Should Golf Have a Dress Code?

I support a reasonable dress code.

I didn't really used to think that the course should have a dress code, per se, until I saw some @sshole playing shirtless with no shoes. At that point, I was like "Yeah, that's gonna be a strong ****ing no".

I like dressing up for golf. Been tucking my shirt in more lately too.

But why do we hold on to this idea of dressing up to play? Because they wore jackets and ties golfing in the 1920s-30s? Nobody dresses to play baseball, or basketball or football with friends on the weekend. Folks used to dress up for air travel... it was an elite thing. Are we trying to be elite on the course?

As long as a playing partner is respectful and sincere, I could care less what they wear.
The fact that one may indeed be a great person without wearing the "proper" golf attire is not imo relevant.

"Science says that the clothes we wear affect our behavior, attitudes, personality, mood, confidence, and even the way we interact with others. "

The above i quoted from one of many articles written about how attire does relate. Holding on to the idea is simply the same and nothing more then holding on to the idea that a respectable environment is whats expected of players and what can expect in return.

I dont mean or ask this to you specifically but to anyone.
What is the big deal about requiring a soft dress code?

Just when has desiring and expecting a tiny tad raised level of respectable behavior and environment a problem? Why does everyone have to be all inclusive into everything the way only they themselves see fit and want to do so? Why do so many take such a defensive stand against even the simplest of requests and even when the request is asked out of nothing more than the desire to create a nicer atmosphere? Why is this so bad or even be something thats a problem?

people dont go to a nice restaurant with the same mindset, attire, and expected behavior level as they do burger king. Thats not to say we wouldnt also behave while in BK but that argument misses the point entirely.

Personally, I wear a collar and proper shorts but cannot imagine looking at another grown man and even being the least bit concerned with what he is wearing to play a sport.
Your correct to a degree but again this misses the point entirely.

And just for sake of debate I bet you anything (unless you bee sheltered your whole life) that I can dress one in given attire that would certainly make you concerned and even uncomfortable as for just who it is thats out there with you even if you dont now admit it.

Oh heck.....I think we should all mimic Bobby Jones, knickers, waist coat, tucked in tie! Where is Payne Stewart when you need an affirmation?

I really don't care, but lean toward a relaxed dress code. However, I will respect the courses dress code, because at the end of the day its a business decision for themselves.

The fact that one may indeed be a great person without wearing the "proper" golf attire is not imo relevant.

"Science says that the clothes we wear affect our behavior, attitudes, personality, mood, confidence, and even the way we interact with others. "

The above i quoted from one of many articles written about how attire does relate. Holding on to the idea is simply the same and nothing more then holding on to the idea that a respectable environment is whats expected of players and what can expect in return.

Just when has desiring and expecting a tiny tad raised level of respectable behavior and environment a problem? Why does everyone have to be all inclusive into everything the way only they themselves see fit and want to do so? Why do so many take such a defensive stand against even the simplest of requests and even when the request is asked out of nothing more than the desire to create a nicer atmosphere? Why is this so bad or even be something thats a problem?

people dont go to a nice restaurant with the same mindset, attire, and expected behavior level as they do burger king. Thats not to say we wouldnt also behave while in BK but that argument misses the point entirely.
I think the last portion pretty well nails it, really. It's a choice to act like an ass, no matter what one is wearing or where they are at the time.
With golf, there is BK (the muni) and there is Stuffy McDeepPocket's Inn, where many will never step foot and probably don't have the means or outfit to enter anyway. So everyone can find a venue they can afford and be comfortable at.

And golf is socially distanced. The people in your immediate group are the only ones you're really around. Hold your breath in the clubhouse. :LOL:;)

I think the last portion pretty well nails it, really. It's a choice to act like an ass, no matter what one is wearing or where they are at the time.
With golf, there is BK (the muni) and there is Stuffy McDeepPocket's Inn, where many will never step foot and probably don't have the means or outfit to enter anyway. So everyone can find a venue they can afford and be comfortable at.

And golf is socially distanced. The people in your immediate group are the only ones you're really around. Hold your breath in the clubhouse. :LOL:;)
Why does the muni have to be a "BK" ?
Why shouldnt the average avid player among the masses who cant afford a CC or perhaps not want to join one be able to expect to play in a respectable environment that has a tad of a raised level of awareness for etiquette at his muni? Why shouldnt a muni ask this of its guests and why shouldnt its guests expect that in return for paying to play there?

Personally, I wear a collar and proper shorts but cannot imagine looking at another grown man and even being the least bit concerned with what he is wearing to play a sport.
Yes, same here.
The first time or two a friend invited me to play golf I had no idea what golf was, how it was played or that there was a dress code. I’m thankful the clubhouse looked the other way rather than call me out, had they scolded me it’s likely I would have never played again.
Sure I’m properly attired now, heck I’m better dressed than most, I enjoy the form follows function aspect of golf wear. I’d never look down on anyone who wasn’t wearing proper attire, it might the their first time playing.

