Shot Scope Connex Performance Tracking Tags

I love the idea minus the tap part I have never been a fan of that. However if it were an nfc tag like the watch then it’s not an issue. But it’s another great option at an amazing price plus no subscription fee which is a win win in my book

Same... the interface with the apple watch is kind of my prime motivator. Eventually something better than Arccos will come along that interfaces with my watch - maybe it'll be a shotscope product (y)
From a quick perusal (which has led me astray before, so don't take this as Gospel): It does not appear the Apple Watch currently has NFC reader capability.

But, that would be ideal. Imagine a golf world in which you could tag your clubs, run the golf app of your choice, simply pull your club, tap the watch, do your thing. Pull the phone to look at the course only when you need to see the detail for your next swing. (E.g.: Width of the fairway X distance away, where the big trouble is up ahead, how far away is the green, etc.)

Heck, a smart enough app, one that had collected data on your distances, dispersion, average strokes gained for various clubs in various scenarios, could become your AI caddie--recommending shots and clubs :cool:

Last edited:
From a quick perusal (which has led me astray before, so don't take this as Gospel): It does not appear the Apple Watch currently has NFC reader capability.

But, that would be ideal. Imagine a golf world in which you could tag your clubs, run the golf app of your choice, simply pull your club, tap the watch, do your thing. Pull the phone to look at the course only when you need to see the detail for your next swing. (E.g.: Width of the fairway X distance away, where the big trouble is up ahead, how far away is he green, etc.)

Heck, a smart enough app, one that had collected data on your distances, dispersion, average strokes gained for various clubs in various scenarios, could become your AI caddie--recommending shots and clubs :cool:
Honestly, I think arcoss does a fantastic job. I'd like to give SS a try, but without the watch interface I can't (don't want to) make the change.

I really like this idea, and would strongly consider giving it a try. I already have my phone mounted to the handle of my push cart, so tapping a club while pulling it from my bag doesn't sound like a whole lot of trouble. Having overhead maps and distances on my phone would be pretty handy, and one less device to keep charged with another proprietary charging cable.

I think Shot Scope is on to something with Connex!

Is manual putting still a option in this or will tag be required. Was curious to if you could just tap you phone like you would with a the X5 to collect putts.

I am 99% sure there is a way to add in your putts after the hole, kinda walking to the next tee. Apart from that it is using the tags.

Gavin, if one has a ShotScope watch, can that person access the GPS map without using the new tags?

Gavin, if one has a ShotScope watch, can that person access the GPS map without using the new tags?

My understanding is that this will come, so if you wanted overhead maps it would be available. I don't have a schedule. As you can imagine with G5, then CONNEX and another launch next month I am running about like a headless chicken.

I've been waiting for it, but...

If you're using The Grint to keep track of your score, etc., how would you use this app at the same time?

Now, if The Grint licensed integrating this Shot Scope technology into their app, eliminating the need to manually enter your club at each stroke... :love:

So much this! Even if it didnt integrate the shot tracking but just put in your final stats that would be amazing

If I hadn't already bought an X5 I would have gone with these. I always have my phone anyway and have been using phone GPS apps for years, so I'm used to it. I still like to see overhead hole maps even with the X5 yardages. Heck, I may consider selling my X5 and getting these instead... 🤔

My understanding is that this will come, so if you wanted overhead maps it would be available. I don't have a schedule. As you can imagine with G5, then CONNEX and another launch next month I am running about like a headless chicken.
Got it thanks

I've been waiting for it, but...

If you're using The Grint to keep track of your score, etc., how would you use this app at the same time?

Now, if The Grint licensed integrating this Shot Scope technology into their app, eliminating the need to manually enter your club at each stroke... :love:

I am wondering if you could have an apple watch with the grint running for scoring and your phone in the pocket to do the tracking. Could be more of a nuisance, but doable.

I am wondering if you could have an apple watch with the grint running for scoring and your phone in the pocket to do the tracking. Could be more of a nuisance, but doable.
Not 100%, but I’m pretty sure The Grint is still tied to your phone even if you’re using the watch, and the phone won’t let two apps use GPS at the same time.

