Shaft flex, your ego and you...

Interesting question. I am currently playing a regular flex in the Radspeed. It is giving me success so far on the course. I would like to compare with the stiff flex shafts I just received. I have always played stiff flex so we will see. The regular flex does feel looser or whippier than the stiff but I kind of like it.

I’ve never been fitted. But no. While I lean towards Stiff+ or X-stiff (whatever that means), it really depends on the shaft and the profile. I’m open to all as long as I can control it and it fits the shot I need.

I’ll play whatever shaft I’m fit into, senior - xstiff. Flex doesn’t matter to me, if it’s the right fit.

I don’t give 💩💩 what shaft I’m using. I just want to get the ball in the hole 18 times with as few knocks as possible!

Dropped down a flex to regular throughout the bag last year. To be honest I don’t see much difference in the numbers between regular and stiff, and I know my SS is borderline between the two anyways.

I play R flex in my driver, FW and hybrids, S flex in my irons. I didn't even know my irons were S until I went for my fitting last year and the fitter looked at them (I was fit for those irons 10 years ago, guess I never paid attention to it - I always thought they were R). I told him I should probably try R flex in the irons too, but we tried it and the numbers/performance were better with S in my irons so I stuck with it on his recommendation. If R (or even A) had been better performers, I would have changed without hesitation. I had even been debating going A flex in my driver, but he had me hit a few and said it wasn't a good fit.

What works, works. Only thing that matters is the number on the scorecard.

I've played Regular flex shafts for the past 20 years or so. I have a "senior" shaft that I've tried in my driver, but I see or feel no difference from the Regular flex shaft.

It doesn't matter what the letter on the shaft says if it provides the flight, yardage and feel i'm looking for it will go in the bag.

I have always played Stiff, Never X. As of late i have adjusted my Driver Shaft down to Regular HZRDUS Smoke. Love the feel and it plays well for me.

I am now dropping test shafts in my irons, in Regular, so no, its time to start test in that flex for me, if it works, so be it

Zero issues. When I was fit last year at Club Champion my SS was down due to injury, lack of working out, etc. And I saw big gains in driver. As I've worked on fitness and technique the swing speed has gone up and I'm seeing less consistency - but, that's fitting.

Irons are still good (C-Taper Lite R), the ~50g R flex shaft in the driver less so.

I play R flex in my driver, FW and hybrids, S flex in my irons. I didn't even know my irons were S until I went for my fitting last year and the fitter looked at them (I was fit for those irons 10 years ago, guess I never paid attention to it - I always thought they were R). I told him I should probably try R flex in the irons too, but we tried it and the numbers/performance were better with S in my irons so I stuck with it on his recommendation. If R (or even A) had been better performers, I would have changed without hesitation. I had even been debating going A flex in my driver, but he had me hit a few and said it wasn't a good fit.
Same as you, R in top of the bag, Recoil F4 stiff in irons and wedges.👍

So long as I’m playing the best I can, I don’t care what flex I’m using. Right now, I’ve got anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 flex in my clubs. Use what works best for you.

Wouldn’t bother me at all. I’m actually in regular flex iron shafts right now from a self fit and am proud of it. Played stiff my whole golf life and have no issues dropping if it’s helping my game

I’ve never understood the equipment ego thing, any more than I do the obsession with playing the longest possible tee boxes. I’ve always thought the idea of golf was to shoot the lowest score, not a contest of whose bag looks the best in the parking lot.

If I wanted to do my ego a favor, I’d rather shoot an 82 from the appropriate tee boxes with GI clubs and R flex shafts than to shoot a 115 from the tips playing blades with XS shafts. Or just hang around the clubhouse all day with that sweet pro looking bag and let everybody admire my WITB. 😆

I would think that the guys playing X shafts will at some point be told by their body what they will be able to play. Mother nature has a way of catching up. Closest I have got to a fitting is taking more than one driver to the range. An employee checked my swing speed several years ago at Golfsmith in Sarasota, 75, so I'm sure it's down to 65/70 now, mother nature again.

I had thought about it in the past but my recent trackman numbers confirm I need to actually go up to x flex....at least in my woods

Most golfers who are playing clubs that are too stiff don't fully understand the consequences. Golf gets much harder when you're playing shafts that are too stiff and your body takes a beating.
I messed with X7s one year. Holes 12-17 were so difficult to keep up with them.

I primarily been an X guy, but at my fitting stiff possibly stepped or tipped was mentioned, I didn't flinch. Whatever gets me there and is more accurate!

It wouldn't hurt my ego at all. That was part of the reason I went in for a driver fitting because I was questioning if I should change, and even though the fitting wasn't what I wanted - I did leaving knowing for certain I was playing the right flex in shaft.

Considering there isn't really a standard across manufacturers to determine flex, it wouldn't bother me at all, but I also think that your requirements will change over time as your swing develops

My last set of irons were regular flex (Modus Tour 130), current ones are x-stiff (Modus Tour 105)

I have seen guys have a ladies hybrid with a much weaker flex shaft then everything else in their bag and just stripe it. With that said, if I am fit for it then I would trust the fitter especially if I felt my swing was good that day and I saw results I liked as well.

Back