Share your Morgan Cup Memory

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
With the captain thread popping up, and @jdtox, @JB and @Canadan talking about how special the event really is, I thought it would be fun to share the memory that makes the MC special to you. You don't need to have played in the even to participate here, I think if you've been around more than a few months, surely there's something that stands out in your mind.

I'll lead it off.

First, let me start by saying the Morgan Cup is the reason I am here. When I joined THP I was simply looking for some advice on how to play this silly game. I was a beginner in every sense of the word. I signed up, asked a few questions, made a few boneheaded statements and that was it. I had no real intention of being part of this forum, and I knew nothing of the community behind it. Then I stumbled upon the Morgan Cup thread. I remember reading through the pages and thinking "this is for me." The whole idea of playing in an event where team mattered more than how well you played, then on top of that having a sponsor that treated you like you mattered was the icing on the cake.

Now, back then, part of being selected was based upon a criteria of participation in the forum. I was new, so I wasn't exactly in the running. It was then where I decided that if THP has events like this, perhaps it's worth sticking around to see what it's all about. I didn't get off to the greatest start, but I came around after a while. The Morgan Cup had been retired, and I had forgotten about it a bit.

Then in 2016 it was announced that the MC would be returning. Having remembered what hooked me on this community in the first place, I was so excited. New criteria for selection, and having established myself here, I had to throw my hat in the ring. Come sign up day in 2017 my heart raced as I filled out the email to submit. Sadly, I was not selected. Oh well, It's not the end of the world.

Then, if I recall correctly, approximately two days later, I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I took a look to discover a PM from @GolferGal "Welcome to the Morgan Cup!" I was standing in my bedroom, and jumped so high I nearly smashed my head on the ceiling!

I ran down stairs so excited, and told my very pregnant wife. She had no idea what I was talking about, but to this day, if you ask her what are my favorite memories, she will mention our wedding, the birth of my son, and the day I came barreling through the house yelling about "some golf thing."

I have many more great memories of all the things that transpired leading up to and after my first Morgan Cup, but this one is by far my favorite.

Awesome Memories for sure! My top highlights were really focused around MASSIVE comebacks from my teammates this year! First @H8tobogie stuffing the approach heard around the world on 18 to half the match after being 4 down. And then riding along and talking @Parrot through his epic Sunday singles comeback and reading along for all of the forum's comments about alligator blood etc...:ROFLMAO:

Its such a unique and fun experience I can't wait for the next group of members to get the experience.

No memories... Yet..

Thursday November 7, 2019. 4:50 pm, I was at my desk in my office getting ready to leave for the day. That's the memory that makes the Morgan Cup special to me. That's where I was and what I was doing when I learned that I was selected to be a member of Team Hackers for the 2020 Morgan Cup. I just happened to log into THP before I left work for the day and notice that I had numerous alerts. More people than I could count were mentioning me in the Morgan Cup Selection Thread. I found that very moving and it told me everything I needed to know about this community. People I didn't know and I had never met were genuinely happy over my selection. I know that I looked at the selection thread several times before it finally sunk it - that it had actually happened. Being a part of Team Hackers was a special journey as I got to bond with teammates -guys I still have never met (more on that shortly) but I consider friends. I will tee it up with them someday.

And even though this thing that happened in 2020 and mandatory travel quarantine issues made my participation in the event not occur, I will always have the memory of being selected. And if you ask me in 20 years what I was doing on Thursday November 7, 2019, I will be able to tell you.

My memories on this so far has been following along while others are playing. trying to figure out who is ahead and behind and making mental notes to keep up the total score for all groups. This year the wife was shopping with a girlfriend in Sante Fe and i was holding bags, ferrying stuff to the truck and updating on the phone.
I keep telling myself i will be in one of those groups someday

For me, something that continues to stick out was the ferry boat ride, and the picture of Jose working with @phoffer on his swing during the trip over to Haig Point. Before the event even started, and Jose jumped in to offer advice. This is what made me realize how amazing this event was.

And, just following the 2020 group, from beginning to end, was such a blast. Not an ideal year, but they all made the most of their Experience even if they didnt make it to Vegas in the end.

1a.
PXL_20201011_215219770.PANO.jpg

1b.
73C86B1C-7637-4C95-8309-3F7AC3FD6901.jpeg

1c.
The crazy whirlwind (still ongoing daily) text thread between the awesome group of dudes that was Team Hackers. 🍆

(and soon to add the upcoming reunion event, completely paid for by @OITW!)

Last edited:
A ton of great memories. My friend @KY Golfer holing it from 80 yards. Playing against @Parrot in singles while riding with @LittleRat. A pizza party with both teams in the hotel room. Watching Oklahoma in multiple overtimes against Texas sitting with @Master Yagley after telling him I would change my forum name to outragic if we lost.

But the one thing I will never forget was looking at my reflection in the cup after a very difficult 2020.
95C9CFA6-C8AA-4209-9567-E6A3C13B1B9C.jpeg

For me it wouldn't be the event itself as we had a big tournament going on that weekend but before it. I was able to play a few times this year with @H8tobogie and got to see his clubs and hear his thoughts about them. He also told me about his past THP experiences and about talking to his fellow MC participants. I also got to try his Speedzone 4i...err break his Speedzone 4i!o_O

He also told me about the old Cobra putters that @Space Bandito was refurbishing. I was sworn to secrecy with a penalty of death. I'm still here.

For me it wouldn't be the event itself as we had a big tournament going on that weekend but before it. I was able to play a few times this year with @H8tobogie and got to see his clubs and hear his thoughts about them. He also told me about his past THP experiences and about talking to his fellow MC participants. I also got to try his Speedzone 4i...err break his Speedzone 4i!o_O

He also told me about the old Cobra putters that @Space Bandito was refurbishing. I was sworn to secrecy with a penalty of death. I'm still here.
I'm saddened to hear that @H8tobogie didn't mention any of our drunken debauchery.

