Slightly Open Stance To Target Line

pingman222

Reaction score
Handicap
Slow Play
Does anyone else here sometimes struggle with keeping all the lines square to target, and instead benefit from having the stance open to target? I know guys will close the stance to accentuate with hitting a draw, but for me, for some reason i've found that a slightly open stance can yield me some good results, and i'm mostly talking about the driver here.

Some info about me is that I like to hit a mostly straight ball, but a more comfortable shot if i have to shape it would be a little fade. I struggle with hitting draws, in that i feel like i get too wrist-flippy. I think i've got a fairly late release and that contributes to it.

Through most of my round yesterday i would set up square and hit my drives. Some good, some bad, but generally i was not happy with how i was hitting it yesterday. The last 2 holes i decided to try and open my stance, drop my front foot back maybe an inch or two, and i just pure both drives, straight ballflight, and exactly what i was looking for.

Is there an explanation as to why this might work better for me? The "feeling" that i get when open stanced is that i can clear my hands better through the shot, hold my spine angles, and just get everything clear and "through". If i'm more square stanced, i will get the "stuck" feeling, trying to pull the hands down and inside, and then i start getting the flippy hooks, or if i hold off, i get the push slice.

I am a results-based type of person so i will play whatever works and whatever is giving me the results and flight that i want, but just would love to know the mechanics behind this, and if there is something that needs to be fixed instead, or to roll with it.

Many great players played with a flared lead foot. Hogan said it was essential.

The big questions I have, how do you know you were open? Did you put a rod down and look at it? If it works for you, then go with it. I just know, for me, an open stance means soft rights.

I also have this sensation of opening my stance and getting through ball easier. I try to square my stance and flare my front foot which gives me and open feel. It helps me release my front hip first in my swing. I do what ever helps me correct problems I experience day to day. If it helps you use it.

Flared foot helps your hips clear, close your shoulder to target if you still want a draw.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

The big questions I have, how do you know you were open? Did you put a rod down and look at it? If it works for you, then go with it. I just know, for me, an open stance means soft rights.

I've always played with a flared front foot, my front foot points probably 30-40*. however, maybe i do need to check with an alignment stick that my "open" feel, is in fact open, and thus maybe my "square" stance is actually closed or something. I am about 85% certain though that the drives that felt good, i had actually dropped my lead foot back to create an open stance. I know of course that an open stance can cause a fade ball movement, but thats my natural shot shape anyways and i don't mind playing a fade.

here's also another tidbit to consider with regards to an open stance and it's effect on my swing/shot.

I would characterize myself as a pretty decent fairway bunker player. I've always played them with a small choke down on the iron, and a slightly open stance. I can't attribute it to ONLY the open stance, but it's really the only other shots i force myself to do it, and i'm usually able to produce some very desirable results. I really think that perhaps it does in fact help my hips clear quicker, and maybe do that instead of humping the goat?

I agree. Same for me, open means right.

Hogan played an open stance with the wedges and progressively got more square to even closed as he went up the bag. I agree with others that an open stance just feels right, and for me it really allows me to accelerate my pivot through the swing.

played 9 holes yesterday and committed myself to dropping the lead foot back slightly and doing this for all shots, driver to wedge. I was hitting everything well, driver felt great off the face with little fades which i both expected and am fine with. Iron shots went straight and right at my target line. Hit it all very pure and would have scored better if not for some errant short game and putting. I'll continue on with this as it seems to be working!

My front foot is always flared and open to the target line in all my shots, UNLESS I'm having a day where I'm starting to miss to many shots to the right (fade for me) and then I'll square up my feet to help keep my hips closed. That was I can keep them a touch more quite and keep from fading.

Hogan played an open stance with the wedges and progressively got more square to even closed as he went up the bag. I agree with others that an open stance just feels right, and for me it really allows me to accelerate my pivot through the swing.

Moe Norman did the exact same thing, and they are arguably the most consistent ball strikers ever.

I have been doing something slightly similar - setting the face and feet square to the target line first, then closing my stance by dropping my right foot back slightly, and letting my hips / shoulders aim down the right side and flaring out my left foot - has been producing some very powerful draws for me

If that works for you, roll with it. I'd personally be fearful of pulling my shot if I dropped my lead foot off the target line. That's what good golfers do though, they make in-round adjustments if and where needed. Shoot, two weeks ago Day said he focused 1-2 ball lengths in front of the actual ball's placement because his swing was bottoming out earlier than usual. Good luck out there.

The open stance is a great way to play if you have issues clearing those hips.

Back