Ive personally always thought that golfers are a little oversensative about noise. I can think of plenty of other sports that require just as much concentraction and the players make it happen while thousands of people are yelling, screaming and trying to distract them.

I play with a guy who literally talks during his swing. I mean he doesnt shut up so there is some truth to that but the problem with golf is tension is bad and noise leads to tension. The room for error in golf is so small the slightest bit of tension can destroy a golf swing. I guess that's why pro golfers have people thrown off the course for clicking a camera or talking during their swing. Yelling is about the only thing that causes me to tense up.

I play with a guy who literally talks during his swing. I mean he doesnt shut up so there is some truth to that but the problem with golf is tension is bad and noise leads to tension. The room for error in golf is so small the slightest bit of tension can destroy a golf swing. I guess that's why pro golfers have people thrown off the course for clicking a camera or talking during their swing. Yelling is about the only thing that causes me to tense up.
I dont see how shooting a free throw in basketball, kicking a field goal in football or batting in baseball is any different than a golf swing. :confused2:
It doesnt bother me a bit if people make noise during my golf swing.

... Needless to say I was furious and rode over to give him a piece of my mind...
..I don't put up with B.S. from people...
..They will treat me with respect or they won't like seeing me anymore... I
.. I could beat the snot out of them and just keep right on playing...

Oddly, I suspect that I'd enjoy playing with you and in your group. I really don't like it when people yell on the course when I'm hitting, and don't like playing with people that move around in my field of view when I'm swinging. My concentration is a fleeting thing, and I like to be able to focus.

But I have to ask...are you seriously saying you'd get in a fight on a golf course because someone is an idiot who doesn't know how to behave?

I dont see how shooting a free throw in basketball, kicking a field goal in football or batting in baseball is any different than a golf swing. :confused2:
It doesnt bother me a bit if people make noise during my golf swing.

All three of those examples have one big difference from golf, although it's not always the same thing.

In baseball, you're hitting a moving target, so what you do is reactive.
The free throw and the field goal are both directly using your body to do something to a ball. In golf, you're doing something to a club to do something to a ball, which means that any "mistakes" in what you do are massively amplified.

Well, that and it's what people are used to. If everyone always played in a noisy environment and it was the "done thing", then people wouldn't mind it. For me, it's really a change in the pitch that gets me. If there's noise, I don't mind that, so long as it's steady, so for example I have no problem playing if there's a drone from a road somewhere nearby. It's sudden noise (like someone shouting) that gets me.

I embarassed myself this summer. I drained a freakishly tough put for eagle (steep downhill, lucky the hole got in the way) and let out a piercing "YES!!" just in time to catch the guy on the next tee box nearly screw himself into the ground. I ran over and apologized and insisted he re-tee. Thankfully he accepted my apology.

Oddly, I suspect that I'd enjoy playing with you and in your group. I really don't like it when people yell on the course when I'm hitting, and don't like playing with people that move around in my field of view when I'm swinging. My concentration is a fleeting thing, and I like to be able to focus.

But I have to ask...are you seriously saying you'd get in a fight on a golf course because someone is an idiot who doesn't know how to behave?
Sounds like a pretty immature way to handle a situation to me. No matter how big and bad you THINK you are, theres always someone out there who is a little bigger and badder.
Im all for standing up for yourself, but picking a fight on a golf course over something so insignifigant and trival is just stupid.

I embarassed myself this summer. I drained a freakishly tough put for eagle (steep downhill, lucky the hole got in the way) and let out a piercing "YES!!" just in time to catch the guy on the next tee box nearly screw himself into the ground. I ran over and apologized and insisted he re-tee. Thankfully he accepted my apology.

In a situation like that, I don't feel you owed anyone an apology. If he had said something, all you had to say was "I just made an eagle putt!" If he didn't understand, f- him. (Was he mad?)

When I make my first eagle, I'm thinking the whole course might know about it!

Had this exact thing happen just the other day except I was the one on the tee. The guy who yelled wasn't even putting. He yelled when his buddy made the putt. Normally, I can ride through this kind of stuff, but he yelled really loud at just the right moment and I sent the ball straight left. I looked up to see where the noise came from and I must have looked like a storm cloud because this guy started apologizing without me saying a word.

I told him it was ok and just played it where I found it. Rub of the green. Oh, well. I am not playing for the championship of the free world, so it is not that big a deal.

In a situation like that, I don't feel you owed anyone an apology. If he had said something, all you had to say was "I just made an eagle putt!" If he didn't understand, f- him. (Was he mad?)

When I make my first eagle, I'm thinking the whole course might know about it!
I agree. You shouldnt have to look around and make sure its OK before you celerbate a great shot, especially when you make eagle.

Exactly. I'd love to see someone not get loud over a hole in one, or look around before they started yelling!

