Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I can validate TM changed the way they measured and they are about 1/4 inch shorter than Titleist. It is explained on their web site but not in a very prominent way. I played the new P770's with SteelFiber shafts for several month. I liked everything with two exceptions: 1. I could not tell where slight misses were on the club face. 2. I could really feel that quarter inch shorter and it bugged me at address. I am not sure if performance was affected, but I just could not get use to it.
I am hoping my Srixon comes in at "standard" length, and I don't even know what "standard" means anymore. I guess 1/4 inch longer than the TM :)

Proud of these beauties! Session today with them was excellent. No jumpers (like some last irons I have played) and I like that a lot.
Those look great!!! You have a awesome bag setup!! Low scores for you this year my friend.

I can validate TM changed the way they measured and they are about 1/4 inch shorter than Titleist. It is explained on their web site but not in a very prominent way. I played the new P770's with SteelFiber shafts for several month. I liked everything with two exceptions: 1. I could not tell where slight misses were on the club face. 2. I could really feel that quarter inch shorter and it bugged me at address. I am not sure if performance was affected, but I just could not get use to it.
I am hoping my Srixon comes in at "standard" length, and I don't even know what "standard" means anymore. I guess 1/4 inch longer than the TM :)

There hasn’t been a standard length for a couple of decades. I’ve played a 6 iron at 37” since 1980 which means I ordered my ZX7 set 1/2” short.

Well all this talk of length has me a touch worried. I ordered +1/2. I think that is what CC fit me at — spec sheet is a little too detailed for my current golf tech mindset — and that is what my mp18 Mizunos were. All these brands measure differently so a length number is not always the same length. And I believe mixuno changed how they measure recently too. 🤪 I guess I’ll find out soon. I am heading to my course today to hit on their indoor Trackman setup. The course pro who ordered these for me plays +1/2 and has his new zx7 irons. I will compare and maybe hit his. I suppose if they are too long we can trim them down? Biggest impact should be a slight swing weight change?

Well all this talk of length has me a touch worried. I ordered +1/2. I think that is what CC fit me at — spec sheet is a little too detailed for my current golf tech mindset — and that is what my mp18 Mizunos were. All these brands measure differently so a length number is not always the same length. And I believe mixuno changed how they measure recently too. 🤪 I guess I’ll find out soon. I am heading to my course today to hit on their indoor Trackman setup. The course pro who ordered these for me plays +1/2 and has his new zx7 irons. I will compare and maybe hit his. I suppose if they are too long we can trim them down? Biggest impact should be a slight swing weight change?

All iron sets are at least 1/4” to 1/2” longer than they were when I started playing the game. I have better dispersion and hit it farther with my irons shorter than todays “stock” lengths but my arms are much longer than normal for someone of my height.

Hit the local course pro's ZX7 irons with PX 6.0 shafts. Grabbed his 4i, 7i, and 9i. This is now the 4th time I have hit these. I still love them and can't wait to get mine. I also always enjoy the PX 6.0. I like the weight and get nice numbers with those shafts. The feel is good. I just think they would wear me out over a day. IDK. Maybe I should give these a try someday.

On length, his irons are 1/4" longer than my current irons. He wasn't there, so I will call him this afternoon to find out his length. If his are +1/2", I will be fine. I hit his well. Fingers crossed.

BTW, played The Reserve at Moonlight Basin on Trackman. That course is 45 min away, and it is absolutely nuts! OMG, I loved it. I have to play there this year. If you have access to Trackman sim courses, definitely play this one! It requires a bunch of thinking and hitting the right lines.

Hit the local course pro's ZX7 irons with PX 6.0 shafts. Grabbed his 4i, 7i, and 9i. This is now the 4th time I have hit these. I still love them and can't wait to get mine. I also always enjoy the PX 6.0. I like the weight and get nice numbers with those shafts. The feel is good. I just think they would wear me out over a day. IDK. Maybe I should give these a try someday.

On length, his irons are 1/4" longer than my current irons. He wasn't there, so I will call him this afternoon to find out his length. If his are +1/2", I will be fine. I hit his well. Fingers crossed.

BTW, played The Reserve at Moonlight Basin on Trackman. That course is 45 min away, and it is absolutely nuts! OMG, I loved it. I have to play there this year. If you have access to Trackman sim courses, definitely play this one! It requires a bunch of thinking and hitting the right lines.
Any update when you will get yours?

I just got off the phone asking that question. He will check and get back to me. I am going to love these irons. :love:
Hopefully the wait won't be long.

Looks like I will be going with the Mitsubishi OT Taper in 100x. Placed the order today. The Recoils in the flex and weight I need will no longer be made, or so I’ve heard. Maybe the DART line down the road sometime. The Recoils Could be custom ordered at a BIG PREMIUM well outside what I’m comfortable with.

