MrBlast

Reaction score
My oldest son turns 21 in a couple of weeks and he wants to go skydiving for his birthday and he wants me to go with him. That was always on my bucket list as a young man... but at 50 yrs old, I'm not sure I want to do it. Maybe I'm turning into a wimp in my old age.
Thoughts?

Hard no. I just can’t imagine doing it willingly.

negatory...

meet him on the ground...

at the landing zone

Y’all know I’m nuts by now, I will gladly wrassle a gator or a bear.

No desire here. You better have a couple really strong guys behind me, 🤣.

Why jump out of a perfectly fine airplane

I did it once to do it and while it was great I will never do it again. If I had to pick I would do that again over bungee jumping.

There's probably stone crazy statistic like you more likely to die by a falling coconut than skydiving.

Do it if you want, but it's not for everyone. It's fun to sign your life away though and just hope stuff works on the way down.

It's something I always wanted to do, but the idea of what they call skydiving today, going out strapped to someone else, has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. I always thought the biggest challenge would be to see if you could actually jump out of a perfectly good airplane, on your own. :confused2:

Do it with him. You won't regret it and you'll never forget it. Your smiles on the ground alone will last you the rest of your life.

Based on the early returns of this thread, golfers are not adventurous and are afraid of fun. Ipso facto they are bad in bed and at life and I'm ashamed to be among them.

I'm glad I went skydiving 5-6 years ago. It's been on my Dad's bucket list and he's 63 but he's too heavy to go currently. Not sure it will ever happen, and that's probably the only reason I'd do it again.

@MrBlast I would highly recommend doing it with your son while you can! I still remember everyone that was on my plane and the great energy everyone had when we landed. We took that energy to the bars which sounds like the perfect place to take it for a 21st bday ;)

Hard no. But @Tenputt on the other hand…

I did it years ago and wanted to do it again but never got back around to it. It’s a hell of a rush, and a bit terrifying. I’m glad I did it and once the chute opens it is super peaceful, assuming your chute doesn’t open twisted like mine did it’s also pretty stress free. Well worth the experience and they did a good job of teaching us what to do before they let us get in the plane. If you’re at all interested I would say go for it.

If you get a chance to jump out of a plane, I say go for it. Nothing compares to the adrenaline rush you will have.

First time I jumped out of plane, I was in the military. Not what you would call actual "sky diving". I was 19 years old fearless, and bullet proof...so I thought. Scared the living daylights out of me. Didn't quit screaming till after the chute opened, and I gathered my scrambled thoughts. I was industrial strength terrified.

After I settled down, while hanging there, floating down, I started thinking about the landing, and that part of the training.

2nd time was not so bad, and I actually liked it. There were a few more times, but although I got "kind of" use to it, there was always that very strong thought of, what if ?

I probably wouldn't do it now due to my age.

My daughters, and their husbands have a few jumps under their belts. It's usually a spur of the moment thing for them.

I did 3 static line jumps from 3,000 feet as an 18-year-old. Was a blast. I'm guessing you'd probably do tandem jumps from much higher with an instructor. That'd be even more fun.

I won't take up skydiving as a hobby. I have too many people depending on me. But one jump just to cross it off? I'd say go for it.

Took my Bestest half for her 45th, her first.... I was 57......

@Tenputt just did this recently, I bet he has some insight.

I went when I was young and dumb, that was 20 years ago. It’s a hard no for me now, but I loved it when I did it. Wanted to go up and do it again right away.

@Tenputt just did this recently, I bet he has some insight.

I went when I was young and dumb, that was 20 years ago. It’s a hard no for me now, but I loved it when I did it. Wanted to go up and do it again right away.
I went ALOT when i was younger. It was 20 years since my last jump.

Yeah, at 18 it was a great time, at close to 40 my vertigo would kill me before I even hit the ground.
I think i had to prove i still could that day, at 64, now, hell no

I’ve thought about it numerous times but still come back to two reasons not to.
A) I don’t have the cajones
B) if I did muster the nerve I’d probably like it and go down another hobby rabbit hole. I have enough hobbies/activities

I’d jump without much of a second thought. Always seems quite fun, and the rush of adrenaline would be incredible. Might have to schedule one in sometime the next couple of years.

My own belief about life is that we should try to make unforgettable memories. If I had a son who wanted me to go with him for his 21st birthday, I would do it, even if the idea of it terrified me.

I have been tagged here because I just did it in June. It was a bucket list thing for me. By far, the scariest part, was standing in the doorway at the moment of truth. The actual jump is nothing like the rollercoasters that give you the G force feeling. It is much more like what you feel when you stick your arm out the window while driving 70 mph, only it is your entire body. They have so many safeguards that it is close to being foolproof. I will tell you that I was much more nervous going up Half Dome at Yosemite hanging onto the cables than I was jumping from an airplane.

Feel free to message if you have questions or want to discuss it.

94E8EB60-747A-4A4F-AFFF-F8B0ABBA56C5.jpeg

Back