For me, it's the people. The friendships formed are worth more to me than I ever could've imagined. @Master Yagley went out of his way to make sure the late comers to the Cup were treated as much like tour players as those initially selected. Team Hackers stay in touch on a daily basis. The camaraderie with Team Paradise is still strong. We share a brotherhood that is indescribable. Every time I see @JB, I am amazed at his passion and dedication. Hate that we missed seeing @GolferGal.

A few things from the competition stand out for me. I loved watching @maxw72 play. The joy he had was contagious. Seeing @H8tobogie pull off that shot on 18 and @e1iterate chip in to keep our alt-shot match alive for a minute until @MarMill8412 stuck the fork in us. I had a fantastic time playing @oumagic in singles and coming back from 5 down. If not for @Jmk202 talking me through it, I don't think that happens. A non-golf moment that will stick with me forever was the time @e1iterate and I shared with @MarMill8412 and @jdtox during the alt-shot match. That was deep.

Just thinking about the memories makes me smile and a little teary at the same time. Love those guys.

one of my favorite memories from the event was actually the pre-event round. it was a beautiful day, and most of us played lpga international. i actually played pretty well, so i was feeling good. we all parked ourselves at a big table outside overlooking the 18th green and ordered drinks. it was chill and great to be with everyone. it started raining a little, and for some reason @chefkritter felt the need to flex and prove he could hit the green from 250 out with a 3w. ...in the rain! so there was some side-action, and chef hopped in a golf cart with a witness (i might be wrong but i think it was jake) and off they went. he lost the bet lmao

I'm saddened to hear that @H8tobogie didn't mention any of our drunken debauchery.
He did say that you were an awesome guy and blast to play golf with. I'll have to ask about this drunken debauchery. Did it by chance include throwing darts? I learned that lesson the hard way. I won in golf but he won every single game of darts.:ROFLMAO:

He did say that you were an awesome guy and blast to play golf with. I'll have to ask about this drunken debauchery. Did it by chance include throwing darts? I learned that lesson the hard way. I won in golf but he won every single game of darts.:ROFLMAO:
In darts, I am a plus HC... which I would give up in a heartbeat to be a plus HC golfer.

For me, it's the people. The friendships formed are worth more to me than I ever could've imagined. @Master Yagley went out of his way to make sure the late comers to the Cup were treated as much like tour players as those initially selected. Team Hackers stay in touch on a daily basis. The camaraderie with Team Paradise is still strong. We share a brotherhood that is indescribable. Every time I see @JB, I am amazed at his passion and dedication. Hate that we missed seeing @GolferGal.

A few things from the competition stand out for me. I loved watching @maxw72 play. The joy he had was contagious. Seeing @H8tobogie pull off that shot on 18 and @e1iterate chip in to keep our alt-shot match alive for a minute until @MarMill8412 stuck the fork in us. I had a fantastic time playing @oumagic in singles and coming back from 5 down. If not for @Jmk202 talking me through it, I don't think that happens. A non-golf moment that will stick with me forever was the time @e1iterate and I shared with @MarMill8412 and @jdtox during the alt-shot match. That was deep.

Just thinking about the memories makes me smile and a little teary at the same time. Love those guys.
There are too many great memories to recall TBH. The whole things went too fast, but was packed with so much awesome that is seemed to be much longer in retrospect.

Too many to list so I'll throw some up in multiple posts. I'll start with this one...

The most nervous I have probably ever been on a tee shot was the opening tee shot of the very first Morgan Cup. Not just my first Morgan Cup, the first ever Morgan Cup. Remember that for a trivia questions years from now haha Reunion Resort, first hole was a slight dogleg left, which that side was guarded by a tree. Took my Razr Hawk driver(Callaway Sponsored player), and went over the tree and found the left side of the fairway. My partner hit it in the right rough and we played my shot. Format was a 2-man scramble. It took about 2-3 holes to get comfortable on the course that morning, because after the nerves building up on hitting that shot, I needed to come down from the high of hitting a good one.

Dang, so many for me..... of the ones I can share telling @LittleRat the "origin" story for my forum name and somehow keeping a straight face is up there, as well as @JB making me tell that same story to our poor caddie at the patriot club.... but really it was hanging while we asked questions to @Master Yagley and littlerat and when we got the pairings and found out I was playing with Yags and our captain Jake (RIP my man).

The whole weekend was amazing and I got to meet some amazing friends that I need to catch up with again @JimBetts @KEV @X.Man @bigskyirish plus others but I am tagging almost everyone on THP so I will leave it there.

My favorite moment was my good friend @KY Golfer pulling off an improbable comeback against e1iterate from 4 down through 12. Came back to tie it on 16. And then both guys agreed to call it a tie since the Cup was already decided

hanging while we asked questions to @Master Yagley and littlerat

Q&A with those two was fantastic. They answered every question, even a few that were probably best not answered! But, we'll never tell!

I have so many fond memories of the Morgan Cup. I think the banter leading up to the actual event with our team in a text thread was pretty awesome. It really brought the team into a tight knit group from the get go. I really think that paid dividends during the event. Meeting everyone for the practice rounds and getting to play with Jose and all are team was fantastic. Being able to hoist the cup at the end for our captain was awesome! Everyone from team paradise and team hackers was amazing. That is something I think I will remember most. No bad apples. And for @JB for trying to call me out for sleeping during a post round discussion, think Yags had a good laugh at that! :LOL:

Back