Scotland in May '24

Those who have traveled over, did you bring your own sticks or play rentals?
I took my own clubs. Would never even think of going all the way over there and play golf club roulette. I used miles to upgrade my flight and got my bag for free.

You have to take your clubs. Makes no sense being there 3 weeks without them. Some places don't have much as rentals. Especially the 2nd tier places.
Did you connect with Chris at Gingerbeer re Ballot buddy? That's your best bet for getting on Old.
There's a 7 day golf pass for St Andrews courses. Look into that. Doesn't cover Old but if you get it and play some you may have better chance to create an angle of attack for play at Old.
Cruden Bay is best bang for buck in all of Scotland. Elaine Stephan is Sec. Give her a call.
The golf that most want to play in the areas you'll be is just not cheap. Elie outside of St Andrews is good value.
Kingsbarns, Dumbarnie, Carnoustie, Castle Stuart now Cabot Highlands, Royal Aberdeen, Royal Dornoch are all world ranked top100 courses and cost 400.
Brora a bit of a hike from Inverness but is pretty dynamic course. $150ish
Haven’t contacted Gingerbeer yet. On my list. I’m a single, so was just gonna try the daily que At SA.

You’re going to the best of Scotland tracks. You really want to be in the shadow of some of them and not? :(

Unless you go often, then wtf lol
Yeah, I know. Will discuss with Mrs. El Rayo X

Haven’t contacted Gingerbeer yet. On my list. I’m a single, so was just gonna try the daily que At SA.
The purpose of ballot buddy is putting singles together so they can enter the ballot.

I'm going over for two weeks. I couldn't imagine playing that much in Scotland without my own clubs. When looking at the overall cost to go over, paying a couple hundred dollars more for your own clubs is in the grand scheme of things a pretty small cost. Find a way to bring your clubs.

We are heading to Scotland this year for a nice vacation. If I do golf Ill only be able to golf once. Ill be fishing most of the time and seeing sights my wife wants to go see. Looking for an affordable course by the ocean that I can jump on and get some rental clubs. I'm not going to bring my clubs for one round, thats silly. Looking like we will be around the Stirling area.

Those who have traveled over, did you bring your own sticks or play rentals?
I think it depends on your schedule. We spent the first week in London and then on to Scotland. Did not want to haul clubs around. St. Andrews has the latest Callaway Apex. Kingsbarns had Titleist (Scotty Cameron putters!). I just brought apparel, balls, and shoes.

I did a trip there just in June. Played carnoustie, St. Andrews (got very lucky I got on with 2 locals checking in), Kings barns, dumbarnie, St. Andrews castle and Renaissance.

If we were to do it again we would skip carnoustie. Kings barns and dumbarnie were both fantastic courses.

Happy to chat further with you about what to do, eat, etc. I did a write up on THP shortly after.

I did a trip there just in June. Played carnoustie, St. Andrews (got very lucky I got on with 2 locals checking in), Kings barns, dumbarnie, St. Andrews castle and Renaissance.

If we were to do it again we would skip carnoustie. Kings barns and dumbarnie were both fantastic courses.

Happy to chat further with you about what to do, eat, etc. I did a write up on THP shortly after.
What didn't you like about Carnoustie?

What didn't you like about Carnoustie?
Compared to the other courses we played it was towards the bottom. Funny thing is I shot the best there out of any other course

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Compared to the other courses we played it was towards the bottom. Funny thing is I shot the best there out of any other course

Why was it on the bottom? Sorry to ask, it is on my agenda while I'm there. To be played on Sunday April 21st

Greens were poor?

Fairways were shaggy?

To many divots unrepaired?

To busy?

Poor Caddies?

Thanks

I’m getting excited for July, just booked our VRBOs and the one in St. Andrews is incredible…5 minute walk to the Old Course first tee. Going to have 5 days in town to try and make the ballot work.

Strongly consider Kings Course and Centenary courses at Glen Eagles. A little pricey but worth it! Special rates if you do both in a day and you can use a golf cart on the Centenary Ryder Cup venue.

Absolute lower priced gems - North Berwick and Crail should be looked at. Both on the water most of the holes. Very impressed

Why was it on the bottom? Sorry to ask, it is on my agenda while I'm there. To be played on Sunday April 21st

Greens were poor?

Fairways were shaggy?

To many divots unrepaired?

To busy?

Poor Caddies?

Thanks
Pace of play is great at most Scotland courses cause it's unlike American golf where the social aspect of drinking / eating is on the course. It's all done after the round in the clubhouse.

