Should dogs be allowed on the golf course?

I like seeing dogs on the course IF they are well behaved. But those are few and far in between. One mans well behaved is another mans Cujo. My biggest concern with it would be the fertilizer and pesticides if they are freshly applied and the dog always has his nose to the ground.

Definitely good with it and have taken my old guy out a few times when I only walked 9. 18 would be stretching it at his age.

Sorry, no dogs on the course.

I am a huge dog lover and have had dogs virtually every year I have been alive. However, I would not like to see dogs running around and destroying the property. Even if the owner picked up after the dog, his/her urine would destroy areas. Running around could also destroy the area.
Agree I have dogs and like to see them about bit they would damage the course with urine.

Reactions: RD
I'd be a yes on this for some dogs and owners but as it's already been said, the few ruin it for everyone else. Is no different than many beaches in coastal areas banning dogs because 5% of the dogs and owners will create problems.
I think with golf there's a real opportunity to handle it on an individual basis. Not public, relatively low amount of total participants who tend to know each other.

I am a dog lover, but not on the golf course. There are many reasons why such as barking, peeing, pooping and chasing geese,, ducks, squirrels et al. Plus running out on the fairway and picking up a golf ball then running away with it and dropping it in the woods. :eek:

Reactions: RD
Sam Snead.jpg

Sorry, no dogs on the course.

I am a huge dog lover and have had dogs virtually every year I have been alive. However, I would not like to see dogs running around and destroying the property. Even if the owner picked up after the dog, his/her urine would destroy areas. Running around could also destroy the area.

How is that different than all the other wildlife on the course?

All kinds of squirrels, turtles, geese and deer on my home course. I’m sure they relieve themselves all over the place. Last summer two deer came running across the green, did a u-turn when they saw us and left some big hoof print divots (which we fixed).

There’s a bald eagle nesting on the back 9. He swooped down in the lake about 25y from me and grabbed a fish. That’s as close as I’ve been to one. Tell ya what; I’m not telling him to buzz off. Those things are humongous.

Wonder why one would? No way I’d want to bring my dog along.

Only if it was a dog caddie.

I have never taken my dog to the golf course and probably never will.I think the club should give simple rules,stay on leash,take all waste to the bin.These were the rules at my old club, and they worked well.

I didn’t trust my old Gordon Setter as she was too excitable. The Basset I now have is too young, but when she is old,slow and grumpy like me, I may consider it.

With so many critters on our course, a dog that had any kind of hunting instinct would be going wild. Ducks, coots, herons, turkey vultures, wild burros, tons of rabbits and coyotes - and the rattlesnakes could be a problem too, if the dog hadn't been trained in snake avoidance.

I am a dog lover, but not on the golf course. There are many reasons why such as barking, peeing, pooping and chasing geese,, ducks, squirrels et al. Plus running out on the fairway and picking up a golf ball then running away with it and dropping it in the woods. :eek:
I see golfers do most of these things every time I play; especially peeing and stealing golf balls.

Last edited:
Would not end well on my home course. Too many rabbits and we already have a coyote or two that lay around the course chilling.

I’m allergic to dogs so sorry but I’d rather not have them on the golf course.

Last edited:
The superintendent usually has a dog that they use for bird control above all else. I'm 110% fine with that. The dog usually stays on the cart.

While I would like to say it's okay, as others have pointed out the chances of all of the dogs being well-enough behaved is slim at best. Now if the course wanted to do a "bring your dog to golf" day once a month I'd be okay with that.

Think of it from the dog's perspective: sure you get to be outside and run free within reason, but it's going to be 5 hours before you're done. If you have a power cart the dog can ride in that's one thing, but if you're walking the dog probably is going to want to be somewhere else after a couple of hours.

FB5E8E82-3E91-421A-AE80-B82A01BD7302.jpeg
My dog, Nola is just 5 months old... She’s not ready for the golf course yet...
Even if she was, I would say it would be best if she stayed at home.

I have 3 and they have the run of the house except for the Kitchen. But i do not take them to the course. I have two that are chill and one who is a spaz with ADD....I take them running the neighborhood on my skateboard, but i do not take them to a store, or to the course.

Yes, as long as they have to been trained not to wander, chase squirrels, and be quiet.

View attachment 9006902
My dog, Nola is just 5 months old... She’s not ready for the golf course yet...
Even if she was, I would say it would be best if she stayed at home.
How can you possibly say no to that cute little thing? :love:

Played an evening very casual round yesterday. Would have loved to bring my dog, but they are not allowed.

I always enjoy seeing when people or the maintenance crew have a dog that lives on the course, and dogs are more common on courses in Scotland/older golf regions.

What are your thoughts?
Im going to say no because you are always going to have people trying to bring their dogs who arent well-trained and arent well-behaved. Not to mention you are always going to have people who dont clean up after their dog. Goose poop can be bad enough on some courses, do you really want to step in dog poop too?
Look, I love my dog but you dont need to take your dog with you everywhere that you go.

Maintenance guy had his dog on the course today pre-8am while he was emptying garbage cans. Dog was awesome! Never made a sound and ran ahead of the cart as the guy drove to the next tee box. That’s the dream!

Our little guy got to meet the Super's dog Birdie, a bichon named Gracee, and two King Charles pups at the course today. Fun time by all.

Back