Was thinking of ordering the ZX7 in 7-pw to test out against my Ping i210s. I read on another forum that srixon measures thier clubs different and you would need to order them 1/4" short to match most companies normal standard. Just wondering if that is accurate?

I didn’t feel a huge difference between the zx7 and my callaway apex pro length wise... but to be honest, it was the last iron I hit so I wasn’t paying too much attention to that.

Called the shop to see if there was any update.... still no shipping confirm or estimate 😢

New arrival date on the ZX5s, this Thursday! Looking forward to getting them on the simulator this weekend to gather some numbers and compare performance against my F9s.

Today I am testing ZX7's with DGS 400 Tour Issues against ZX7's with Modus 120X (my shafts that I played in the 785s the last 2 seasons). Both shafts fit me in fittings, it's a matter of getting the spin right and seeing one feels best in these heads.

The last few days I have been practicing with my new ZX5's, I was a bit concerned that I had lost some distance... Also, my back has had some soreness the last week and I was thinking that I was just stiff and weak. Then I looked at the specs and compared them to my ex irons, the Callaway Mavriks. There is considerable difference in the lofts (7 iron is 31* vs 27*). On paper, the shaft length is longer with the Mav's also. I have an -7 yard difference now. I am fine with that. I also don't have those 15 yard jumper anymore. I can now swing smoother and not think that I have lost yards for no reason.

The Callaway Mavriks are excellent irons, but I believe I will play a lot better with these new ZX5 irons. AND they are a lot better looking. Precision.

The last few days I have been practicing with my new ZX5's, I was a bit concerned that I had lost some distance... Also, my back has had some soreness the last week and I was thinking that I was just stiff and weak. Then I looked at the specs and compared them to my ex irons, the Callaway Mavriks. There is considerable difference in the lofts (7 iron is 31* vs 27*). On paper, the shaft length is longer with the Mav's also. I have an -7 yard difference now. I am fine with that. I also don't have those 15 yard jumper anymore. I can now swing smoother and not think that I have lost yards for no reason.

The Callaway Mavriks are excellent irons, but I believe I will play a lot better with these new ZX5 irons. AND they are a lot better looking. Precision.
It won't take long to adjust to them and you will play some great golf once you do. Little bit of range time to dial them in is all.

Take Precision all day every day. I play i210s and lost distance from my CF16s and others I tested, but my dispersion and yardage is on point. You made the right choice. I won't say I don't ever get annoyed when a buddy says he is hitting 8 iron (I have 7) and he thinks he hits farther than me, lol. He has no idea his 8 iron is lofted 1* from my 7... Enjoy the accuracy, makes the game more fun!

20210302_150812.jpg

So the blackout re-shaft got done, took them out yesterday, and played... ehh. 206 5i into the par 3 2nd to 15', right side 6i on 3, good AW into 4 and 5, and then it got progressively worse. 😢

Body wasn't very happy and playing in complete slop probably didn't help, but all night and today I'm like 'Why would the new sexiness betray like that?! WHHYY??'

And then I realized that in my excitement to get them out on course, and doing and thinking about 811 other things yesterday, I never checked/bent the loft and lies!! All bad outcomes rationalized, hope restored!!

I'm gonna go do that now. Except on maybe the 5i and AW. They're obviously fine. :p

View attachment 8996101

So the blackout re-shaft got done, took them out yesterday, and played... ehh. 206 5i into the par 3 2nd to 15', right side 6i on 3, good AW into 4 and 5, and then it got progressively worse. 😢

Body wasn't very happy and playing in complete slop probably didn't help, but all night and today I'm like 'Why would the new sexiness betray like that?! WHHYY??'

And then I realized that in my excitement to get them out on course, and doing and thinking about 811 other things yesterday, I never checked/bent the loft and lies!! All bad outcomes rationalized, hope restored!!

I'm gonna go do that now. Except on maybe the 5i and AW. They're obviously fine. :p

Ya thats amazing, they look so good with the black shafts, I think il eventually have to make the switch.

Any chance you can post a top-down photo?

Ya thats amazing, they look so good with the black shafts, I think il eventually have to make the switch.

Any chance you can post a top-down photo?
20210302_185712.jpg

Like this?

Ordered my ZX5’s 2/21. Expected ship date is 4/16...ugh.. 5-AW, stock shaft, and grip
We just ordered a Combo set for one of the players on my team, and the ZX7’s in the combo set are back ordered to at least May.

We just ordered a Combo set for one of the players on my team, and the ZX7’s in the combo set are back ordered to at least May.
So glad I got my ZX7's ordered the day of preorder. I would be going nuts waiting on these irons.

Back