Srixon ZX Utility Iron Review

This is now going into the winter test bag... need to figure out something in the top of the bag...

I ordered a brand new ZX Utility today in 4i (23º) with the Recoil 95 F4 shaft. Stumbled on a price that I couldn't pass up. Should be here in a few days... Bag battle between the Utility, LTDx 6i and LTDx 24º hybrid.

I ordered a brand new ZX Utility today in 4i (23º) with the Recoil 95 F4 shaft. Stumbled on a price that I couldn't pass up. Should be here in a few days... Bag battle between the Utility, LTDx 6i and LTDx 24º hybrid.
The 1 from Amazon?

The 1 from Amazon?
No, found it on Golf Town. They're having a "brand days" sale, and Srixon has both RH and LH ZX Utilities in 23º included.

Would love a Link please, thinking about adding the 3 ZX

I looked at this exact club this weekend at a store and loved the look of it! I want to get some swings with it.

Shipping notification received! They're even sending it FedEx! Should have this club in-hand by Monday/Tuesday next week! Hopefully Monday so I can put it right in to league play.

Shipping notification received! They're even sending it FedEx! Should have this club in-hand by Monday/Tuesday next week! Hopefully Monday so I can put it right in to league play.
You're gonna love it.

Just picked up the ZX in 23° from the FedEx depot, and tore into the box while standing in the parking lot. This club is stunningly good looking - photos don’t do it justice! Top line doesn’t seem that much different than my Forged Tec X irons, but I’ll have to do some direct comparisons when I get home!

Hopefully the weather holds up and I can get to the course tonight!

I have yet to find a shaft that fits well for me. I was going to try one of the Maltby hybrid shafts next.

Any experiences with shafts for a slower swing speed and for a higher ball flight someone can toss out - I may give it a try.

Barely made it through 9 holes after work tonight and the skies opened up! Good news though is that I made it through 9, and got some really good testing in with the ZX Utility.

Let me just say again - this golf club is gorgeous! Curvy in all the right places, and shiny enough to keep my inner Raven satisfied.

IMG_6859.jpeg

My 4i (23°) is paired up with a UST Mamiya Recoil 95 in F4 - conveniently the same shaft as I’ve got in the rest of my irons, which I love. So testing is going to be a real apples to apples affair.

First hole at my home course is a 250 yard par 4, from the blue tees. Of course I had to swing my new toy on the opening hole, and I crushed it. Like butter. Wow. 210 yards, right around the distance I was hoping to see with this club.

Next up is a 425 yard par 5. Great! 4i off the tee lands beautifully leaving me 210 to middle of the green. Another 4i it is! Whack! Nice penetrating shot, landing front green.

At this point I’m beginning to think that this bag battle is going to be pretty short lived!

Same results on hole 8 and hole 9; 210 yard shots off the tee. This club is just stupid easy to swing!

I took a couple comparison photos of the ZX Utility and my Cobra Forged Tec X 6i. The top lines look incredibly similar, however the ZX does have a little more beef down at the sole, and the blade looks to be a little longer to my eye. That said, they both look very, very similar at address.

ZX on the left, FTx on the right:
IMG_6858.jpeg

FTx on the left, ZX on the right:
IMG_6856.jpeg

The other biggest difference that I noticed was the sole. The ZX seems to have a much more square sole compared to the FTx. I didn’t notice a feel or playability difference, just a visual note.

Looking forward to getting out again once this rain quits.

Made it out again last night and got some more swings in to continue my bag battle. I decided to focus on the ZX Utility and my LTDx hybrid, since I think that’s where I see this most likely fitting.

Again my results with the ZX were amazing - easy swinging distance off the tee. And I really started to notice how good it was feeling, not only on well-struck hits, but also when I missed a little on the toe side. I am impressed. I saw similar distances last night to the evening previous, and found that I was consistently 7-10 yards further than the hybrid. In addition, ball flight was much straighter and I wasn’t fighting the huge pull-hook/draw that I was experiencing with the hybrid.

This is just a fun, confidence inspiring club!

