Shot Scope X5 Watch

Two things I hate about this unit
  1. the power button getting hit on the wrist
  2. if there is any moisture, forget trying to move the screen. It's next to impossible. "Swipe up, up, up, up ... God D***t ... screw this thing!"
I spend more time going in to edit the round sometimes than I did playing the round :banghead:

I have a question about data analysis.

I use my 56 for chipping. I chip from anywhere around the green, even if I am only 6" off of the putting surface. My chipping is way more accurate than my putting from off of the green.

What is the best way to handle this in ShotScope? It isn't a positional shot. I think it would be great if there was a way to exclude these shots from the collection of 56 degree shots from the sand or from the normal 80-100 yards out.

Suggestions?

2. if there is any moisture, forget trying to move the screen. It's next to impossible. "Swipe up, up, up, up ... God D***t ... screw this thing!"
I spend more time going in to edit the round sometimes than I did playing the round :banghead:
I've even been able to play with mine unlocked by doing two things, moving it a little higher on the wrist, and I pull the tab on my glove up at an angle toward my index finger to close it. That seems to create a little gap where the crown button is located. Some that play in wet weather have said that a screen protector is a big help. I don't play in rain so I wouldn't know.
I have a question about data analysis.

I use my 56 for chipping. I chip from anywhere around the green, even if I am only 6" off of the putting surface. My chipping is way more accurate than my putting from off of the green.

What is the best way to handle this in ShotScope? It isn't a positional shot. I think it would be great if there was a way to exclude these shots from the collection of 56 degree shots from the sand or from the normal 80-100 yards out.

Suggestions?
Any shot taken less than 50 yards from the pin is only accounted for in your short game stats. Yardages that you hit all your clubs are only for shots that are taken from more than 50 yards away from the pin. Chip outs or half shots to get out of trouble, taken more than 50 yards away from the pin, can be excluded from the distances you hit your clubs by marking them as "Positional" when editing. You also want to mark 2nd shots on par 5s as "Positional" unless you are going for the green, as it otherwise affects your "Approach" stats. P-AVG already excluded outliers, both long and short, while AVG is the average of all shots hit with that club, excluding those marked "Positional". You can mark any shot, except for a tee shot and any putts taken on the green, as "Positional", though I can't think of a circumstance where I would mark a short game shot (anything within 50 yards) as positional, but there may be a case for doing so.

I've even been able to play with mine unlocked by doing two things, moving it a little higher on the wrist, and I pull the tab on my glove up at an angle toward my index finger to close it. That seems to create a little gap where the crown button is located. Some that play in wet weather have said that a screen protector is a big help. I don't play in rain so I wouldn't know.

Any shot taken less than 50 yards from the pin is only accounted for in your short game stats. Yardages that you hit all your clubs are only for shots that are taken from more than 50 yards away from the pin. Chip outs or half shots to get out of trouble, taken more than 50 yards away from the pin, can be excluded from the distances you hit your clubs by marking them as "Positional" when editing. You also want to mark 2nd shots on par 5s as "Positional" unless you are going for the green, as it otherwise affects your "Approach" stats. P-AVG already excluded outliers, both long and short, while AVG is the average of all shots hit with that club, excluding those marked "Positional". You can mark any shot, except for a tee shot and any putts taken on the green, as "Positional", though I can't think of a circumstance where I would mark a short game shot (anything within 50 yards) as positional, but there may be a case for doing so.
Thank you so much for the explanation!

I've thought about getting something like this, but don't want to end up focusing more on the device than I do on the golf.

I've thought about getting something like this, but don't want to end up focusing more on the device than I do on the golf.
Other than getting F/M/B yardages, occasionally checking how far I hit a drive, and using the Pin Collect screen to record my putts and the hole location, I don't really interact with mine. There are features I don't use that would cause more interaction, such as using scoring, or using the features that can give you distances to hazards and the like, such as the whole hole view, green view or other screens that provide a non-graphical presentation of that info. However, if you don't use your watch for that, one is usually using another method to get that info, laser or golf GPS on a phone. I have enough experience and confidence in my watch recognizing the tags on my clubs that I never check to make sure. So, unless I have a specific reason to use it, the watch is pretty much put it on and forget about it for me.

2. if there is any moisture, forget trying to move the screen. It's next to impossible.
These would be my two changes as well.

That said, the hole map worked really well and had no issues with my X5 this past week. And still love the data dive I get. It's worth the few minutes of post round review and editing as needed.

Second round with hole view in the books. This time I was playing a course I’ve only played once like 5 years ago, so didn’t really remember any of the holes. Having the hole view was amazing, especially with the distance ring. It did have me drop down to 5 wood on one hole where driver would have had me run into a ravine. Without hole view I definitely would have pulled driver.

Started the round with 100% ended with 44%. Did have more practice swings this round as I ended up in some weird stances.

