % wise of the overall cost of the trip would a tee time cost at Kingsbarns?
Yeah, I get it. Appreciate the input. I'm not going just for golf, but for historical and family heritage interests as well. And while my wife encorages me to play this silly, ancient game, I don't want take away from our time with other endeavors.
And, I'm already playing Dornach, Cruden Bay, Golspie, The Old (Hopefully), Dunbar and probably one other lesser known track.
I'd also like to play the older courses.

Last edited:
Kingsbarns is #1 on the list I played over there.I know its pricier one but it was a good one

Kingsbarns is #1 on the list I played over there.I know its pricier one but it was a good one
Maybe if I can't get on the Old as a single.....
That would be the only way to fit my budget.

Back