Should the Tour Championship count as a Tournament Win?

They also act differently I am sure when in the lead, conserving it vs pressing - So who knows how the weekend would have played out without the big buffer.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. Building a lead and than playing more conservative. DJ had no reason to push it today, only keep the lead until the end.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Building a lead and than playing more conservative. DJ had no reason to push it today, only keep the lead until the end.
His lead was massive - all he really needed to do was coast into it.

That's the way it goes. It's not a perfect system, but I don't think the perfect system exists.

That's the way it goes. It's not a perfect system, but I don't think the perfect system exists.
I like the format because it’s different than most other events. Maybe not perfect but it does offer an opportunity for drama.

Probably not, but maybe the system that every. other. golf. tournament. uses isn't so bad. ;)

Probably not, but maybe the system that every. other. golf. tournament. uses isn't so bad. ;)
Then you’re saying that the play in all the other tournaments doesn’t matter as much. Just get to top 30 then wipe it all out and rank based on one tournament.
While that can be exciting, it greatly diminishes the lead up performances and reading to earn a top spot.

I like the format because it’s different than most other events. Maybe not perfect but it does offer an opportunity for drama.
I think it's fun to think about how shameful they feel to lose a lead they were given before the tournament starts haha

Then you’re saying that the play in all the other tournaments doesn’t matter as much. Just get to top 30 then wipe it all out and rank based on one tournament.
While that can be exciting, it greatly diminishes the lead up performances and reading to earn a top spot.
Nah, I'm separating overall rank from single tournament results. I get that the FedEx Cup points rankings should depend upon the whole series - I just think they should all start on an equal footing in the Championship tournament, like every other tournament they play. Two separate things. Just like the #1 OWGR doesn't go into any of the Majors with a 10-stroke lead, and winning the Masters, Open, etc. is a completely different thing than being ranked #1 in the OWGR.

Nah, I'm separating overall rank from single tournament results. I get that the FedEx Cup points rankings should depend upon the whole series - I just think they should all start on an equal footing in the Championship tournament, like every other tournament they play. Two separate things. Just like the #1 OWGR doesn't go into any of the Majors with a 10-stroke lead, and winning the Masters, Open, etc. is a completely different thing than being ranked #1 in the OWGR.
That it in a nutshell. The Tour wants this winner of *this* tournament to be the overall winner. You and others don’t.
If you look at it from the restriction that the Tour places on this Championship, then I think they have a great system. Had Xander places better leading up to the Tour Championship then he would have had less ground to make up.

exactly. When someone in the other thread suggested the DJ “coasted” even with the “a little” qualifier, that felt very wrong to me. He may have played a different mind game having to start with a lead. But that’s the point.

the weight of sleeping on a lead going into Sunday at a major makes or breaks careers. DJ had to sleep a week with that weight.
I believe he did coast... there was no need to ever be aggressive... He got to play even keeled golf. If I were his caddy on Friday and Sunday keep reminding him of his lead.... Most of his score was given to him... Think about it this way...

Round 1 he shot modest -3 and was a top the leader board, next days even par 70 kept him up there... Headed into "weekend" golf... He is -13...

Sunjae shot a best of the day 64 and still trailed...

Xander knocked out 3 almost 4 birds to end his second trailing someone who shot -3

I am totally comfortable with this being a tournament win.

Why not?

Because he didn't outplay the competition these four rounds.

as mentioned in another post, Xander scored better and thus gets more OWGR points than DJ does.
Is this true?

I believe he did coast... there was no need to ever be aggressive... He got to play even keeled golf. If I were his caddy on Friday and Sunday keep reminding him of his lead.... Most of his score was given to him... Think about it this way...

Round 1 he shot modest -3 and was a top the leader board, next days even par 70 kept him up there... Headed into "weekend" golf... He is -13...

Sunjae shot a best of the day 64 and still trailed...

