Shafts: Do You Believe in Feel?

I feel that, man (pun intended).

It's insane what happens to my swing/results when a shaft 'feels' off.
It's why I dont like to depart the profile that I know works. I feel like my current shafts offer me a great casual swing, but also the ability to really lean on one and get some extra.

It's why I dont like to depart the profile that I know works. I feel like my current shafts offer me a great casual swing, but also the ability to really lean on one and get some extra.
My current shafts do the same. I can take a nice casual swing and get the results I want and then if I need to really crank it, I can. They feel just right for me. My older shafts felt good, but felt more stiff to me. For me, shafts have got to have a slight "bendy" feel. Maybe not the best choice of words, but think others will understand.

Definitely believe shafts have a feel to them.

Dynamic Gold always loose to me in the downswing but firm at impact. Ctaper feels like everything is together. Modus 120 feels like a whip. Modus 130 feels firm in the downswing and then a pop at impact.

Because they all have a different "feel" I pick one that i enjoy. Perfomance wise, I'm not sure how different they all are.

That's really more of a debate on materials. Forged clubs are usually made of softer metals than cast clubs. Sure there are exceptions to that rule, but that's where the debate is usually centered.

I agree and understand this but my hands can't tell the difference in materials even though forged are made of softer materials.

This should be another one of those threads where people get mad at me for starting, yet can't stay out of hahahaha

Do you believe that shafts have 'feel' to them?

- If yes, what does that mean to you? How important is it?
- If no, why? And, how can you select something without considering feel?

Sure, shaft factors such as torque, bend point, kick point, dead weight, weight distribution , impact sound etc... may be felt when swinging a shaft.

There have been shafts I've tried throughout the years just just don't feel right. They either feel like a wet noodle or like a telephone pole. So yeah, I believe they have "feel" to them. Since I'm not a shaft designer or composite engineer, I don't know what causes the feel to be different. But logic tells me probably every factor affects the overall feel in some way or another. Weight, material, torque, balance point, stiffness, etc etc.

Yes I believe in feel.
I can feel the shaft load on the downswing whether it is too soft or too stiff.
Other than that, I believe in results.

Sure there is such a thing as feel in a shaft. But...
...not everyone pays attention to what the club head and shaft are giving them as feedback through the swing
...feel is not real is an old adage that I think has some truth, I prefer to think that feel requires other feedback and training to provide useful feedback (we use other senses and facts to inform us as to what our feel is really saying)

Obviously, for a more experienced golfer like yourself, you've had the time to 'inform' your feel through a variety of experiences.

You probably identify with this.

Your best swings probably come when you sense a sequence of feelings throughout the golf swing.

OTOH, some golf instructors have been very effective at teaching some less experienced players a move or a concept by telling them what it should feel like. Even if the feel isn't real, if it's a common perception the instructor can use it to get the student to improve.

Yes, sir. I believe in feel but I don’t feel the same stuff everyone else does. The two big things that I feel in a swing are release and overall comfort during the swing. I’d love to feel the load but I just can’t seem to find that feel.

Yes, sir. I believe in feel but I don’t feel the same stuff everyone else does. The two big things that I feel in a swing are release and overall comfort during the swing. I’d love to feel the load but I just can’t seem to find that feel.
You aren’t alone, I’m one that when I donREALLY TRULY tee the shaft load am more surprised than not. Haha

You aren’t alone, I’m one that when I donREALLY TRULY tee the shaft load am more surprised than not. Haha
It also might be that I’m not really loading the club all that aggressively. I’m not exactly swinging as fast as I wish I was.

It also might be that I’m not really loading the club all that aggressively. I’m not exactly swinging as fast as I wish I was.
My issue is I transition too quickly most of the tome and don’t really give it a chance to load.

That said, I think only a SMALL percentage of golfers actually do load golf shafts in their swings and notice it.

I personally react to the shaft based largely on the overall club performance. I’m pretty sensitive to overall weight and swing weight. If the setup is too light, I lose the club and cant seem to control it. If its too heavy, I find that I try and swing too hard.

I think Aldila and Graphite design do a really nice jobof making shafts that have a company specific personality to them.

Last edited:
YES! It is subjective to those who are swinging it. I know what I like and for me torque = feel. I know what to look for now.

I can feel differences in shafts, especially weight. My brief experiment with lighter 110 gram iron shafts made my dispersion worse. My DGX100’s don’t “feel” as good as those lighter KBS shafts but they are more accurate.

I’ve experimented with shafts a lot less than many of you here as I’ve basically been in some version or similar variation of the Aldila NV Green shaft for about 15 years. The Tour Green that I play in my two fairway woods and Rogue that have in my driver have a similar “feel” and flex profile and are all in that 68-72 gram range.

I believe in all the feels! I also believe that it varies from golfer to golfer, and while you can put some measurables to what can affect feel, it still is pretty subjective from golfer to golfer.

I do believe in Golf shaft feel, but also have seen for myself it is the swing that makes the feel possible. Case in point is the KBS TGI 100 iron shafts, if i make a crappy swing (which is way too common lately) I feel nothing and think they are too stiff for me, if I make a proper swing I feel them load (?) on the downswing and the result is a good shot so I think they are just fine for me.

But the guy at CC told me I will not feel much since my short backswing just does not allow it to happen, but I don't feel anything on the backswing with any shaft, only on the downswing?? so what am I feeling the loading or unloading??

There is nothing to “believe”. Feel exists, though it is subjective. Whether what one feels is real is another story.

YES! It is subjective to those who are swinging it. I know what I like and for me torque = feel. I know what to look for now.
We have so many commonalities.

Yes, definitely a feel. I swung @NateG<80 Cobra F9 with an X-flex shaft and it felt very stout compared to my stiff flex HRZDUS smoke yellow. It was like swinging a 2×4 compared to mine. Not sure his exact model of his shaft, but I could definitely feel a distinct difference.

Yes, definitely a feel. I swung @NateG<80 Cobra F9 with an X-flex shaft and it felt very stout compared to my stiff flex HRZDUS smoke yellow. It was like swinging a 2×4 compared to mine. Not sure his exact model of his shaft, but I could definitely feel a distinct difference.

It has a Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6X shaft. Questioning whether it is the right one for me :oops:

Back