Why shouldnt the average avid player among the masses who cant afford a CC or perhaps not want to join one be able to expect to play in a respectable environment that has a tad of a raised level of awareness for etiquette at his muni? Why shouldnt a muni ask this of its guests and why shouldnt its guests expect that in return for paying to play there?
It doesn't, but considering tax dollars are at play, they have to set the bar pretty low so that everyone can at least feel like they can participate and not have to buy a special outfit to do so. Considering most munis are intentionally being destroyed with "multi-use" initiatives like soccer golf, it won't be an issue for long and golf can go back to being especially elite when these venues are sold off for their very valuable lands.

Excellent questions !

I'm probably against the extremes like tank tops, cut-offs, gym shorts and tee shirts. I'm not a big fan of hats being worn backwards but to each his own. Beyond that I think even jeans are OK, especially in the winter.

Agreed.

I'm not sure who said a soft dress code was a big deal, but I think a point worth considering is how differently we each define "soft dress code". Golf is different things to different people. Just as course owners or managers are unique in what kind of course they run. As a result, there seems to be an abundance of choices so that one doesn't have to concern themselves with a course that falls outside their idea of what is correct.

We could compare the variety in golf courses to the variety of restaurants. If someone wears denim shorts and collarless shirt to a chain restaurant, nobody flinches. But there seems to be many who would have a problem with that same attire being worn to a public course that has a relaxed code. If so, why? If someone wants to dress like a clown to play golf, it will only give me something to laugh about during and after my round. Now if someone dresses like a clown and sounds off an airhorn, that's a different story.

And as others have probably mentioned, I'd rather play golf with someone who is underdressed but is respectful of the course and others, than another wearing the nicest of golf attire and behaving like a total asshat. In my experience, those two examples are not uncommon. Like the old adage goes, you can put lipstick on a pig, but they're still a pig.

What you say is true, after switching to boxers my attitude has become a lot more relaxed and light-hearted. My tighty whites made me all uptight and argumentive about minute things. imo of course. 😎

Agreed.

I'm not sure who said a soft dress code was a big deal, but I think a point worth considering is how differently we each define "soft dress code". Golf is different things to different people. Just as course owners or managers are unique in what kind of course they run. As a result, there seems to be an abundance of choices so that one doesn't have to concern themselves with a course that falls outside their idea of what is correct.

We could compare the variety in golf courses to the variety of restaurants. If someone wears denim shorts and collarless shirt to a chain restaurant, nobody flinches. But there seems to be many who would have a problem with that same attire being worn to a public course that has a relaxed code. If so, why? If someone wants to dress like a clown to play golf, it will only give me something to laugh about during and after my round. Now if someone dresses like a clown and sounds off an airhorn, that's a different story.

And as others have probably mentioned, I'd rather play golf with someone who is underdressed but is respectful of the course and others, than another wearing the nicest of golf attire and behaving like a total asshat. In my experience, those two examples are not uncommon. Like the old adage goes, you can put lipstick on a pig, but they're still a pig.
Of course I too would much rather play with a person in a tank who is respectful and well behaved vs a jerk dressed in the most proper golf attire. But again,..I really believe this misses the point.

We can all find and possibly at one time or another experienced the a-hole in a suit at someones wedding banquet. But that does not mean we show up at the ball room next time in jeans, work boots, and a tshirt. Nor does it mean the next newly wedded couple to book the wedding reception center expect that. Hence why it misses the point.

Why are we normally at a wedding reception in suits and gowns in the first place? I mean people in suits and gowns can behave poorly while others who are dressed down may behave better. right? So why do we do it?
The answer is that it displays respect for the couple and also suggests we should expect a respectful display of behavior. In fact wearing suits and gowns in the first place (even if we dont know it) automatically raises and changes (even if slightly) our behavior awareness level among other things. This is because in general there is a correlation between dress vs behavior, mood, interactions, etc.

But again,..I really believe this misses the point.
I think you're confusing "missing the point" with disagreement.

You say studies have been performed indicating a correlation. I'll accept that as truth and assume the studies were peer-reviewed and fairly conducted. In my 9 years of golfing, I once witnessed a group of non-golfers at the course dressed in beach attire acting like total jerks, so I know it happens.

But overall, that argument is weak, IMO. Based on my experience, the correlation between attire and behavior is simply underwhelming. Other golfers don't piss me off very often, but when they have, the vast majority of them have been wearing "proper" golf attire. So in my world, the correlation is a non-issue.