Of course, I'm sure everyone has gotten carried away in their excitement over a very good shot at least once. I think this thread was more about unnecessary loudness, like yelling across the fairway at someone, or something like that (although, I bet most of us have done that without thinking about it). Normal conversation would never be loud enough to bother a group on a tee box when you're on the green, or vice-versa, nor most anywhere on a golf course.

I agree. You shouldnt have to look around and make sure its OK before you celerbate a great shot, especially when you make eagle.

Yep. This is exactly why when I am on a tee near a green, I make sure that it is an opportune time to take my swing (i.e. when they are lining up their putts). Otherwise, I risk the joyous shouts of made birdie putts.

So - are you quiet in terms of your own group only or do you take the rest of the golfers on the course into account?

In all the other side discussions, forgot to answer the OP.

Yes- I try to take into account all other golfers within my line of sight and any loud noise that I make that can be heard from beyond my foursome is almost always "FORE!!!"

That being said- I'd be lying if I haven't let go with a "YESSSSS" after a awesome birdie put that bagged carried over skins or a "**insert bad word here***" after a really unfortunate shot. But that's a flaw, not a habit.

Sounds like a pretty immature way to handle a situation to me. No matter how big and bad you THINK you are, theres always someone out there who is a little bigger and badder.
Im all for standing up for yourself, but picking a fight on a golf course over something so insignifigant and trival is just stupid.

I've heard that said alot in my life. It is also why I choose not to drink alcohol anymore because rude people and alcohol don't mix. Either way I wouldn't get in a fight with someone on a golf course or anywhere else in the world without first checking to see if they were mentally competent and then warning them of the repercussions of what they are saying to me. So people always have an option in these situations. I think it goes without saying playing golf doesn't require you to be a person who respects others. And most of the people I come into contact with are great people. There are however punks in every aspect of life and those are the people worthy of a good smacking not just your everyday golfer. As I have said I'm not a bully or violent person but I will not be talked down to so if after I approached him he would have chosen the wrong thing to say then I guess yes I would have kicked his butt.

As far as celebrating a great shot that is one thing but screaming at someone b/c you are drunk or just being loud is not acceptable.

I've heard that said alot in my life. It is also why I choose not to drink alcohol anymore because rude people and alcohol don't mix. Either way I wouldn't get in a fight with someone on a golf course or anywhere else in the world without first checking to see if they were mentally competent and then warning them of the repercussions of what they are saying to me. So people always have an option in these situations. I think it goes without saying playing golf doesn't require you to be a person who respects others. And most of the people I come into contact with are great people. There are however punks in every aspect of life and those are the people worthy of a good smacking not just your everyday golfer. As I have said I'm not a bully or violent person but I will not be talked down to so if after I approached him he would have chosen the wrong thing to say then I guess yes I would have kicked his butt.

As far as celebrating a great shot that is one thing but screaming at someone b/c you are drunk or just being loud is not acceptable.

So are saying that you want to smack someone because you think they're a punk? Or are you saying that you want to because they actually did something so egregious that they deserve a beatdown?

And all of this on a golf course?

In the 40 years I've been playing this game, I can think of exactly one time that I got in someone's face about their behavior and those guys were flat out wasted and had no real business being out on the course in the first place. But even then, it never came to blows -- although I did enjoy hitting shots at them just as they were walking away from their second shots or off of the greens and landing them very nearby (not that they would have noticed, but it was fun just the same).

Other than that, I can honestly say that nothing has ever pissed me off on a golf course (or anywhere else, for that matter) to the point where I'd want to throw down with someone over it.

-JP

It is also why I choose not to drink alcohol anymore because rude people and alcohol don't mix.

James - Is that a confession?

Spoiler

Thanks for making me laugh - I needed that today. :smile:

All three of those examples have one big difference from golf, although it's not always the same thing.

In baseball, you're hitting a moving target, so what you do is reactive.
The free throw and the field goal are both directly using your body to do something to a ball. In golf, you're doing something to a club to do something to a ball, which means that any "mistakes" in what you do are massively amplified.

Well, that and it's what people are used to. If everyone always played in a noisy environment and it was the "done thing", then people wouldn't mind it. For me, it's really a change in the pitch that gets me. If there's noise, I don't mind that, so long as it's steady, so for example I have no problem playing if there's a drone from a road somewhere nearby. It's sudden noise (like someone shouting) that gets me.

I agree with you on the noise and also with the comparison to sports. The other thing you left out is that failure to make contact in baseball is normal and same with missing a free throw in basketball. If you hit 3 out of every 10 in baseball you would be a good baseball player. 3 out of 10 in golf, I think you would have to pick another sport.:act-up:

So are saying that you want to smack someone because you think they're a punk? Or are you saying that you want to because they actually did something so egregious that they deserve a beatdown?