Xander knocked out 3 almost 4 birds to end his second trailing someone who shot -3
I look at it this way, DJ had to play the tournament he was handed.

Is this the first year of the stroke lead format? I believe last year they did this too, or am I wrong on that?
If they did use the same system, didnt the #1 fail to keep the lead he was given?

Is this the first year of the stroke lead format? I believe last year they did this too, or am I wrong on that?
If they did use the same system, didnt the #1 fail to keep the lead he was given?
You are not mistaken.

Is this true?
I didn’t make it up

They did it last year, which is why this thread is a year old. For perspective, no one is saying that Dustin doesn’t deserve the Tour Championship. He absolutely does. That is by far the bigger prize. It is just the validity of this being considered a tournament win with the distinct set of advantages that aren’t present for any others.

No he outplayed them the past 3 weeks and the season.
That's a great reason to get a "season win", but not a tournament win... which is what this conversation is about.

I agree. Which then brings into question if the OWGR granting points based on gross score is the right decision. Kind of a Solomonic one.

To me, the right thing would be for no OWGR points and no tournament wins; just the Fed Ex Cup.

I didn’t make it up

They did it last year, which is why this thread is a year old. For perspective, no one is saying that Dustin doesn’t deserve the Tour Championship. He absolutely does. That is by far the bigger prize. It is just the validity of this being considered a tournament win with the distinct set of advantages that aren’t present for any others.
I agree. Just feel that they rules were stated ahead of time. Everyone had the same opportunity to better their starting position prior to THIS tournament.

DJ pulled that off. It’s a tournament win.

So let's add another wrinkle to this conversation....perhaps that DJ wasn't given ENOUGH credit coming into this final event.

Sure DJ got to start at -10 and Rahm was at -9....but could there ever be a point where DJ should have started with a 2 or 3 (or even more...) shot lead over the next closest player?

DJ had 3,471 points after the BMW, Rahm had 3,080....and Xander wasn't even in the Top 10, he was 14th with 1449. So based on this, wouldn't it have made more sense to start Xander at say +4 rather than the -3 he started at??

I don't like the system. I understand they are trying to generate excitement, but how is that fair? Players try to accumulate points all season and in the playoffs, and then in the final event there is a subjective process for where a player starts the tourney at....and points are thrown out the window....? Xander played well and had the best score, but would he have ended with more points than DJ or Rahm, Justin, or any of the other 11 players who had more points than him heading into this event.....?? Probably some of those he beats in points, but maybe not Rahm or JT....so him finishing tied second may have actually been a "benefit" for him.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It’s a tournament win.

As if this conversation wasn't convoluted enough...

owgr.com shows DJ as T3 and Xander as 1 at the Tour Championship. Seems at least the OWGR folks don't have their heads up their arses.

So if Xander had won, the tour championship he could lose fed ex cup... Seems like that is ok? Or is it not ok? Fed ex is year round... The championship is best of the best? They want the winner to win both?

That's a great reason to get a "season win", but not a tournament win... which is what this conversation is about.
Again, it’s the format. The tournament is the series. He won so why would you not call it a win?

Again, it’s the format. The tournament is the series. He won so why would you not call it a win?

The tournament is 4 rounds (and a playoff if needed). The series is season long. Seems simple. I'd guess only the PGA Tour could F it up.

Fortunately, I'm not alone in my thinking. Truth be told, I'd bet many Tour players think the format is stupid, too, but they have too many millions of reasons to not talk bad about it.

So if Xander had won, the tour championship he could lose fed ex cup... Seems like that is ok? Or is it not ok? Fed ex is year round... The championship is best of the best? They want the winner to win both?

Well, he did win. He's got a 1 in the win column on owgr.com which looks so perfect. It's just sad that the Tour can't seem to understand that the system they've deficated is so horrid.

I've never associated the FedEx Cup or Schwab Cup for anything but year long points accumulation. Tour Champ is a tournament.
I liked the money title. Took care of most things.

Back