Too much a nuisance, for me.

Not 100%, but I’m pretty sure The Grint is still tied to your phone even if you’re using the watch, ...
I don't know, for sure, either, but, I would expect that to be the case.

... and the phone won’t let two apps use GPS at the same time.
Sure it will. There are multiple things running on my phone gathering GPS data all the time. See: Is it possible to use two running apps at the same time that tracks you via GPS?

Sure it will. There are multiple things running on my phone gathering GPS data all the time. See: Is it possible to use two running apps at the same time that tracks you via GPS?
Interesting. I knew it would allow apps to momentarily access it for location info, but not for continuous tracking. I tried running The Grint and 18Birdies at the same time with no luck, and it also won’t allow me to run a golf app while simultaneously tracking a golf “workout” through Apple Fitness on my watch.

This might be the thing that finally pushes me to change from Arccos over to SS.

I use Arccos+Link and it misses maybe 1 shot per round, maybe. I know YMMV but for me the thing is not relkability of tracking, but the platform and data experience. There SS is way ahead of the competition from what I see.

My use case would be pretty perfect for the Connex. I use a Garmin Fenix watch as an everyday health tracker and smart watch. I don't want to skip on collecting my health data during golf by having a separate watch. And the Garmin is imo good enough for distances. I'm planning on upgrading to the Epix later on, which would bring even better golf festires too.

Playing where I do, you're often wearing a lot of clothes. During summertime (2 weeks) having the Link on the belt is okay, but the rest of the 50 weeks, it's covered by clothes if worn on the belt. I don't like clipping it to the pocket, but that's where I need to keep it for the mic to pickup the shot.

I previously used a system where tapping to tag was needed and saw no problem with it. I also don't mind having my phone in the pocket or just tapping it when it's on the pushcart.

I see a Connex in my future. Great launch from ShotScope!

Interesting. I knew it would allow apps to momentarily access it for location info, but not for continuous tracking. I tried running The Grint and 18Birdies at the same time with no luck, and it also won’t allow me to run a golf app while simultaneously tracking a golf “workout” through Apple Fitness on my watch.
If the golf app can be accessed by apple health it'll track the 'workout' during your round (arccos does this). Many apps can't access apple health or be accessed by apple health due to information security requirements.

if there was integration with Apple Watch, I’d be all over these. I use a Series 8 Apple Watch with Arccos, but really want to give ShotScope a try. I don’t like having my phone in my pocket, nor do I want to purchase a new watch. Maybe there will be an update at some point in the future.

V3 and now X5 user... cannot wait for app use.

also I saw you say another launch.... wonder what else you have in store for us!

V3 and now X5 user... cannot wait for app use.

also I saw you say another launch.... wonder what else you have in store for us!

Nice review of Connex. I know they've been using Shot Scope products for 5 years I believe.

While watching that review, a question popped into my head. Will the putter sensor work with Superstroke grips? If not, is there a compatible sensor for Superstroke?

While watching that review, a question popped into my head. Will the putter sensor work with Superstroke grips? If not, is there a compatible sensor for Superstroke?
I think, just like with the V3 and X5, you would cut the threads off the putter tag and glue or tape the tag to the Superstroke grip. They may eventually offer putter tags for Connex with the threads already removed, like they do for the other tracking devices.

@GavinwithaR1 do you have any data or guesses how much the constant NFC use affects battery usage of the phone in a round?

Have one in cart, just waiting for an excuse to pull the trigger :p

@GavinwithaR1 do you have any data or guesses how much the constant NFC use affects battery usage of the phone in a round?

Have one in cart, just waiting for an excuse to pull the trigger :p
Interesting question and can't wait to hear the answer as well, but I'm guessing it will be similar to all the other gps apps out there. I don't expect nfc to have a large drain, but I'm not expert.

I think, just like with the V3 and X5, you would cut the threads off the putter tag and glue or tape the tag to the Superstroke grip. They may eventually offer putter tags for Connex with the threads already removed, like they do for the other tracking devices.
Hopefully Shot Scope could work on an accessory for the Super Stroke grips similar to what Arccos has.

Back