Spieth or Reed - Fast Forward

I think it could be a fun rivalry. Like them both, but my gut says Spieth

I like Speith. The fact he worked out hard this off season and added a ton of yardage to his driver game is impressive. Whereas Reid doesn't look like he's worked out a day in his life. Reid survived today because everyone around him floundered. Which is fine but I want to see how he performs when the heat is on. His putter was absolutely on fire and that was the difference. Is he always that good on the greens? That will be interesting to see over the coming year.

Also his top 5 comments were silly to vocalize. Its great to think you're a top player, but saying it to the entire world is not going to gain you any friends on tour and may put undue pressure to now live up to your own hype.

I think Reed. He has more pieces of the rest of his life in place. His wife is expecting, and that may change things, but she's also all-in on his golf career. I don't think he's trying to lead a double-life of Pat the golfer and Pat the at home husband/father. I think his wife recognizes the importance of not having to develop that dualism. Also, the rest of the family is all-in on his game and career. If I recall, his brother-in-law is on the bag while his wife is pregnant. So with that in mind, he's got a great support system, and I suspect that will transfer over to the kid-handling duties.

That's not to say Jordan can't go on to have a great career. I just think that there's a lot of other changes that are still yet to come in his life and career that he'll have to integrate and adapt to.

I think speith is a good player and so is reed but id rather spend my free time playing golf myself than watch either from a fan perspective

Speith I think has the edge. Reed has the baby on the way, he's gonna devote some time to being a dad. Work on the swing, or hang out with the baby. Baby wins. Speith just has to keep his head on straight and keep doing what he's doing.

I think that Spieth will ultimately be the better of the two but Reed's game looks like it is a bit more polished currently

Something in the coverage today reminded me about Reed's Monday qualifying multiple times. That is ultimate winner takes all pressure. I think Reed will win more over next couple of years.

Last edited:
In the next 2 years Reed will be the more successful player IMO, but over the next 10 I'm not so sure.

In the next 2 years Reed will be the more successful player IMO, but over the next 10 I'm not so sure.

I'm with you on this. I see Reed having a better go of it over the next 24 months. Jordan seems to get more outwardly flustered on the course, especially in pressure moments. You can tell Reed is feeling the pressure by some if his shots ( he missed 5 greens in a row closing out the WGC). Both are young, and that is a good sign for the future. A good rivalry between these two 5 -10 years down the road will be a good thing, as Tiger can't play forever (unless they come out with a Tiborg, that would be cool).

THP #theking #imwithchad

I really like them both. Gotta go with Spieth though. Reed is the more mature at the moment, but Spieth is gaining ground quickly.

JM

I think Reed has the better run. Speith has already shown he can get rattled and not live up to the hype.

While Reed has has 2 iffy wins, he still has gutted them out to hang on and win. It may not be pretty but that's how you win early on. As he finds himself more and more at the top if the leaderboard he will start to play better and not only win but distance himself and not let field catch him.

Funny how Morning Drive has this as a topic. Stealing THP thunder again.

I think Spieth will have the slight edge. I think both have confidence and the moxy to win, but Spieth seems to be more in control. I only saw bits and pieces of Reed's final round at WGC Caddy, but seemed like the pressure was getting him especially on 18.

Spieth just seems to be in control and I think is a better putter. I need to go look at putter stats & only basing of what I've seen this year.

Like many have said either was the young core of US players is strong and look forward to seeing these two help the USA get the Ryder Cup back.

My vote is going towards Spieth - a lot more long-term potential I think….

I think over the course of a full career it would probably be spieth because his overall game has a higher ceiling for him to grow into.

over the course of the next two years I think reed might have the edge. He's shown he can close it out. I also think he's motivated by a huge chip on his shoulder and feels he's been overlooked.

My thoughts exactly. 2 years out, I'd go Reed. Entire career, I think Spieth might fair better.

Looking back, the comparison is not all that fair. There is over a three year age difference between the two. Spieth will have more than three wins by the time he is 23 years old. I understand they came on tour around the same time, but Spieth's body should hold up longer. Reed is closer to Fowler in age and Reed will win that argument. Spieth to me is more of a Rory in which he came on the tour young and he is going to mature in the same fashion. Win once a year with possibly a major or two by the time he is 24.

I think Speith will be the better play over the next 2 years, and certainly over the long-term. I hope Reed continues to play well, I just feel like Speith has a much higher ceiling since he is a few years younger and slightly better game. Reed certainly impresses me with his hunger and drive, but once he has a baby golf will become secondary to his family. He's already pocketed over $5M in prize money over the last few years - so he won't be fighting to pay his bills or to keep his card.

I think Spieth is your long-time winner, as he appears to take better care of himself. Reed could be hot in the short term, but I worry about his back/knee if he doesn't get in a little better shape because the PGA can be grueling.

It's easy to say Jordan Spieth mainly because of the fact that he's fit and seems more poised for long term success. Not to mention Spieth has some solid results albeit no wins in majors. I'm taking the kid who just seems more apt to put up with the stress of life on the PGA tour can do to one's body.

I think Reed has the better run. Speith has already shown he can get rattled and not live up to the hype.

While Reed has has 2 iffy wins, he still has gutted them out to hang on and win. It may not be pretty but that's how you win early on. As he finds himself more and more at the top if the leaderboard he will start to play better and not only win but distance himself and not let field catch him.

I don't think that's necessarily how you win early on so much as that's how you win. We're kinda spoiled by Tiger in that we're entering an era of golf with a lot of parity. When Tiger was in his prime, there was the "Who's coming in second?" mentality that I know I'm really used to. We might have to go back to the idea that "best year" might mean 2 or 3 wins and the best average finish. Lapping the field or winning by 5+ strokes just won't happen very often at all, IMO. So I agree that Reed winning matches by his fingernails is till him winning, but I also think that's going to become the norm, not the exception, in the future.

Speith, because I'm throwing darts I have no idea.

If the question was asked last fall I would have said Spieth. At that time, both Jordan and Patrick had 1 win each, now I am not too sure. Patrick Reed is obviously playing some good golf, 2 wins in 2014 is a great start. Both have good golf games, lots of upside for both of them. I will go with Jordan over the long haul.

I think Spieth will outlast Reed. Reed has a lot of confidence right now, maybe too much, but if he has a strings of bad tournaments, I believe it will get in his mind. Spieth seems to have what is takes for years to come.

Just based on my casual observation, Spieth has more innate talent, and Reed is maybe more of a gamer/closer. Reed's short game really seems to hold up under pressure.

I thought Jordan originally. Reed has big time guts. I love that

Going with Spieth here. Really good points can be made for both. He just looks like he's built for the long haul. Reed is very hot now. It did make me think that he has won 2 tourneys now without his wife on the bag. Think there is anything to it other than a a fluke? Not saying she's not a good caddy, just wonder if he may play differently without his wife being so close to the action.

Back