Shot Scope X5 Watch

Anyone else completely unable to download the firmware update? I have been following the steps in the FAQ for an hour and everytime it crashes and disconnects. Have been really disappointed with how buggy and poor the shotscope software has been since I bought the X5 last April. Maybe I just got a lemon.

I am back to being ready to give up on my X5. I am on my second watch. The first one wouldn’t hold a charge and CS was great about sending me another one. That one seemed to work well, but I didn’t use if for a couple of months, due to winter weather.

I played a round over President’s Day weekend and the battery ran out with two holes to play. I played another round today and on about half of the greens, the watch would add a couple of putts to my hole without my ever putting. Then, the watch and phone would not connect. It probably took me twenty tries to connect, at least. Finally, the watch froze up while syncing the round to my phone. After trying to use the X5 for almost a year, it shouldn’t continue to be this difficult.

I am back to being ready to give up on my X5. I am on my second watch. The first one wouldn’t hold a charge and CS was great about sending me another one. That one seemed to work well, but I didn’t use if for a couple of months, due to winter weather.

I played a round over President’s Day weekend and the battery ran out with two holes to play. I played another round today and on about half of the greens, the watch would add a couple of putts to my hole without my ever putting. Then, the watch and phone would not connect. It probably took me twenty tries to connect, at least. Finally, the watch froze up while syncing the round to my phone. After trying to use the X5 for almost a year, it shouldn’t continue to be this difficult.
Sorry to hear about your issues!

You said you hadn't used it for a couple of months before playing the round on Presidents' Day. Was it fully charged?

After that round where it died, I doubt you officially "ended" the round, and it just won't connect unless the round has been "ended" as I forgot to do that after one round and could not get the watch to connect to the app until I did.

Were you wearing long sleeves during that round that added putts? Even when enabling "Locked" mode, the Pin Collect screen is unlocked, and I have found a sleeve or me trying to move the sleeve out of the way to get to the watch will either add, subtract or mark the hole location.

I was always frustrated that the V3 would always connect to the app on the first try, while the X5 took multiple attempts. I finally signed out of the app and deleted it. I then went into my Bluetooth settings and "Forget" the X5. Finally, I downloaded the app again and paired the X5 with the app and since then my X5 has connected first time every time and I had no issues installing the latest firmware update to include re-pairing my X5 through the app as part of the process for the iPhone to enable the "Whole Hole" view. I have played a few rounds since and performance has continued to be flawless, including the ease of connecting to the app after the round.

Finally, if you haven't already, I always suggest doing a "factory reset" when it starts working a little "wonky".

My X5 has not changed time yet? Anybody else experience this?
Damn day light savings

You probably have to connect to the phone app, and then it will automatically update the time.

I gave up on mine, it seems a lot of users have no issues and then some are just nightmares. If it worked as intended I’d be all over it.

I gave up on mine, it seems a lot of users have no issues and then some are just nightmares. If it worked as intended I’d be all over it.
Have YOU ever tried a "factory reset"? If not, it is at least worth a try.

Played a round this afternoon with the X5 with the new firmware. Really liked having the hole view with w distance overlays. Watch worked great for me again. Started the wearing the watch about an hour before my tee time. Started GPS right before going to the first tee. Round took a few minutes over 4 hours. Watch had 53% when completed.
IMG_1144.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your issues!

You said you hadn't used it for a couple of months before playing the round on Presidents' Day. Was it fully charged?

After that round where it died, I doubt you officially "ended" the round, and it just won't connect unless the round has been "ended" as I forgot to do that after one round and could not get the watch to connect to the app until I did.

Were you wearing long sleeves during that round that added putts? Even when enabling "Locked" mode, the Pin Collect screen is unlocked, and I have found a sleeve or me trying to move the sleeve out of the way to get to the watch will either add, subtract or mark the hole location.

I was always frustrated that the V3 would always connect to the app on the first try, while the X5 took multiple attempts. I finally signed out of the app and deleted it. I then went into my Bluetooth settings and "Forget" the X5. Finally, I downloaded the app again and paired the X5 with the app and since then my X5 has connected first time every time and I had no issues installing the latest firmware update to include re-pairing my X5 through the app as part of the process for the iPhone to enable the "Whole Hole" view. I have played a few rounds since and performance has continued to be flawless, including the ease of connecting to the app after the round.

Finally, if you haven't already, I always suggest doing a "factory reset" when it starts working a little "wonky".
I appreciate how much effort you put into this thread, @Phil75070. I really want this to work so badly and am not trying to be a complainer.

I was able to play two rounds this weekend. The watch froze up on the second hole and I messed around with it between finishing out the hole and having to tee off on the next hole and couldn’t get it to move on to the third hole. It was a difficult course, one that I had never played before and I didn’t want to keep fighting the watch while trying to play unfamiliar holes, so I put the watch in my golf bag, giving up on it for the round. It was frustrating, because I hit some really solid shots and it would have helped me get some distances with new clubs. I am so close to just throwing up my hands in exasperation, but I see the potential.