I also previously mentioned the sole shape. I still see the ZX sole being much straighter across from heel to toe than the Forged Tec X, though I didn’t feel any major differences in turf interaction the few times I hit it from the fairway.

ZX on top, FTX on bottom:

IMG_6866.jpeg

Last edited:
Made it out again last night and got some more swings in to continue my bag battle. I decided to focus on the ZX Utility and my LTDx hybrid, since I think that’s where I see this most likely fitting.

Again my results with the ZX were amazing - easy swinging distance off the tee. And I really started to notice how good it was feeling, not only on well-struck hits, but also when I missed a little on the toe side. I am impressed. I saw similar distances last night to the evening previous, and found that I was consistently 7-10 yards further than the hybrid. In addition, ball flight was much straighter and I wasn’t fighting the huge pull-hook/draw that I was experiencing with the hybrid.

This is just a fun, confidence inspiring club!

I also previously mentioned the sole shape. I still see the ZX sole being much straighter across from heel to to than the Forged Tec X, though I didn’t feel any major differences in turf interaction the few times I hit it from the fairway.

ZX on top, FTX on bottom:

View attachment 9195496
Once in a while off Tee if I have room I will Tee up pretty high and let it rip with a Draw. These Utes will go.

Once in a while off Tee if I have room I will Tee up pretty high and let it rip with a Draw. These Utes will go.
I haven’t tried experimenting with different shots just yet, but I definitely agree with you that this utility iron feels HOT! I’m amazed at the performance I’m seeing so far.

I haven’t tried experimenting with different shots just yet, but I definitely agree with you that this utility iron feels HOT! I’m amazed at the performance I’m seeing so far.
And they feel so soft.

And they feel so soft.
Yes!

Just for fun, I tested out a few different balls to see how they felt with the ZX Utility - Srixon Z-Star, Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro V1, and a couple from a different bracket - Titleist TruFeel, and Callaway Warbird. I was very happy with the premium balls, but surprised by the others! I didn't experience much of a performance drop off, and feel/sound was still pretty decent.

After a couple more rounds, I ended up changing out the grip on my ZX. Went from the stock Golf Pride Tour Velvet to MCC +4 Midsize. I feel like the club is much more in control now which just improves what I was already impressed with.

I'm starting to feel like my bag battle is coming to a close. I left the hybrid at home for my last round since I feel so much more confident with this utility iron. My shots are much more consistent, and I'm not fighting the pull/draw hook that I was seeing from the hybrid. I'm still seeing around the same yardages as previously posted, and that's a good thing for me - means it will slot right in to my bag between the 6i and 7w.

I'll have my new Shot Scope soon and will get some actual numbers.

After a couple more rounds, I ended up changing out the grip on my ZX. Went from the stock Golf Pride Tour Velvet to MCC +4 Midsize. I feel like the club is much more in control now which just improves what I was already impressed with.

I'm starting to feel like my bag battle is coming to a close. I left the hybrid at home for my last round since I feel so much more confident with this utility iron. My shots are much more consistent, and I'm not fighting the pull/draw hook that I was seeing from the hybrid. I'm still seeing around the same yardages as previously posted, and that's a good thing for me - means it will slot right in to my bag between the 6i and 7w.

I'll have my new Shot Scope soon and will get some actual numbers.
That's exactly what I have on my Clubs. Just hit the U85 3 Iron today and it didn't feel right. Realized it has stock Standard grip. Right after ran over to Dicks to pick up Grip and they were out. 😞

New grip on the ZX. This is a very good looking golf club!

IMG_6886.jpeg

I have the 3U bent one degree weak to 21*. It has the 4-iron spot in my bag. I get a good trajectory from this stick regardless of lie, and plenty of distance. Very glad I went this route instead of the ZX5mkII 4-iron.

PSA:

Carls has the 4i on sale now for $79.99 with free shipping over $70. Wasn't really in the market for a utility, but couldn't pass up trying it out for the price.

I just picked one up last week, haven't had a chance to game it yet, but man this is a good looking iron!

Back