If you consider golf attire to be the same issue as attire for formal events - or an issue of respect, that argument to me seems more valid. I disagree, but at least I understand it... sort of.

The solution seems pretty simple to me. Live and let live. For those who believe this is real a problem, choose to play at courses which enforce the code. For those who refuse to wear a collared shirt, play at courses that allow it. If you think all golfers and all courses should conform to either standard, get a life.

It was so hot on the course today I wish I could’ve just played in swim trunks with a mist fan attached to the cart. But similar to restaurants, courses should be able to enforce whatever dress code they desire.

I think you're confusing "missing the point" with disagreement.

You say studies have been performed indicating a correlation. I'll accept that as truth and assume the studies were peer-reviewed and fairly conducted. In my 9 years of golfing, I once witnessed a group of non-golfers at the course dressed in beach attire acting like total jerks, so I know it happens.

But overall, that argument is weak, IMO. Based on my experience, the correlation between attire and behavior is simply underwhelming. Other golfers don't piss me off very often, but when they have, the vast majority of them have been wearing "proper" golf attire. So in my world, the correlation is a non-issue.

If you consider golf attire to be the same issue as attire for formal events - or an issue of respect, that argument to me seems more valid. I disagree, but at least I understand it... sort of.

The solution seems pretty simple to me. Live and let live. For those who believe this is real a problem, choose to play at courses which enforce the code. For those who refuse to wear a collared shirt, play at courses that allow it. If you think all golfers and all courses should conform to either standard, get a life.
well said at most part. . However I dont feel that very last sentences is necessary nor fair. One could suggest it the other way around and suggest that those who have a problem with dress codes being at all courses as simple and easy as most golf ones are should then get a life.

I do feel that all courses should require a soft dress code of at minimum a collared shirt. I do believe that helps create and send the minor message that simple expected awareness of good behavior is to be the atmosphere. Or at least is what desired and that everyone can expect to give that and also get it in return.

The very question is asked in the thread title...... "Should golf have a dress code?"
What your implying in your last sentences is that anyone who feels it should needs to then go get a life. Kind of no point in the question or the discussion/debate if thats really any real answer. Im not saying you were trying to be mean or disrespectful there but golf having a dress code would mean that would be the case everywhere we might play it. I think it should and that does not mean I should get a life. It only means I desire and appreciate the better behavior whenever and wherever I am. And i believe dress correlates with that (generally speaking) and I understand that others dont.

I know folks dont agree with what I say next. And perhaps is part of the issue that i see,
I think society in general needs to be held to at least some standard vs the way it has imo been heading. And that is one of which has declining levels of common courtesies, behavior, respect, and etiquette. I think its nice that some things still require something extra of society vs the way (nowadays) it wants everyone and anyone fit into everything anyway they chose to do so. Wanting to preserve things that bring about an expectation of better behaviors is imo a good thing and I am certainly one who would like to see us try to hold on to as much of that as we can as i witness less and less of it. And that saddens me.:cry: So with due respect its not about getting a life , but is much more about trying to preserve and or maintain as much good one as we can. thats wnhy i feel strongly about this and even if one doesnt agree I am coming from what i think is a good place intent wise. But hey,....just my insignificant take on it.

Last edited:
I am fine with the rules. I am not a tuck my shirt in guy but that is really because being kinda tall it is hard to find shirts that are long enough that do not feel like I am wearing a tent. So I generally leave them untucked. If asked I would tuck it in though.
Same here but I do tuck my shirt in wearing pants but never tuck in the shirt wearing shorts. To me wearing pants with an untucked shirt is sloppy & also leads to potential plumbers crack but untucked with shorts you can get away with it.

Yes, same here.
The first time or two a friend invited me to play golf I had no idea what golf was, how it was played or that there was a dress code. I’m thankful the clubhouse looked the other way rather than call me out, had they scolded me it’s likely I would have never played again.
Sure I’m properly attired now, heck I’m better dressed than most, I enjoy the form follows function aspect of golf wear. I’d never look down on anyone who wasn’t wearing proper attire, it might the their first time playing.
Any time I invite a friend to golf who is new/inexperienced, I make sure to tell them to wear a collared shirt and non-denim shorts. I'd hate for them to be embarrassed, and/or worse yet, be turned away by the pro shop because they showed up in a t-shirt and jeans. Same thing even if they're not new to the game, but I know they've been playing regularly at one of the courses that has an "anything goes" dress code.

