Single Rider Golf Carts and Pace of Play

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the last couple of years many golfers have encountered a course that was allowing only one person to cart. During those rounds, it was discovered that it significantly speeds up the pace of play because everybody goes to their own golf ball rather than sitting around waiting for someone to hit before moving on.

As the calendar moved forward, rules became more lax and we are back to two in each cart when riding, despite courses being busier, slower and more expensive. This draws back the unique precedent set during the pandemic of faster golf being obtainable even with courses as busy as ever.

Enter the single rider carts. Have you used any of the models out there? Did you notice the impact on pace of play? What have you tried and most importantly, did you enjoy it?

finn_consumer_pro-1024x533.jpeg

Continue reading...

Scooter and Golfboard. Both are fun and I only worry about my drive to ball. It is faster but the issue is everyone has to use it or the 2 person carts will always slow you down.

I have not tried them, but I want to.

Tried a Finn cycle last year on vacation for a few holes. Definitely different for sure balance wise. Not sure it was faster for pace as we had two guys in a cart and one on the Finn. Fun factor was there for sure.

I've used a Finn cart. I don' think single rider carts will help pace of play. In general I think pace of play issues comes down to a couple of things: 1) Not watching the ball and/or spending far too long looking for balls; 2) slow everything around and on greens; 3) no interest in pace of play - paid their fees will take their time.

I often end up the only walker with a cart group. I am slower than a cart moving from point A to B, but that is never the cause of slow play in my experience.

I have never tried but part of me wants to and the other half of me sees a disaster waiting to happen.

I want a Finn scooter so badly. Its the only single rider solution I can see having a future right now.

Many (most?) of the guys I play with locally have their own carts, as do I. So when we play we are rarely doubled up. And yes, pace of play is directly impacted. We can easily play 18 in 3 hours without rushing, because we can all be at our balls scoping out the shot, picking a club, etc. while others are hitting. Only exception is of course when one ball is ahead of another and in the line of play.

I’ve also used the Finn Cycle and it’s amazing. Speeds play in two ways: 1) as described above. 2) At our course the only place Finn Cycles cannot go is on the greens and in bunkers. Otherwise, anywhere is good… green fringe, tee boxes, etc.

I wish instead of buying a cart we would have bought two Finn Cycles. Would have been cheaper too.

I have not yet, and really want to. I could see these being beneficial to pace, if people don't screw around too much with them. I could also see people wasting time playing around or still jist riding together and it not help. Definitely curious whats been seen by those that have used them.

The finn was super fun. I have wanted to own one personally ever since. I would like these (single rider options) to become a more available option.

I think it looks like fun but it shouldn't make pace of play faster. People that are slow in 2 person carts don't bring multiple clubs, go to their ball before it is their turn and play ready golf in general.

Finn is a fun way to navigate the course - quicker other than if you lose a ball, then it can slow down as you still need people to look for it. Lose out on some social aspects, but I am sure that could be added as i use them more often.

I haven’t had a chance to try one yet but I want to. I really do miss the quicker rounds when we all rode in carts solo

When it comes to vehicles, I prefer two wheels vs. four wheels, so it would be fun and interesting to try that on the golf course, too.

I've used a Finn cart. I don' think single rider carts will help pace of play. In general I think pace of play issues comes down to a couple of things: 1) Not watching the ball and/or spending far too long looking for balls; 2) slow everything around and on greens; 3) no interest in pace of play - paid their fees will take their time.

I often end up the only walker with a cart group. I am slower than a cart moving from point A to B, but that is never the cause of slow play in my experience.
But they did help pace of play.
It has been shown in nearly every test done that going directly to ball rather than sitting in a cart while someone hits before going to the next ball is a huge detriment.
I can say that a course we were just at (Hammock Beach) did this test and rounds on average were 18 minutes faster using single riders.

I have not used a single rider "cart" because at the courses that offer them it has been a $25 upcharge (at least) to use. I did find that the round was somewhat faster when we were one person to a cart, but I know for sure the courses aren't going to ever buy into single rider transportation

I think it looks like fun but it shouldn't make pace of play faster. People that are slow in 2 person carts don't bring multiple clubs, go to their ball before it is their turn and play ready golf in general.
Correct they dont. Yet in a single cart, they would be going to their ball and would have their clubs directly next to them.

BC642DB6-4315-4905-8239-D9B2A7F44C37.png
I rode this at True Blue. I was a single and can’t attest to pace of play as I went off early. Wish I would have gotten the Finn scooter instead this felt like I was on a riding lawnmower πŸ˜„

It has been shown in nearly every test done that going directly to ball rather than sitting in a cart while someone hits before going to the next ball is a huge detriment.
I can say that a course we were just at (Hammock Beach) did this test and rounds on average were 18 minutes faster using single riders.

There is no way that they "can't" help pace.. Unless you get a bunch of fools just riding around drunk joyriding and not really playing golf.

View attachment 9088888
I rode this at True Blue. I was a single and can’t attest to pace of play as I went off early. Wish I would have gotten the Finn scooter instead this felt like I was on a riding lawnmower πŸ˜„

The old lady at Walmart called.. She wants her rascal back.. lol.

Sure it can help in theory but overall behavior easily negates it. It's like driving a race car for in town stop and go traffic. Ain't gonna help. ;)

The old lady at Walmart called.. She wants her rascal back.. lol.
It looks like something an old lady would ride into a bathtub that has the door on it because she can't stand. lol

There is no way that they "can't" help pace.. Unless you get a bunch of fools just riding around drunk joyriding and not really playing golf.
Totally agree. Its the old adage that walking is as fast as riding for this very reason...Now make the walking Usain Bolt pace.

Back