Sports theoretical: NBA - removes the 3point line.

The three point line didn’t ruin the NBA, it was around during those times. The soft play did.
Is it ruined? It’s more popular than ever.

I remember those days. Without the 3-point shot play does gravitate toward the basket... and teams would again be in search of the dominant big man like in the days of Russell, Chamberlain, and Jabbar.
Yup, I agree with this.

They just need to allow hand checking outside the 3 point line. Fixes a lot. Getting rid of the 3 point line would take us back to 90s basketball which was trash.

Is it ruined? It’s more popular than ever.
What? No it’s not. This past season was one of the lowest in 30 years. Hell, the past four seasons are 4 of the 6 lowest watched.

What? No it’s not. This past season was one of the lowest in 30 years. Hell, the past four seasons are 4 of the 6 lowest watched.
I was under the impression rating had stayed steady while they have had explosive streaming subscription growth in the NBA League Pass. And also we’re having the highest in person attendance across the league ever. It’s getting harder to measure these things but the NBA seems to be doing great and is especially great with younger audiences. Not sure where 2023 hit but this looks healthy to me.

IMG_1087.png

I was under the impression rating had stayed steady while they have had explosive streaming subscription growth in the NBA League Pass. And also we’re having the highest in person attendance across the league ever. It’s getting harder to measure these things but the NBA seems to be doing great and is especially great with younger audiences. Not sure where 2023 hit but this looks healthy to me.

View attachment 9201576

NBA Ratings are half of what they were 2-3 decades ago. While overall TV viewership is down as well, other sports have not had the same decline. There are many factors that point to this and this is coming from someone that is a fan. The Bubble season sent a lot of people away. They go to sports to escape that stuff not be drowned in it. The free agency is over the top and things like Ja Morant are the headlines, when the game doesn't need that from its stars.

If overall revenue is the deciding factor to popularity, then sure, the China influx has brought a **** ton of cash. NBA China is worth approximately 5 billion a year in revenue and owned by and large by the NBA, with a small piece being owned by ESPN.

But I would never judge popularity by total revenue...

NBA Ratings are half of what they were 2-3 decades ago. While overall TV viewership is down as well, other sports have not had the same decline. There are many factors that point to this and this is coming from someone that is a fan. The Bubble season sent a lot of people away. They go to sports to escape that stuff not be drowned in it. The free agency is over the top and things like Ja Morant are the headlines, when the game doesn't need that from its stars.

If overall revenue is the deciding factor to popularity, then sure, the China influx has brought a **** ton of cash. NBA China is worth approximately 5 billion a year in revenue and owned by and large by the NBA, with a small piece being owned by ESPN.

But I would never judge popularity by total revenue...

These are just TV numbers but over 20 years that’s basically flat and growing as a share of total TV viewers the last few years. That is combined with a ton of growth in their NBA League Pass subscriptions.

IMG_1088.png

The NBA also just set an all time attendance record in the 2022-2023 season. Sales of basketball related goods are at all time highs and not moving backwards.

I’m not seeing this as a ruined product. It looks like a thriving and growing product to me.

Particularly given this demographic trend.

IMG_1089.png

These are just TV numbers but over 20 years that’s basically flat and growing as a share of total TV viewers the last few years. That is combined with a ton of growth in their NBA League Pass subscriptions.

View attachment 9201583

The NBA also just set an all time attendance record in the 2022-2023 season. Sales of basketball related goods are at all time highs and not moving backwards.

I’m not seeing this as a ruined product. It looks like a thriving and growing product to me.

View attachment 9201589
I dont recall saying that.
I have said and will continue to, that while the other sports are making changes to grow, this sport has remained flat or down compared to where it was and viewing is down 50% from 30 years ago.
NBA League Pass as an example had a huge price cut to reign people in because it was so down previously. In fact so far down, there was talk of them canceling it or selling it off because nobody was buying.

I love data on viewership pre bubble :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

viewing is down 50% from 30 years ago.
30 years ago they had 3 games on every week and Micheal Jordan was featured in 2 of them. That’s not really a fair comparison is it?

30 years ago they had 3 games on every week and Micheal Jordan was featured in 2 of them. That’s not really a fair comparison is it?
A league having to cut prices in half of their League Pass to get people to purchase it isn't exactly a sign of "more popular than ever".
A league playing the same amount of games, and half of the people are viewing it on TV as they were 30 years ago is not "more popular than ever".

Im not sure how this is even debated. (y)

half of the people are viewing it on TV as they were 30 years ago is not "more popular than ever".

How many games were on TV in 1992-1993 season verses now? If each game now draws
half the viewers that each game drew then than there are more viewers now than there were 30 years ago if there are at least twice as many games on TV now than there were 30 years ago. By my memory there are about 4-5 times as many games on now than there were then. 20 or so now and may 3 or 4 then.

How many games were on TV in 1992-1993 season verses now? If each game now draws
half the viewers that each game drew then than there are more viewers now than there were 30 years ago if there are at least twice as many games on TV now than there were 30 years ago. By my memory there are about 4-5 times as many games on now than there were then. 20 or so now and may 3 or 4 then.
Wait, what? So if the same people are watching more games, its more popular? That makes absolutely no sense. None of that changes the ratings, which shows it is half the viewership, and to compound that the league dropped their out of market game price by nearly half to get people to sign up.

I get that you want to believe otherwise, but its just not there. Still cant figure out how its being argued.

Ya, the NBA cares about the younger generation, streaming, social media, international audience, and creating revenue. Things that will keep the sport popular now and into the future. They are doing very well in those categories.

Back