Starting the down swing with the butt of the club

Mr. Satchmo

urielsatchmoortegaMR.Jinx
Reaction score
Handicap
MR. Jinx
I've been struggling with my game a bit, and I've noticed that when I focus too much on staring with the hips, or forcing the hips on my down swing I block. Today I was messing around and I started just swung. I noticed that when I swung naturally without pondering my hips, I swung better, and then I started my downswing by pulling the butt of the grip down towards the ball. I immediately noticed that my hips unwound naturally, and that my swing looked more inside to inside.
Am I doing something right here?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

The hips always release unless you are an upper body swinger. People focus to much on the hips. If you make a solid turn and retain the flex in your legs and transfer you weight, the hips will release.

You can either swing the butt of the club or the head of club

The hips always release unless you are an upper body swinger. People focus to much on the hips. If you make a solid turn and retain the flex in your legs and transfer you weight, the hips will release.

You can either swing the butt of the club or the head of club

Thanks man, I think this may help me, I've mostly eliminated the over the top move I used to have and have found it easier to come from the inside.

The only problems I have seen so far are the over exaggeration of the hips, and occasionally I lose my spine angle on the back swing which results in striking inconsistencies but this helps thanks!

The only time I think about hips is when I start pulling the ball, then I make sure to use my hips to start the swing on the inside. Even then, it's a gentle bump - not a violent opening.

Sounds like your arms get behind your body on the way down. Like Tadashi said...just make a full shoulder turn and that will get the hips where the need to be and give your arms the room they need to get in front on the way down.

The only time I think about hips is when I start pulling the ball, then I make sure to use my hips to start the swing on the inside. Even then, it's a gentle bump - not a violent opening.

thanks man, yeah that was my previous problem, I used to pull and slice the ball a lot, from coming over the top. I've been told many times that in golf one has to use one extreme to fix another extreme lol, and I developed a nice swing but then the blocks came in from focusing too much on the hips

Sounds like your arms get behind your body on the way down. Like Tadashi said...just make a full shoulder turn and that will get the hips where the need to be and give your arms the room they need to get in front on the way down.

This exactly my main fault, getting my body ahead of the hands. My teacher has me work on feeling like my swing is one piece from back to down, focusing on the shoulder turn to start the swing. And, when my hands get behind, he told me to pull the butt toward the ball to start the downswing. Felt weird, but helped sync up the swing. I tend to hit high shots with huge distance loss when I focus on the hip rotation to start. Almost like it causes a reverse weight shift.

Sending the butt of your club towards the ball is a GREAT thing. It actually puts your elbow into your hip as well as gives you the angle your shaft should be when your hands are over the ball. If you throw the right knee at your left(R hander), this will make your hips turn. If you just throw the butt at the ball and dont release the hips, this will cause the hooks.

Sending the butt of your club towards the ball is a GREAT thing. It actually puts your elbow into your hip as well as gives you the angle your shaft should be when your hands are over the ball. If you throw the right knee at your left(R hander), this will make your hips turn. If you just throw the butt at the ball and dont release the hips, this will cause the hooks.

Thanks man, yeah I noticed that when I start the swing with the club my hops automatically rotate since I spent so much time working on them, I'm hoping this saves my game

The hips always release unless you are an upper body swinger...

I had never heard this term. I think I fall into this category. Whenever I consciously try to start my swing with my hips it's usually a weak slappy shot, and quite often a shank. But when I feel like I just uncoil my torso from against my right hip/thigh, I hit much better shots. Though admittedly, I think I lose some lag in my swing.

I look at the position of these golfers leading arms when their hips and knees are back to parallel with the target line. Their arm is still parallel to (or inside) the target line as well! I'm never close to that. My leading arm would be much further down towards the ball, and the more I tried to start the swing with the hips (thinking I could attain this position), the more my arm would get thrown outside, leading to all sorts of ugliness. I would love to be able to swing through this position!

556945_426316070793023_945359488_n.jpg

Last edited:
I was just working on this in my last lesson. Start the club down with the hands and arms, then pull it through with the big muscles (hips back and legs). Getting back into the right position is key. Legs bent, good shoulder hip turn separation, proper wrist hinge.

As soon as I started using the "pull the handle down" move my OTT disappeared and turned into an inside-out swing. Still working on getting the wrists hinged early on the way back though. When I don't I end up under plane and get stuck.

Starting the down swing with the butt of the club

I was just working on this in my last lesson. Start the club down with the hands and arms, then pull it through with the big muscles (hips back and legs). Getting back into the right position is key. Legs bent, good shoulder hip turn separation, proper wrist hinge.

As soon as I started using the "pull the handle down" move my OTT disappeared and turned into an inside-out swing. Still working on getting the wrists hinged early on the way back though. When I don't I end up under plane and get stuck.

Yeah me too that's the benefit of this swing thought, my club comes from he inside and I'm not throwing it out in front of me.
This also keeps the lag in the back of my mind, I've never had a problem with casting but this makes sure t doesn't develop

Back