So I went to my nearby Dick's Sporting Goods today...

No roswell, was just annoyed with the customer service and with the fact there was an R11 in stock, and they wouldn't switch out the shaft from an S to an R. That store's customer service has never been stellar.... I just told the kid that he lost a sale...

Fair enough. I would have asked the question too if I wanted them to switch a shaft but if they have their reasons then I would be ok with it. Maybe I just don't like confrontation. If the guy was a douche though I would definitely send them an email about their customer service. Have done in the past with various businesses.

This why I go to my local pro. Never a problem and I can game anything in the store on the course before I purchase.

War Eagle, they had an R11 I would have traded for had the kid gotten them to change out the S shaft for an R...that would have been fine with me since I now have an R11 driver(waiting for a shaft and tip). He actually didn't care if I bought anything or not, because if he had, he would have worked harder to get someone to allow the shafts to be swapped out.

You said he apologized? You could have ordered it and had your club within a few days. Stores run out of stock on items it happens. If this is such a suprise to you then your better off shopping online. Imagine if they switched the shafts for everyone who asked. The stores on hand number would not be accurate. Then nobody knows what they do or don't have.

Did you want the kid to switch the shafts and get fired? lol would that make you happy since you would have gotten your club 2 or 3 days sooner?

Cameron Newport 2, Nike VR full cavity irons, and Burner Superfast 2.0 driver.

Wow... my pro shop would've given me 550+ without the bonus for all of that... If I need that much clubs no way it happens.

While I would love to support the local shop I am about saving money. Unfortunately my local shops are so over priced you would be an idiot to buy your clubs there.

I will add that the two Dick's in Madison have pretty good customer service and I have never had an issue. Maybe the OP is just overly sensitive and has a God complex?? LOL!!! Just playing......

Wow... my pro shop would've given me 550+ without the bonus for all of that... If I need that much clubs no way it happens.
I'm not thinking your pro shop is close enough to him to consider.

They go by the PGA value guide. I knew going in that the offer would be low, but the clubs weren't being used so I didn't care too much. I got what I wanted and didn't have to pay for it.

I'm not thinking your pro shop is close enough to him to consider.

Well aware of this. Simply stating that I get much more than big box stores.

jt2929 said:
They go by the PGA value guide. I knew going in that the offer would be low, but the clubs weren't being used so I didn't care too much.

PGA Valueguide is sometimes high sometimes low. It's all based on eBay. But, if they were just sitting around it's no harm done.

Well aware of this. Simply stating that I get much more than big box stores.
We know that. Your pro shop is awesome. But how does that apply to what is going on here?

He actually didn't care if I bought anything or not, because if he had, he would have worked harder to get someone to allow the shafts to be swapped out.

Are you really all that surprised that the kid working hourly for minimum wage didn't care if you bought from the dick's sporting goods corporation or not?

He likely has little to no vested interested at all. If this were a local / independently owned pro shop I'd be much more surprised.

To answer a couple of questions, no I am not surprised of how he acted, but there was no one in the section but me and he could have been a little more helpful. Anyway, I am going to my local shop and get what I want if I decide to get it.

Are you really all that surprised that the kid working hourly for minimum wage didn't care if you bought from the dick's sporting goods corporation or not?

He likely has little to no vested interested at all. If this were a local / independently owned pro shop I'd be much more surprised.

Agreed. How does anyone think a min wage employee is going to care whether you buy anything or not. There is no commission there. If he was rude, I could see how that would be a problem. But like others have said, he said he could've ordered it for you. Not only did you not like that, but you also are complaining about a policy that some stores can't do (changing shafts).

That sucks. I was at my local Dicks the other day and wanted a pair of shoes they had on sale. They did not have my size so the guy called and looked at the inventory list to see if another store had them. The only store was in NYC. By the time the shoes would have gotten there the sale would have been done. So the guy says let me call Golf Galaxy to see if they have them. He tells me since they Dicks owns GG that they would honor that same sale. He was right drove right over there and they had the shoes waiting.

I'm pretty sure they would have honored the sale price even if they had to order it? I really don't see the problem here, normally they just order it in and you wait like 3-5 days and pick it up for sale price.

To answer a couple of questions, no I am not surprised of how he acted, but there was no one in the section but me and he could have been a little more helpful. Anyway, I am going to my local shop and get what I want if I decide to get it.