In the 40 years I've been playing this game, I can think of exactly one time that I got in someone's face about their behavior and those guys were flat out wasted and had no real business being out on the course in the first place. But even then, it never came to blows -- although I did enjoy hitting shots at them just as they were walking away from their second shots or off of the greens and landing them very nearby (not that they would have noticed, but it was fun just the same).

Other than that, I can honestly say that nothing has ever pissed me off to the point where I'd want to throw down with someone over it.

-JP

Bottom line is this, our club has lost a lot of members over the past 4 years because of this kind of behavior. I'm a newer member but one of the most vocal about it. This thread just let me voice my frustrations with redneck, ignorant behavior that takes place at most golf courses in the world. But my actions speak louder than words and I'm tired of losing members because of a bunch of drunk disrespectful buttholes. So if it takes a throw down to get my point across so be it but the club president himself has been approached by me over bad mouthing other people. The loud yelling and stupid stuff like that is just the icing on the cake. The code of conduct around there is ignored by a select few and I'm already tired of it. So generally speaking, no I have never got in a thorw down at a golf course but ultimately people keep saying would I? The answer to that question is simply if they talk the talk they better be ready to walk the walk. Hope this clarifies my stance on inappropriate behavior at a golf course.

James - Is that a confession?

Spoiler

Thanks for making me laugh - I needed that today. :smile:

lol I should have said rude people and me drinking alcohol don't mix! :bicker: :D

Other than that, I can honestly say that nothing has ever pissed me off on a golf course (or anywhere else, for that matter) to the point where I'd want to throw down with someone over it.

-JP

Since when did a good ass kicking every once in a while become such a bad thing? Its no more harmful then launching golf balls at people as they leave the green.

This thread just let me voice my frustrations with redneck, ignorant behavior that takes place at most golf courses in the world.

That's a pretty big generalization. I've been playing this game along time, and can't say redneck, ignorant behavior is much of a problem at all when it comes to golf.

Kevin

That's a pretty big generalization. I've been playing this game along time, and can't say redneck, ignorant behavior is much of a problem at all when it comes to golf.

Kevin

I agree, but I can't say I've ever seen a redneck in CT. We do have other characters on the course though.

I agree, but I can't say I've ever seen a redneck in CT. We do have other characters on the course though.

Yeah, in Connecticut the only yelling you'd hear would be some guy wearing a yachting hat yelling, "Muffy! Conrad! Get the Range Rover, we're leaving! I simply will not play a course that does not serve chilled Perrier on the tee!

C'mon...I'm not that far off, right? :D

-JP

Since when did a good ass kicking every once in a while become such a bad thing? Its no more harmful then launching golf balls at people as they leave the green.

Yes, but the emotional payoff isn't the same.

There is far more "payback" in landing a perfectly struck 187 yard 6-iron shot 7 feet from the guy who just put the flagstick back in the cup - exactly as planned, by the way - than there would be from simply planting my fist into his kisser.

I mean, anybody can take a swing at someone's face from two feet away, but to land a ball within the length of a flagstick from that guy from almost two football fields away?

There's just no comparison!

-JP

Bottom line is this, our club has lost a lot of members over the past 4 years because of this kind of behavior. I'm a newer member but one of the most vocal about it. This thread just let me voice my frustrations with redneck, ignorant behavior that takes place at most golf courses in the world. But my actions speak louder than words and I'm tired of losing members because of a bunch of drunk disrespectful buttholes. So if it takes a throw down to get my point across so be it but the club president himself has been approached by me over bad mouthing other people. The loud yelling and stupid stuff like that is just the icing on the cake. The code of conduct around there is ignored by a select few and I'm already tired of it. So generally speaking, no I have never got in a thorw down at a golf course but ultimately people keep saying would I? The answer to that question is simply if they talk the talk they better be ready to walk the walk. Hope this clarifies my stance on inappropriate behavior at a golf course.

Maybe I see things differently because I don't belong to a country club.

In a country club setting, you're dealing with more or less the same people all the time and if there's a butthead in the group, then he tends to be the problem all of the time and tends to ruin it for everyone else.

But on a public course, the crowd is mostly transient so the idea of having to put up with the same doltish behavior week after week is rare or non-existent because it's not likely that I'll run into the same idiot under the same circumstances twice in a season, much less weekly.

So I see your point, but I've always believed that if I get to the point where I'm taking swings at the guy, then I've lowered myself to his level and I'm no better than him. The high-road is a tough trip sometimes, but it usually ends up being worth the effort.

-JP

Yeah, in Connecticut the only yelling you'd hear would be some guy wearing a yachting hat yelling, "Muffy! Conrad! Get the Range Rover, we're leaving! I simply will not play a course that does not serve chilled Perrier on the tee!

C'mon...I'm not that far off, right? :D

-JP

Yeah, but I'm not on those courses either. I'm not blonde - they wouldn't let me join even if I could afford to.

Back