Could you summarize again how to do a hard reset? I know you have explained it previously, but I don’t want to go searching through the thread. I would at least try that before making a final decision on whether to move on from the X5.

Played a round this afternoon with the X5 with the new firmware. Really liked having the hole view with w distance overlays. Watch worked great for me again. Started the wearing the watch about an hour before my tee time. Started GPS right before going to the first tee. Round took a few minutes over 4 hours. Watch had 53% when completed.
View attachment 9247700
This looks really cool. I did the firmware update. How do you get to this view on the watch?

I appreciate how much effort you put into this thread, @Phil75070. I really want this to work so badly and am not trying to be a complainer.

I was able to play two rounds this weekend. The watch froze up on the second hole and I messed around with it between finishing out the hole and having to tee off on the next hole and couldn’t get it to move on to the third hole. It was a difficult course, one that I had never played before and I didn’t want to keep fighting the watch while trying to play unfamiliar holes, so I put the watch in my golf bag, giving up on it for the round. It was frustrating, because I hit some really solid shots and it would have helped me get some distances with new clubs. I am so close to just throwing up my hands in exasperation, but I see the potential.

Could you summarize again how to do a hard reset? I know you have explained it previously, but I don’t want to go searching through the thread. I would at least try that before making a final decision on whether to move on from the X5.
You don’t want to do a hard reset you want to do a factory reset which is different. I tried it and it seemingly solved all my issues. Page 71 of this thread gives the directions on how to do it. You essentially hold down the top button (basically the same as a hard reset) but you keep the button held down all the way through the hard reset and reboot and the factory reset menu will pop up.

This looks really cool. I did the firmware update. How do you get to this view on the watch?
You just swipe left once from the F/M/B numbers and it should show you the hole view. It was really cool to have and use.

You don’t want to do a hard reset you want to do a factory reset which is different. I tried it and it seemingly solved all my issues. Page 71 of this thread gives the directions on how to do it. You essentially hold down the top button (basically the same as a hard reset) but you keep the button held down all the way through the hard reset and reboot and the factory reset menu will pop up.
What @Veebee3 States. Hold the crown button in, past the X5 logo screen, until a screen with three options appears. Release the crown button, then push it twice so that the little arrow points to the bottom, last option, a reset. Then confirm that choice by pushing the bottom button. You'll know if you have done it correctly if you have to connect to the app to reinstall the firmware. You will also go through initial setup on the app except for Bluetooth. You won't lose your Bluetooth pairing when doing a factory reset.

@JB has anyone seen the new V5? or heard the pricing?
Can we work with Gavin on possible pre-order?

@JB has anyone seen the new V5? or heard the pricing?
Can we work with Gavin on possible pre-order?
Yes. We got a test run in January. Can't give pricing info yet, but as soon as we get the green light, we will get it all up for everybody.

Thanks, @Phil75070 and @Veebee3. I did the reset. Let’s see what happens the next time I play.

Tried the new course feature on the phone while playing and like the quick overhead view to see distances to hazards. This is what I've been waiting for and it worked well for me

Played my first round of the year today, 9-holes at Pinecrest in RI. My X5 worked mostly flawlessly, although it missed a couple of chips and I finished with 70% power remaining on the watch. I tried the hole view feature, which I did not find all that helpful as it didn't show distance overlays. It is entirely possible that I was not using it correctly, however, so I'll reserve judgment until I've had some more experience with this feature.

All-in-all, however, I remain a satisfied user of the X5.

I am considering replacing my G710s, now on their fourth season, and toward that aim am now testing a Sub70 699 V2 7i. Since I do not play 14 clubs, I am able to carry 2 7-irons and am wondering if, by using a different tag (in my case the X1 tag), I can track the two 7-irons separately on SS? It strikes me that it should work, but I'm not sure so any input would be welcome.

I am considering replacing my G710s, now on their fourth season, and toward that aim am now testing a Sub70 699 V2 7i. Since I do not play 14 clubs, I am able to carry 2 7-irons and am wondering if, by using a different tag (in my case the X1 tag), I can track the two 7-irons separately on SS? It strikes me that it should work, but I'm not sure so any input would be welcome.
It will work for sure. I was experimenting with two drivers. I created the driver, but put on a 3 wood sensor. The app showed both drivers as drivers, even though I was using the 3 wood sensor. I just needed to remember which color was which driver.

Last edited:
Got out and used the maps feature on a new course while on vacation. it led a 8.9 differential which was very good considering my recent trend in performance. What I found interesting using the maps feature on the watch was that it gave me a lot of confidence over each shot. On 4 of the holes it actually led to a club switch. 2 times I went from driver to 3 wood and 2 times I decided to pull driver back out. I am in love with the feature and the ability to do a quick check of my choice and confirm distances at a quick glance. Just an awesome feature that I am loving.

Looked at my states for 2024 and I'm losing strokes on the green and from the short game. I knew it was part of my game I'm struggling with, but seeing the numbers puts it in perspective.

Scrolling through the hole maps was easy today. I like the scroll wheel use to see how far hazards and portions of the green are. I was not sure how much I'd use this, but I can get to it quickly and find some extra data. I like this feature a lot.

Back