He asked his manager though and he manager said no, correct?

I really don't get how this is the kids fault or even the stores fault if it's policy.

UPDATE: Received a call from the local Dick's store today. The gentleman I spoke with said they would be willing to give a deal on either the Rocketballz or an R11S fairway wood that the clerk did not even tell me about. So I asked if they would honor the trade in deal currently which allows for another 50% on my clubs to trade. He said yes, so I said I wanted a Rocketballz in an R flex. I am waiting to hear from the golf pro instore to complete the deal. It was also explained to me, I guess I didn't pay attention, that the double trade deal was only for RBZ and R11s, not for the R11, even though I asked if the shaft could have been changed and he said had I wanted that club,they would have done it. Apparently, some new people working in the golf store....Stay tuned, will keep you updated.

UPDATE: Received a call from the local Dick's store today. The gentleman I spoke with said they would be willing to give a deal on either the Rocketballz or an R11S fairway wood that the clerk did not even tell me about. So I asked if they would honor the trade in deal currently which allows for another 50% on my clubs to trade. He said yes, so I said I wanted a Rocketballz in an R flex. I am waiting to hear from the golf pro instore to complete the deal. It was also explained to me, I guess I didn't pay attention, that the double trade deal was only for RBZ and R11s, not for the R11, even though I asked if the shaft could have been changed and he said had I wanted that club,they would have done it. Apparently, some new people working in the golf store....Stay tuned, will keep you updated.

I guess that doesn't seem so bad. Keep up posted

I buy golf balls and tees at Dicks....thats it

I work at a Dick's in Michigan and not just the pro shop but the store/company gets beat up pretty good about customer service. I actually do agree with a lot of the complaints and being a cashier I hear and have to deal with a lot of them. But most of the time it is out of my control or up to the managers. However, I can honestly say that most, not all, but most employees at the store I work at want to help customers and get them what they want and I think it is that way at most stores. However I do realize it only takes on bad worker to make us all look bad. As for the pro shop we have three employees, one being the pro and all them work very hard to help everyone. But unlike your local pro shop or Golfsmith, Dick's does not specialize in golf, we carry items that cover most sports but don't specialize in any. Most of the time we will carry what you need but maybe not what you want. Furthermore, we have company guidelines and policies to follow that a local pro shop doesn't have to.

As for asking to swap shafts that is a little difficult. I don't think we carry the standard shaft that is in the driver so we would either have to order it which we can't control the price of and it takes a week or so to arrive or we could use one we had in stock. We could eat the cost and just swap out the shafts but Dick's is a business. You could purchase a shaft with a regular flex and talk to them about throwing in a free shaft change. I feel safe at my store that's what we would have offered.

Ultimately, as employees we take a lot from customers about prices and what we carry and on the ground level we don't manage any of it. So there may be times that a work may seem not to care or like they don't want to be there but they could of just got their ass handed to them by a customer about something they don't control. Someone got mad at me because I could use a coupon on a RBZ driver but the system we doesn't even let me enter the coupon because it is Taylormade. I wasn't in the room when this was decided and I didn't write the code for the program to do this I simply use it. I can't even override it, I have no control over the price. Even for trade in value, I enter the products code and the price pops up, I don't control it, its based off of current values. I really do want to have every customer leave happy and I do everything I can to make this happen but sometimes I can't.

Their loss. Im sure youd be more than happy to spend your money somewhere else from now on. I personally cant stand Dick's/Golf Galaxy. IMO, they usually have a pretty poor selection (unless all you want is Callaway or TM) and the customer service is pretty horrible

Reviving an old thread because I couldn't believe what happened to me at my local dicks.

Me and a buddy went for him to get a driver fitting. The associate couldn't be found for over five minutes. When he finally arrives my buddy asks him for a driver fitting and I quote "nah man not today, it's saturday and it's busy and I'm actually on my scheduled break"

Are you kidding me? It wasn't even busy it was just me and my buddy and another guy in the golf section. But seriously it say that to a customer blows my mind

You don't want a fitting from those guys anyways. Go to someone who knows what they are doing. That guy did you a favor.

You don't want a fitting from those guys anyways. Go to someone who knows what they are doing. That guy did you a favor.

Quoted for truth

Back