TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
This may be hard to answer without knowing my stats exactly, but I'll give it a try.

I have not been to a lauch monitor but I think I can confidently say my swing speed is under 100- probably closer to 90. I hit my drives straight-rarely going far off target. They go where I aim. (mostly!)

I started with a 'superloft' (16+) driver and reg flex (Fit-On Gold). I hit it around 180 with a nice high flight.

I then moved to a 11.5 reg flex in the same model. I hit that around 195 with a nice high flight and a nice roll.

I then moved to a 10.5 stiff, same brand different model. I hit that one around 210 with a slightly lower flight and nice roll. (this was the same fit-on gold shaft, but slightly longer)

Stangely I don't really see any difference between using the stiff and regular stafts. Pretty sure the distance gain has been due to the longer shaft and lower loft. Is my SS just in an in-between place where it doesn't matter?

What is generally the best shaft combination for someone in my shoes (medium-low SS, straight shooter, medium-high ball flight, 210 average drive) to get some more distance out of my shots. Should I be sticking with regular flex?

Thanks in advance.

The only way to be sure would be to get on a launch monitor and compare your launch angles, swing speed, ball speed and distance using different clubs, each in a series of different lofts and shaft flexes. The general rule (if there is such a thing) was that a SS of 95 mph was the cut point between an R or an S flex, but lots of variables come into play, speed of your transition, and the individual shaft flexes of different makes and models of shafts. Let the LM make the choice, don't fall in love with anything first.

Please keep this section clear until the THP Pro has had a chance to answer. Thanks.

TS you are right in the area that puts you between flexes. 90-95 is right on the boarder between reg and stiff. I would like to see you try 1 of 2 things to see what fits and works better for you. A light weight stiff (45-55 gram with some play in the tip) would be a good option for you. Or a mid weight (60-70 gram) regular shaft. The weight of the shaft also plays a big role in finding the proper shaft. Try those out and see if you don't find one that works better than the other.

TS you are right in the area that puts you between flexes. 90-95 is right on the boarder between reg and stiff. I would like to see you try 1 of 2 things to see what fits and works better for you. A light weight stiff (45-55 gram with some play in the tip) would be a good option for you. Or a mid weight (60-70 gram) regular shaft. The weight of the shaft also plays a big role in finding the proper shaft. Try those out and see if you don't find one that works better than the other.

Thanks- will try that and let you know.

Pro -- I agree 1000 % that the proper weight plus proper flex is huge. You always do a great job amollured!

So an update. I did a proper swing analysis and found..... I need to be using regular flex shafts. The place I went had Mx-900's, and TM 08 Burners with a variety of different shafts and flexes, from a 44 regular to a 75 gram stiff shaft.

Turns out I can get away with the stiff when the shafts are lighter, 44-55 (like with my Launcher 09) and I get good control and a lower flight- but it is really costing me distance. The Regular flex I hit really, really well, while the A and senior flexes are waaaaay to whippy.

With heavier shafts there is no comparison at all, the stiff shafts just don't work for me while the regular and even the amateur flexes work much better.

So just because I CAN hit a stiff shaft doesn't mean I should be hitting one.

The recommendations for me were a reg flex 11-12 degree matched with a shaft of 60-70 grams or a reg flex 10-10.5 degree matched with a shaft less than 55 grams.

Amazing how much difference a shaft can make.

Great to hear. I am happy you found something that will work.

Glad to see you found something that works...but bear in mind, your philosophy, when making future decisions will not always be the same because there is no industry standard in shaft flexes...what may be labled "Stiff" from one mfg may be a regular from someone else...in the case with some manufacturers, the flex designations are radically different between their own line up from model to model. Grafalloy is a perfect example of inconsistent shaft designation among it's own product line.

Also, shaft flex designations are lazily taken while clamped and the BUTT flex is measured,...they don't do a true shaft profile which is the TRUE determining factor in how a shaft will play.

Finally, the head being mated to the shaft will be anywhere from negligibly to moderately affect shaft/club performance because the heads also vary in weight, bore depth and BBGM.

This is kinda a question for this section I believe.

I have been hitting a 10.5* Launcher DST (47g shaft), I seem to hit a decent distance (240-250), but the ball doesn't get to high up in the air. Would a stiff 10.5* shaft help the ball get up a little bit higher? the shaft is the diamana red 44 that is stock.

I have been hitting a 10.5* Launcher DST (47g shaft), I seem to hit a decent distance (240-250), but the ball doesn't get to high up in the air. Would a stiff 10.5* shaft help the ball get up a little bit higher? the shaft is the diamana red 44 that is stock.
generally a stiffer shaft would bring the ball flight down.With so many options as to flex profiles of various shafts it's hard to say though.

Yeah, at least from what I found the stiffer shafts brought the ball down- not up.

You guys are right the stiffer shaft would bring down the launch angle. Plus the diamana red board is a high launch shaft. To bring up the ball flight in this case would be to add loft to the driver.

Back