After doing a reset, the watch performed pretty well yesterday. It took quite a while to locate the course and it took three or four tries to connect to my phone post-round to sync, but those are minor issues. It performed fantastically during the actual golf and the watch had power to spare after the round, so I was really happy.

I pulled the trigger and bought the X5. I'm switching from Arccos this year due to the apathy they have towards wanting to making the Android version better and focusing more on Apple. Just not useful to me anymore... So I can't wait to set it up and try this out for the first time! And no annual subscription fees. 💪

Used this during my birthday round and love the new overhead feature showing the hole and distances on the watch. I think it's a little easier to grab the distances I need for blind shots using the phone but the quick view on the X5 gave me what I needed multiple times

The watch performed well for me again today. Two rounds with no glitches have me excited.

Last edited:
The watch performed well for me again today. Two round with no glitches has me excited.
That "factory reset" tends to fix most issues. If it starts acting strange again, do another one.

Just unboxed my X5 last night. Looks awesome, btw! But does anybody have a super stroke putter grip but can't attach the putter tag due to not being able to screw it in on top? I see there are tags you buy from Shot Scope that stick on, but does anybody have any alternative options to just use the one it comes with, a la, cut the tip off on the bottom that screws in and use glue or 3m Velcro? I'd love to hear what you did.

Just unboxed my X5 last night. Looks awesome, btw! But does anybody have a super stroke putter grip but can't attach the putter tag due to not being able to screw it in on top? I see there are tags you buy from Shot Scope that stick on, but does anybody have any alternative options to just use the one it comes with, a la, cut the tip off on the bottom that screws in and use glue or 3m Velcro? I'd love to hear what you did.
There are a couple of options. The first is to do what you mentioned: cut off the threads and secure it to the putter with glue or something. Alternatively, you can go to the settings and set your putting into a manual mode and you mark the place from where you putt using the watch buttons/touch screen. I now prefer this method, even when I have a sensor in my putter.

Last edited:

There are a couple of options. The first is to do what you mentioned: cut off the threads and secure it to the putter with glue or something. Alternatively, you can go to the settings and set your putting into a manual mode and you mark the place from where you putt using the watch buttons/touch screen. I now prefer this method, even when I have a sensor in my putter.
👆 What Tenputt said.

I did the glue on option but my sensor came off somewhere and is lost

I use the manual marking method

Wish they'd have a better option for using the sensor with SuperStroke grips

I use the manual marking method

Wish they'd have a better option for using the sensor with SuperStroke grips
I bought a package of putter sensors, a couple of which in the package come with adhesive. Those bond extremely well. The Arccos SuperStroke method of attaching a sensor is very cool and effective, but the Shot Scope sensors are so much smaller than Arccos sensors that I am not sure something similar could be contrived.

I’m a manual putt marker. It works well with my routine so no help for the attachment question but looks like you’ve been covered

I did buy the extra set of putter tags and currently have four putters with tags attached. In all cases, I used "glue dots" (I think they are kind of a rubber cement - not so permanent), then crisscrossed with electrical tape. Not one has ever come loose, much less gotten lost, and sensing of the putter tag does not seem to be affected from what I can tell as I have used Auto putting mostly. Where putts are missed in Auto mode it is those small tap-ins from around the hole where no practice swing is typically taken, or it is too small to be detected.

I've used tape, velcro, and various kinds of silicone adhesive and the adhesive seems to work the best. Last one I glued I used some of this and it worked pretty well:

1711383386239.png

Wish they would sell some individual iron number tags. Have had a few break and was murder getting the screw piece out of the shaft.

Did some grip surgery to save the grip and not be out further cost.
Unfortunately hole was not tight enough and lost my back up tags on another 2 grips.

I don't want to spend a fortune on 16 new tags and the 4 tag kit comes with a putter and X2 which I already use so about 30$ Canadian for 2 tags....

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Wish they would sell some individual iron number tags. Have had a few break and was murder getting the screw piece out of the shaft.

Did some grip surgery to save the grip and not be out further cost.
Unfortunately hole was not tight enough and lost my back up tags on another 2 grips.

I don't want to spend a fortune on 16 new tags and the 4 tag kit comes with a putter and X2 which I already use so about 30$ Canadian for 2 tags....

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
Have you reached out to customer service? They have always been very responsive. It is worth a shot to ask.

I had an unusual issue where my X5 couldn't find the course when trying to find the satellite. It was frustrating and I hard reset it and still no luck. I kept trying and finally got it working on the second hole and just used it in GPS mode

I had an unusual issue where my X5 couldn't find the course when trying to find the satellite. It was frustrating and I hard reset it and still no luck. I kept trying and finally got it working on the second hole and just used it in GPS mode
This does happen from time to time depending on cloud coverage for me. What I do is turn on the watch and get it going when I pull up to the course which is generally 5-10 minutes before I tee of. You may already be doing this, but I find turning it on and then searching doesn't always work the best.

Back