Should the Tour Championship count as a Tournament Win?

I've never associated the FedEx Cup or Schwab Cup for anything but year long points accumulation. Tour Champ is a tournament.
I liked the money title. Took care of most things.
Just like I never associated the OWGR points rankings with the Masters, U.S. Open, PGA Championship or The Open Tournament. Sure, they earn points which go toward their ranking by winning those tournaments, but they play all those tournaments on a level footing with everybody else. Everybody starts out at zero.

His lead was massive - all he really needed to do was coast into it.

That's the way it goes. It's not a perfect system, but I don't think the perfect system exists.

Ah, the perfect system...

Seriously, if you are going to ignore the staggered start for the purpose of the OWGR and only use gross score, the "net" win should not could toward your PGA Tour record IMO.

Ah, the perfect system...

Seriously, if you are going to ignore the staggered start for the purpose of the OWGR and only use gross score, the "net" win should not could toward your PGA Tour record IMO.

that sounds like running up the score in college football.

Just put it back to the way it was and potentially let two guys stand up after the tournament for celebration.

I hate how this all works. I get it, but that doesn't mean its a good idea.

DJ shouldn't get credit for a tournament win. He had a head start. He won this tournament as much as I won the last tournament I played in where I got 1st place in the A flight.

He definitely earned more than a 2 stroke advantage in terms of the FedEx cup, and I'm glad he was recognized as the season long champion, but in terms of the actual Tour Championship tournament, he should not get credit for winning that.

I understand all the angst. However, DJ earned the top spot. The points were used to seed the tourney. The players know, when the season starts, what they’re gunning for. If they’re unhappy about where they start/finish in the Tour championship then play better in a tournament or two prior to the playoffs. Play in more tourneys. Placement is in their hands. Is this format the best option?.... for what the PGA was trying to achieve, yes. Is it different? Yes. Does it reward the top point accumulator? Yes.... But it’s far from a guaranteed win. DJ hardly coasted. He drove the ball well and putted well, continuing his great play for a month now.....It’s not traditional at start, I get It. Xander shot, what, -15 for the tourney? That’s great. But if he won more points during the year and starts at -6 then he catches DJ.... it just proves the importance of every point secured during the year.... if this doesn’t “count” as a tourney win, then what does it count as?

That begs the question should only traditional stroke play tournaments count as wins, be allowed for accrued points toward the Cup and qualify winners for majors and tour exemptions? There by eliminating stableford, match play and team tournaments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every single tour player had the exact same opportunity to win that tournament as DJ had coming into the season. They weren't in DJ's advantageous position coming into East Lake because THEY didn't capitalize on THEIR opportunity as well as HE did. He then played well enough to WIN the tourney, as constructed. The year before Rory spotted multiple strokes to a handful of his most dominant peers and then played well enough to overcome. KUDOS! (to both)

I can see an argument for possibly making changes in future years (will likely still be flawed) but I'd really hate to see the PGA somehow strip the 2020 win from DJ's career total since he WON it per their rules. I still consider it grossly unfair that they later stripped 12 of Sam Sneads total victories despite them being sanctioned PGA Tour events at the time he won them:mad: But that benefits Tiger, sooo crickets?? BTW I'm a Tiger fan too, still wrong the PGA later stole 12 Ws from an elderly Snead.

Last edited:
Looks like the PGA of America has some common sense, too.

Screenshot_20200909-063031_Firefox.jpg

Back