JCA1970

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone else here into SCUBA diving?

I've been doing it for about 20 years - between SCUBA gear and golf gear I'm surprised I'm not broke!!!

Dived in Cozumel, Oman, New Zealand, Thailand, Mediterranean, and Indonesia.

Thailand is the best so far, but will be going to North Sulawesi and Komodo this year.

that's awesome stuff, you've dove in a lot of the same places i've snorkled, haha! never dove myself, but have always wanted to. i bet you have some sweet underwater pics you'd like to share.

btw, my favorite place to snorkle was off the coast of Townsville, in QLD, Australia.

Been diving since 89 and I'm an avid spearfisher. The water has been too cold for my blood to dive lately.

I make about 100 dives a year. I'll dive anywhere from 160' and up. I mainly dive anywhere from 100 miles offshore in the gulf and I try to make it to North Carolina once a year.

I also help run a tournament here locally and I am a weigh-master for 3 spearfishing tournaments and 1 kingfish tournament annually.

Here are some of the fish and lobster I've taken. Needless to say, I love fresh fish and lobster.

10p9cox.jpg

33ctduo.jpg

ogg9r5.jpg

8x8pb9.jpg

27xnup5.jpg

n3os2b.jpg

bhms2.jpg

288a621.jpg

Now that is way cool. Great pictures biggsy. What the heck kind of fish has the big lips, lol?

Like tc, all I've ever done is snorkle. Liz and I got to go to Atlantas Resort a few years ago in Nassau and snorle, swim with the dolphins type stuff. Nothing like what you scuba guys can do.

Now that is way cool. Great pictures biggsy. What the heck kind of fish has the big lips, lol?

Like tc, all I've ever done is snorkle. Liz and I got to go to Atlantas Resort a few years ago in Nassau and snorle, swim with the dolphins type stuff. Nothing like what you scuba guys can do.
Thanks guys.

It's a hogfish. The meat is as white as milk and one of my favorites. Very rare to find it in a restaurant.

wow biggsy! let me know next time you're going lobster hunting, i'll be there for supper!:D

My underwater pics are with a small point and shoot which doesn't have great range with the flash (which definitely helps).

I don't think I'm allowed to post pics yet as I only joined today and don't have enough posts yet!! Once I get to the required level I'll put a few up.

meant to say that limited flash doens't help!!

Welcome aboard JCA! Thought that would fit the post well, hehe.

My. Freakin. Goodness.

How do you get into a hobby like spearfishing?!

I once was interested in scuba diving a while back... Couldn't find the time to train :sad:

But looking at those pictures... I want to go fishing... with a spear... underwater... while scuba diving...

I've been enlightened.

My. Freakin. Goodness.

How do you get into a hobby like spearfishing?!

I once was interested in scuba diving a while back... Couldn't find the time to train :sad:

But looking at those pictures... I want to go fishing... with a spear... underwater... while scuba diving...

I've been enlightened.
Start diving first and become proficient at that so it's second nature and then start task loading, like spearfishing. It's hard to do them both at the same time when first starting out, but it can be done. I dove for 13 years before I put a gun in my hand and I've been hooked on it ever since.

I can't begin to describe how unbelievably beautiful and serene it is underwater and being able to hunt in a foreign environment adds to the enjoyment.

There is great spearfishing off the coast of Texas.

I'm also a moderator for the most popular online spearfishing forum on the planet. If you have any questions, just shoot them my way.

Oh, btw, it's one of Tiger's favorite hobbies. :D

Hi dtak

If you wanted to do SCUBA you can do it in 4 days - in fact you can do the theory online now with PADI and then just go to you local SCUBA school and do the dives.

Spear fishing with SCUBA equipment is illegal in some countries, so you should always check before trying it abroad.

Start diving first and become proficient at that so it's second nature and then start task loading, like spearfishing. It's hard to do them both at the same time when first starting out, but it can be done. I dove for 13 years before I put a gun in my hand and I've been hooked on it ever since.

I can't begin to describe how unbelievably beautiful and serene it is underwater and being able to hunt in a foreign environment adds to the enjoyment.

There is great spearfishing off the coast of Texas.

I'm also a moderator for the most popular online spearfishing forum on the planet. If you have any questions, just shoot them my way.

Oh, btw, it's one of Tiger's favorite hobbies. :D

Hi dtak

If you wanted to do SCUBA you can do it in 4 days - in fact you can do the theory online now with PADI and then just go to you local SCUBA school and do the dives.

Spear fishing with SCUBA equipment is illegal in some countries, so you should always check before trying it abroad.

Thanks to you both! I will definitely be looking into this!

dtak

go to padi.com for more info about eLearning.

Scuba can be an incredibly expensive sport, makes golf look extremely cheap by comparison. I have only been on 3 dives & they were all while at Cozumel. Probably some of my best experiences of all time so far, being 55-60' down & just going with the drift was fun. Our dive master had us feeding snowflake eels which was a little scary but unforgettable.

i was padi certified in hawaii ages ago... its been way too long... id love to dive again but dont really have the time or money

Some pics from Thailand

Some pics from Thailand

As promised here are some pictures from my last trip to Thailand at the beginning of January.

4361511016_4f603c95d4.jpg

Ornamental Ghostpipe Fish

4361474696_bb5ede246b.jpg

Yellow Edged Moray

4360739261_a580168120.jpg

Hawksbill Turtle

4361486496_bed6385b00.jpg

Juvenile Rockmover Wrasse

4361490630_9e7fa901a0.jpg

Tigertail Seahorse

4361497726_9046aac2ae.jpg

Leopard Shark

4360763385_bf3569833d.jpg

Giant Moray

4273136788_c4e6e10656.jpg

Sunset from Long Beach, Koh Lanta in Thailand

Very, very cool pics. Thanks.

Re: SCUBA Diving

I did free diving in OBX and virginia beach now I live in mi so no more.

Scuba can be an incredibly expensive sport, makes golf look extremely cheap by comparison. I have only been on 3 dives & they were all while at Cozumel. Probably some of my best experiences of all time so far, being 55-60' down & just going with the drift was fun. Our dive master had us feeding snowflake eels which was a little scary but unforgettable.

+1 dyna....Cozumel is my fave place to dive....so easy on you with all the drifts, etc

I did free diving in OBX and virginia beach now I live in mi so no more.

free diving as in snorkeling?
or like the movie big blue free diving... hundreds of feet without tanks?
i didnt know you could do that here... id like to check that out

Re: SCUBA Diving

bogey_russ said:
free diving as in snorkeling?
or like the movie big blue free diving... hundreds of feet without tanks?
i didnt know you could do that here... id like to check that out
Blue water. where do you live?

Back