Set GW or traditional Gap Wedge?

Vegan702

Reaction score
Handicap
Exploding
I have been pondering this for some time and haven't really come to a conclusion on why one plays better. I have typically played a traditional wedge that matches up with my sand and lob wedge and experimented with a set gap wedge off an on. It seems I only use my gap wedge for full distances and use my sand or lob for anything less than 100yds. When using a traditional wedge of 50* for my current and 2 previous set of irons, it usually maxes out at 100yds, maybe a tad more. If I use a set gap wedge I can get about 10 more yds out of it. But then this leaves me with a huge gap from the set gap wedge to my sand wedge 54* that I only carry about 80-85yds on full shots. So I am always trying to push my 50* as my PW is my 125yd club. I have to fill a space from 85-125. Do I just keep playing the traditional wedge and know I will always have to try and hit a 3/4 PW (which I don't do well) to get into the 105-115 range? It seems if I try and get the 50* to the 105-110 range I always screw it up some how trying to get more distance out of it.

So to summarize that mess above, 9i 135yds, PW 125yds, set GW 115yds, 54* 85yds, 58* 70ish yds. If I go the other way, 9i 135yds, PW 125yds, traditional 50* 100yds, 54* 85yds, 58* 70ish yds.

I don't know if it is swing related why I don't carry traditional wedges as far, is it equipment related in that the Vokeys just aren't made the same and offer less distance on full shots?

Do different wedges across manufacturers in the same lofts with the same shafts go different distances? ex Vokey to a 588 to a MD2, etc?

Since I just purchased the altitudes, MT and TTs, I was thinking maybe switching brands of wedges as my Vokeys are getting to the end of their groove life and have been beat up pretty good. Was thinking of switching to the 588 RTX CB in a 50* and then 588 RTX in the 54 and 58 or 55 and 60. I would assume the 588RTX CB offers some added forgiveness over the 588RTX, but not sure?

I am actually just lost on what to do lol.

My guess the set wedge is longer than the Traditional that is why you get a few more yards

It really depends on what you are look for as far as distance gaping as to what you use i use my gap wedge around the green so i like to be able to open it up i find set wedges harder to open so i play Traditional type

From what I'm reading I don't know why you wouldn't go with a set wedge. As for the distance discrepancy, my guess is that it's a combo of a shade more distance out of the set wedge, contact, and forgiveness.

Have always liked the set AW more than the others, sounds like that might be the best direction for you too

Yeah, just ordered the set gap wedge. Will wait until everything gets here to order the additional wedges to see what distances I am getting with the PW and GW.

I wouldnt trade my set gap wedge for ANYTHING! Favorite club in the bag.

I am a convert to the set Gap Wedge...I used to order wedges separately.,..but the set GW is made to fit seamlessly into your set....swing like your set and since it will be used for alot of full shots that should make it easier for you to hit in theory.

I am a convert to the set Gap Wedge...I used to order wedges separately.,..but the set GW is made to fit seamlessly into your set....swing like your set and since it will be used for alot of full shots that should make it easier for you to hit in theory.

Actually once I typed that post out last night and re read it this morning it made the most sense to order the set GW. I rarely use it for less then full shots and around the greens I will use anything from a 6i up to lob wedge depending on situation, but mostly my 54* and PW.

Yeah, just ordered the set gap wedge. Will wait until everything gets here to order the additional wedges to see what distances I am getting with the PW and GW.

good move, I think you will like what you see

I would play whatever wedges that give you consistent yardage gaps. Mine are 47, 52, 56, 60 and carry distances are: 130, 118, 106, 90. I like having my gap wedge and sand wedge bounce match so I can use the gap wedge for longer(25+ yd) green side bunker shots. It's much easier for me to blast a GW 30 yards than a lob or sand wedge.

I had the same problem you are experiencing which got worse when the gaps expanded with a new iron set that pushed my PW further out. My 45 degree PW goes 130-135. The set AW will go 115-120, but a 50 degree non matching wedge will only go about 110 even after I stuck a shaft extender in it. That's a 20-25 yard gap. A 56 SW will stretch to maybe 95 and I can only horse a 60 degree lob to maybe 60 yards going straight up, So my gaps are huge. When I face a tweener distance I have to take something off the club above it, I can't squeeze more out of the club below.

I went with the set AW which is almost exclusively hit on full shots and lately I'm getting rid of the 60 and using the 56 for everything around the green.

Have always liked the set AW more than the others, sounds like that might be the best direction for you too

Agreed 100%. It just seems to flow much better when transitioning from the irons down the the gap.

If you believe in Scor's theory then it is better to have clubs 40* and up with traditional wedges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I always carry the AW with my set. It's one of my favorite clubs

I've never had the set gap wedge in my bag. Before my current set I had a gaping issue with a 45* loft going to a 53*.

Now I have a 44 Cleveland MT PW and Hopkins 50/54/58 I feel like my distance gaping is better from 100-130, working out gaps from 135-150 though

Using Tapatalk

Sorry if I skimmed and missed it, but did order/have you tried the TT DW? Because I do, and I love it. If you haven't tried that, you should give it a go. I find it to be very versatile.

Back