When we played it ws a drought so the fairways were brown, the fesque (scrub) was not really an issue and just not very picturesque. Our caddy was very good. He was actually the assistant greens keeper.

I just feel that for what it is, I don't need to play it again honestly.... I really enjoyed kings barns alot more than Carnoustie...

Oh and make sure for any course during which you're not taking a caddy, reserve an electric trolley. It helps alot given the amount of walking you'll be doing.

Pace of play is great at most Scotland courses cause it's unlike American golf where the social aspect of drinking / eating is on the course. It's all done after the round in the clubhouse.

When we played it ws a drought so the fairways were brown, the fesque (scrub) was not really an issue and just not very picturesque. Our caddy was very good. He was actually the assistant greens keeper.

I just feel that for what it is, I don't need to play it again honestly.... I really enjoyed kings barns alot more than Carnoustie...

Oh and make sure for any course during which you're not taking a caddy, reserve an electric trolley. It helps alot given the amount of walking you'll be doing.

OK, Thanks for the input.

They have two types of carts, correct? Pull carts and electric "pull" carts, that essentially walk along with you. If that makes sense.

Agree 100% when not using a caddy rent a cart. As much as I hope to play, there will not be a day that I "carry" my clubs. Every round will be with a caddy (Kingsbarns, St. Andrews, Carnoustie, North Berwick, Muirfield) or a cart (Dumbarnie, Elie, Gullane, Dunbar, The Glen).

They have two types of carts, correct? Pull carts and electric "pull" carts, that essentially walk along with you. If that makes sense.

Agree 100% when not using a caddy rent a cart. As much as I hope to play, there will not be a day that I "carry" my clubs. Every round will be with a caddy (Kingsbarns, St. Andrews, Carnoustie, North Berwick, Muirfield) or a cart (Dumbarnie, Elie, Gullane, Dunbar, The Glen).
Since we seemingly have a majority of the same caddie rounds (great choices by the way) I’m curious why Gullane is your one riding round? Just a natural, ow my legs are sore and I need to let them rest?

I’m looking forward to going someday, seems like there are a lot of hacks for this kind of trip.

Playing Muirfield. Sweet. Having been many times with a myriad of buds. Whenever we get done with a trip I always have the guys rank what we just played. Predominantly the feedback mirrors that which you'll see on any of the ratings databases. I like Top100 as anyone can rate and the database is so broad. Here's the Scotland list. https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/scotland
Many of the better places you want to play there only allow a riding cart with a medical cert and in advance. As they might only have one or two.

Yes there are. We learned after the first round you need to reserve all caddies and most electric walking carts. Also, buggies (golf carts) are only available if you have a serious physical ailment.

Since we seemingly have a majority of the same caddie rounds (great choices by the way) I’m curious why Gullane is your one riding round? Just a natural, ow my legs are sore and I need to let them rest?
I will have a cart for Gullane #1 & 2, a 36 hole Monday. However, if I'm feeling a bit sore or tired I may go the caddy route. As much walking as I do in the Fall during the hunting season carrying an 6-8 lb gun I feel walking while pulling/pushing a cart will work for me.

Playing Muirfield. Sweet. Having been many times with a myriad of buds. Whenever we get done with a trip I always have the guys rank what we just played. Predominantly the feedback mirrors that which you'll see on any of the ratings databases. I like Top100 as anyone can rate and the database is so broad. Here's the Scotland list. https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/scotland
Many of the better places you want to play there only allow a riding cart with a medical cert and in advance. As they might only have one or two.

Yeah no riding cart for me. Caddy or push cart every day.

Muirfield on my last day @ 1120. Bringing my suit coat and tie to get inside the club house. Will only play 18 though

I will have a cart for Gullane #1 & 2, a 36 hole Monday. However, if I'm feeling a bit sore or tired I may go the caddy route. As much walking as I do in the Fall during the hunting season carrying an 6-8 lb gun I feel walking while pulling/pushing a cart will work for me.
Oof a double, hell yeah you are

Oof a double, hell yeah you are
There will be a few days where I attempt to play 36 holes. Saturday @ Dumbarnie then Elie. Monday @ Gullane #1 & 2, Tuesday @ New Berwick & The Glen, Wednesday @ Dunbar & North Berwick a 2nd time.

Might be the only time I go to Scotland. I'm going to burn the candle on both ends. I told myself I am not going get cheated. LOL

Last edited:
I can't speak to any of them other than what I've seen on video, but as I recall, there are six other courses at St Andrews, other than the Old Course, so if you have difficulty getting on, you check for availability on the others. From what I've seen they all look fantastic.

Back