...And as others have probably mentioned, I'd rather play golf with someone who is underdressed but is respectful of the course and others, than another wearing the nicest of golf attire and behaving like a total asshat. In my experience, those two examples are not uncommon. Like the old adage goes, you can put lipstick on a pig, but they're still a pig.
Today was a good example. We were playing as a threesome and were stuck behind three foursomes ahead of us. A twosome came up to the tee box behind us on a par 3 while we were on the green, and we saw them drive down the hill and go to the next tee box to jump in front of us. They were two younger guys, both had their ball caps on backwards and one was barefoot. When they got to the next tee box and saw the backup ahead of them, they apologized to us and said they didn't realize there was nowhere to go, and drove back up to the tee box behind us to wait their turn. They never hit into us after that, always maintained their space, and from what we could see, weren't doing anything ridiculous or acting like asshats. They pulled up behind us at the tee box on another par 3 a few holes later that was backed up and we had a friendly chat with them for a couple minutes, then they sat back and stayed quiet while we hit our tee shots. Nice enough guys.

Our course doesn't have marshals out right now (summer is our offseason), so once you get past the pro shop and the first tee you're completely on your own as far as what you do. The only way the pro shop would ever know anything screwy was going on is if somebody called and complained about it.

Well said. Why waste energy worrying about what others wear? It’s trivial.

However I dont feel that very last sentences is necessary nor fair.
@rollin, you are 100% correct with the above reply and you were right to call me out on it. Just because I feel a certain way doesn't mean I have to word my beliefs that way.

I apologize to you and everyone else for posting it. :drinks:

Look, I don't want to see a shirtless guy in a speedo and flip flops on the golf course, just as I don't like the fact that my neighbor has a bunch of old vehicles in his backyard or a guy in the grocery store thinks it's ok to wear his pants below his ass cheeks. At the same time, I don't want to be that guy who gets too concerned about what others do because I'm far from perfect. Just as there are communities which have Homeowners Associations, there are golf courses which have strict dress codes. I'm glad both are available and glad we all have a choice.

I know folks dont agree with what I say next. And perhaps is part of the issue that i see,
I think society in general needs to be held to at least some standard vs the way it has imo been heading. And that is one of which has declining levels of common courtesies, behavior, respect, and etiquette. I think its nice that some things still require something extra of society vs the way (nowadays) it wants everyone and anyone fit into everything anyway they chose to do so. Wanting to preserve things that bring about an expectation of better behaviors is imo a good thing and I am certainly one who would like to see us try to hold on to as much of that as we can as i witness less and less of it. And that saddens me.:cry: So with due respect its not about getting a life , but is much more about trying to preserve and or maintain as much good one as we can. thats wnhy i feel strongly about this and even if one doesnt agree I am coming from what i think is a good place intent wise. But hey,....just my insignificant take on it.

This is true. You mentioned wedding attire a few posts back and I wondered, has he been to a wedding or a funeral lately. It certainly isn't what it used to be. There are so many things in our society that have changed in my life, but to comment on them would not only be off-topic, the conversation could easily slide against the forum's no politics policy.

Anyway, agree to disagree on the topic. A relaxed dress code is not the end of the world. Someone not complying, however, would easily be ignored as I wonder whether or not I'm going to break 100 today.

I've tried wearing a dress - you know, to comply with the CODE - but I'm really struggling with the shaft getting caught in my hem - and the ribbing from my mates doesn't help either

a kilt on a windy day.....no bueno

@rollin, you are 100% correct with the above reply and you were right to call me out on it. Just because I feel a certain way doesn't mean I have to word my beliefs that way.

I apologize to you and everyone else for posting it. :drinks:

Look, I don't want to see a shirtless guy in a speedo and flip flops on the golf course, just as I don't like the fact that my neighbor has a bunch of old vehicles in his backyard or a guy in the grocery store thinks it's ok to wear his pants below his ass cheeks. At the same time, I don't want to be that guy who gets too concerned about what others do because I'm far from perfect. Just as there are communities which have Homeowners Associations, there are golf courses which have strict dress codes. I'm glad both are available and glad we all have a choice.

This is true. You mentioned wedding attire a few posts back and I wondered, has he been to a wedding or a funeral lately. It certainly isn't what it used to be. There are so many things in our society that have changed in my life, but to comment on them would not only be off-topic, the conversation could easily slide against the forum's no politics policy.

Anyway, agree to disagree on the topic. A relaxed dress code is not the end of the world. Someone not complying, however, would easily be ignored as I wonder whether or not I'm going to break 100 today.
as I indicated in my post I honestly didnt feel you were trying to be mean by it. No worries at all :)

And you are correct with your wedding/funeral comment and i think that applies to a whole lot of things. Early on in the thread I made references as to what imo is no coincidence at all when it comes to society's laxing etiquettes and its laxing dress codes. Both of which imo have sadly fallen and done so almost proportionally.
But again...thats just the way I see it.
Agree to disagree on that is all good but its fun and interesting to debate and discuss it too. Its what forums live on.

Back