Sports theoretical: NBA - removes the 3point line.

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
What happens?

After some thought, I think the game opens up a bunch and forces people away from the 3 pointer or layup mentality. Of course these stars would have to practice shooting midrange shots so there might be an adjustment, but would lead to some more creative offense and entertaining games.

What happens?

After some thought, I think the game opens up a bunch and forces people away from the 3 pointer or layup mentality. Of course these stars would have to practice shooting midrange shots so there might be an adjustment, but would lead to some more creative offense and entertaining games.
I think the opposite would happen. Things would tighten up as the incentive for long range shooting goes away. Games would grind to a halt, as trying to get to the hoop, or get fouled in the process, take over.

Just like golf, the closer you are to the hole, the better.

I remember those days. Without the 3-point shot play does gravitate toward the basket... and teams would again be in search of the dominant big man like in the days of Russell, Chamberlain, and Jabbar.

I think the opposite would happen. Things would tighten up as the incentive for long range shooting goes away. Games would grind to a halt, as trying to get to the hoop, or get fouled in the process, take over.

Just like golf, the closer you are to the hole, the better.
I could see that
They would have to allow defense again to keep it from a free throw fest.

It would change the game a lot but not sure it makes it better or worse or just different.

Without the 3, the close 2 becomes the best shot in basketball. Easiest way to get that is post ups (because everyone would just dive under pick and roles since long 2's are a terrible shot)

So you'd probably get more focus on huge guys, post game etc. Few driving lanes

Would be like watching the '95 Knicks vs Rockets. Some people liked that. Some didn't.

Roy Hibbert would be playable again

Think it's return of the big man and physical games where you're trying to feed the post and get the ball as close to the rim as possible.

They would need to increase the foul limit from 6 to at least 8.

Phoenix Suns dominate the NBA... best mid range team in the league.

The warriors are a bottom 3 team in the west 🤣

I firmly believe it would ruin the game. Taking away that spread gives less incentive to keep it outside and you're going to pack the paint a lot more.

They would need to increase the foul limit from 6 to at least 8.
Wilt Chamberlain never fouled out of a game his entire career. Insane!

Wilt Chamberlain never fouled out of a game his entire career. Insane!
He definitely knew how to play D! These guys now have no clue.

He definitely knew how to play D! These guys now have no clue.

They played in a very different era though, where you could pretty much stab, punch and molest opposing players.

Bill Russell was the best shot blocker of the era by a country mile and he fouled out very few times in his career too. less than 1 per season

They played in a very different era though, where you could pretty much stab, punch and molest opposing players.

Bill Russell was the best shot blocker of the era by a country mile and he fouled out very few times in his career too. less than 1 per season
Agreed! You can get a flagrant 1 now by whispering in someone's ear.

What happens?

How the game would be played definitely changes. There would be much more emphasis on post play and midrange shooting. The offenses would have to run more set plays in and through the post. A skilled big man who can pass would be a premium. The stretch 4 would likely have to revert back to the power forward.

It would go back to a inside/outside game.

That’s insane. The NBA has been boring for years anyway. Full of primadonnas who play only when they want to and cry and whine every time someone touches them. Bring back 80/ 90’s basketball
The three point line didn’t ruin the NBA, it was around during those times. The soft play did.

The three point line didn’t ruin the NBA, it was around during those times. The soft play did.
I agree, and I’ll admit I don’t watch like I used to. Guys are soft and whiners. Nothing like the Bad Boys era where there was defense and if you came into the lane you paid the price.

It’s all Steph curry’s fault because he’s so damn good all the kids see what he does and he want to shoot the 3 instead of working on their ball skills or driving to the lane.

I agree, and I’ll admit I don’t watch like I used to. Guys are soft and whiners. Nothing like the Bad Boys era where there was defense and if you came into the lane you paid the price.

It’s all Steph curry’s fault because he’s so damn good all the kids see what he does and he want to shoot the 3 instead of working on their ball skills or driving to the lane.
Paul Pierce whining after every play.
Hand checking going away.
Lebrons decision to jersey burning to welcome back to see ya later
The 28 teams Durant has played for.
The constant demands to be traded because you can’t get it done.
Have i mentioned no hand checking?
Bonus step so they don’t have to call stars traveling….
And finally, the salary cap is a ******* joke.

I remember basketball before the 3 point line. There were still shooting guards, but there was more action down low and centers had more value than just being a rebounder.

I remember basketball before the 3 point line. There were still shooting guards, but there was more action down low and centers had more value than just being a rebounder.
Didn’t a C just win MVP? 😃

Back