Social Media Influencers & Golf

I think most influencers are better off not playing golf in front of a gallery. They lose credibility.

But ego is a strange thing.

Stick to YouTube and doing commercials.

I think most influencers are better off not playing golf in front of a gallery. They lose credibility.

But ego is a strange thing.

Stick to YouTube and doing commercials.
Kind of hard to edit real life...

Watching elite athletes compete bc they are good at what they do is a different thing in my opinion. Similar to watching a singer or band in concert to see how they sound and the energy of their performance. To me it used to be interesting to see pro golfers in person and have a better perspective of their skill, but the entertainment wore off after going a couple of times

As far as influencers go, I’m sure these guys make entertaining videos so I get watching their videos when you have down time at home. I just don’t understand taking the time and effort to go out and watch these influencers in person, unedited. Maybe they are hoping to become friends with these guys or have them date their sister??? Idk maybe influencers are more entertaining in person than I am giving them credit for.

I get what you are saying and don't necessarily disagree...last night I was watching the Suns/Nuggets. My days of dunking a ball are a couple decades behind me. With that said when someone comes off a pin-down to see someone slide over to force a pass while the third defender rotates to cover the lane...I get what is going on and when they don't help the helper as we used to call it I see the breakdown. I get what is going on.

My brother mentioned my nephew had improved in his videogaming by watching others. It kind of made sense. Still not for me...if video games are involved I am playing, not watching...to me it absolutely is different than watching a high level pro athlete do what I can never do, but for some members of the younger generation...this is their version.

I am sitting on my porch screaming "get off my lawn" at them...but trying to come to an understanding. lol I am so old. I concur in my heart with what you say...but in my head I have been swayed by watching my nieces and nephews enjoy things I find ridiculous and suddenly some of Mom and Dad's commentary on some of the things I picked up that were the hot new thing when I was young make sense. I hate being more self-aware...makes young me look bad lol

Sure they are, but I highly doubt what they do on youtube translates in person to a big audience.
Why not? If people are entertained by it, then why wouldn’t people be able to also enjoy it in person?

It is so funny to me that people complain about influencers. Let's just take Garrett for example. He started posting videos on YouTube in 2013 and his trick shots started a few years later and they started to get a little attention. As he got more popular he amateur status came into question. Garrett was not making money off of his trick shots but other outlets that reposted his videos made money off of his likeness. That meant he was ineligible for NCAA golf. His channel that was planned with Brodie was a failure. 2 large L's for Garrett. Did that stop him? He kept plowing ahead and yes there are investors now and all kinds of craziness but he busted his butt to get where he is. He is a great example for young kids starting out not knowing exactly what they want to do in life. There have been bumps along the way and will have more bumps in the future but I can't fault these YouTube guys for putting themselves out there and having a bunch of keyboard warriors try to tear them down. They are not all my favorites and I don't watch all the videos but I respect the hustle.

Watching elite athletes compete bc they are good at what they do is a different thing in my opinion. Similar to watching a singer or band in concert to see how they sound and the energy of their performance. To me it used to be interesting to see pro golfers in person and have a better perspective of their skill, but the entertainment wore off after going a couple of times

As far as influencers go, I’m sure these guys make entertaining videos so I get watching their videos when you have down time at home. I just don’t understand taking the time and effort to go out and watch these influencers in person, unedited. Maybe they are hoping to become friends with these guys or have them date their sister??? Idk maybe influencers are more entertaining in person than I am giving them credit for.
It’s like saying following a THP Experience is a waste of time. Some people love this community and enjoy seeing others go through the unthinkable. Because they might get to do it themselves, which is awesome.

It is so funny to me that people complain about influencers. Let's just take Garrett for example. He started posting videos on YouTube in 2013 and his trick shots started a few years later and they started to get a little attention. As he got more popular he amateur status came into question. Garrett was not making money off of his trick shots but other outlets that reposted his videos made money off of his likeness. That meant he was ineligible for NCAA golf. His channel that was planned with Brodie was a failure. 2 large L's for Garrett. Did that stop him? He kept plowing ahead and yes there are investors now and all kinds of craziness but he busted his butt to get where he is. He is a great example for young kids starting out not knowing exactly what they want to do in life. There have been bumps along the way and will have more bumps in the future but I can't fault these YouTube guys for putting themselves out there and having a bunch of keyboard warriors try to tear them down. They are not all my favorites and I don't watch all the videos but I respect the hustle.

Why not? If people are entertained by it, then why wouldn’t people be able to also enjoy it in person?
Because it’s live and talking and entertaining a big crowd is different and harder than talking into a camera and later editing it.
Like I said I could be wrong and these guys are very entertaining. Some people like to follow Bill Murray around Pebble Beach and I think that’s a little odd too.

It’s like saying following a THP Experience is a waste of time. Some people love this community and enjoy seeing others go through the unthinkable. Because they might get to do it themselves, which is awesome.
I really don’t think the THP community is similar to a YouTube channel’s fans at all.

I really don’t think the THP community is similar to a YouTube channel’s fans at all.
I think you might have missed the point

As you said

"I don’t understand why you would go waste hours watching these influencers prance around over getting your own tee time and playing the game for yourself..."

People choose to follow what they are interested in. Using a THP Experience as an example, is very similar in the aspect of seeing others enjoy a beautiful golf course you dream about playing like the Hideaway, Sawgrass, Olympia Fields, Bellerive, Victoria National or Ballyhack, etc etc. Doing so with brand new clubs handed to you/them when you show up by the people that designed them, is a special experience.

Its not for everybody. It is for many, including those here with the live update threads of the special events that take place every month.

With golf, they tend to work for me. In some of my other hobbies like watches for example, less so. Golf seems to be an arena where reviewers/influencers/and sponsored golfers tend to have a bit more cred. They are golfers. There are even some who I absolutely consider educators. As far as "professional" influencers who seem to have no legitimate skills in life aside from wh0ring for free stuff, clicks, and likes, they are, imo, detrimental to brands. Their credibility is one level below people who do "Reaction" videos on youtube. I have had to deal with "professional influencers" in the past due to business and I always found they cheapen a brands image.

Last edited:
Back