Soft Case on Southwest Flights?

thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Planning to bring my golf bag on a Southwest flight, but paused when I read this:
  • Golf bag in hard-sided golf bag carrying case provided by Passenger, including clubs, balls, and shoes. Hooded golf bags or golf bags in a soft-sided carrying case provided by the Passenger will be subject to limited release.
Does anyone here know what limited release means?

Basically it means you are not insured for them more than other luggage.

With that said, pop the heads off, put them in their headcovers in a pocket in a bag. And you should be fine.

JB has you covered. This is what I do and have never had issues with SW.

With that said, pop the heads off, put them in their headcovers in a pocket in a bag. And you should be fine.
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

I completely agree. I have 2 softside bags and a hard case. I've never had a problem with the softsides and I have always pulled the heads and even do it out of habit when I use my hard case. :oops:

Dumb question, but I'm assuming when you say pull heads you're referring to drivers or woods that you can do that with, not irons correct?

Dumb question, but I'm assuming when you say pull heads you're referring to drivers or woods that you can do that with, not irons correct?

Correct

Get a stiff arm and wrap a couple of golf towels around the heads of your irons (and putter) to protect those clubheads.

The steel shaft can take a bit more abuse than a graphite one can. Taking the heads off just gives a lot more peace of mind. If you have the time and want to grab one of those retractable club arms, put that in your bag too and it will take a lot of worry off your mind.

Get a stiff arm and wrap a couple of golf towels around the heads of your irons (and putter) to protect those clubheads.
Good idea

The steel shaft can take a bit more abuse than a graphite one can. Taking the heads off just gives a lot more peace of mind. If you have the time and want to grab one of those retractable club arms, put that in your bag too and it will take a lot of worry off your mind.
Retractable club arm?

Retractable club arm?

As JB posted, yeah it's just called a club arm. Put bag in travel case, put this thingy in there, lock it into place, voila. Still take the heads off, just cause hey why not?

Mr. Repetitive here... I've used a Sun Mountain Glider on SW, AA, JetBlue, Frontier, Alaska

I pull the heads, wrap them in the headcover and insert them into the golf bag. The one time I put a head in my carry-on, I thought they were going to do a cavity search even though I washed the heads - tough to get out fertilizer.

Use Stiff Arm.
Do not leave any voids near top middle to top of bag - use towels or clothes to pad the clubs.
TSA will open the bag probably because of fertilizer or just because they are required
Find a TSA lock and use it

Mr. Repetitive here... I've used a Sun Mountain Glider on SW, AA, JetBlue, Frontier, Alaska

I pull the heads, wrap them in the headcover and insert them into the golf bag. The one time I put a head in my carry-on, I thought they were going to do a cavity search even though I washed the heads - tough to get out fertilizer.

Use Stiff Arm.
Do not leave any voids near top middle to top of bag - use towels or clothes to pad the clubs.
Get a required lock
TSA will open the bag probably because of fertilizer or just because they are required
Find a TSA lock and use it
Thanks for the advice!

Planning to bring my golf bag on a Southwest flight, but paused when I read this:
  • Golf bag in hard-sided golf bag carrying case provided by Passenger, including clubs, balls, and shoes. Hooded golf bags or golf bags in a soft-sided carrying case provided by the Passenger will be subject to limited release.
Does anyone here know what limited release means?

I fly SW almost exclusively, never had an issue. Just pop those heads off and youll be fine.

I have flown SW many times with a soft bag. Never any problems with damage, or insurance.

Probably 20K miles. Last time I flew was about 5 years ago, so things might have changed since then.

Once I had my golf bag loaded, and in the soft bag, I packed the rest of my clothes and stuff around my golf bag for club protection.

Flew with just that bag, and my carry on bag.

I have flown SW many times with a soft bag. Never any problems with damage, or insurance.

Probably 20K miles. Last time I flew was about 5 years ago, so things might have changed since then.

Once I had my golf bag loaded, and in the soft bag, I packed the rest of my clothes and stuff around my golf bag for club protection.

Flew with just that bag, and my carry on bag.
[/QUOTE
Solid idea, did you iron clothes when you got there I'm assuming?

What about fairways/hybrids heads without adapters/adjusting tips? Should put the hybrid upside down if it fits? risk the 3w?

What about fairways/hybrids heads without adapters/adjusting tips? Should put the hybrid upside down if it fits? risk the 3w?

Headcovers and Stiff Arm - meander towel around the clubs and then clothes around the top and the top should have a padded cover

Never thought to pop the heads off, simple and brilliant. I travel with a soft case too..

Back