My course runs about an 8-9 but I played one course a few months ago that no matter how hard I putted I was 3-4 ft short. It was stupid. I would have been better off chipping to the hole.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I also think that most people who think they're playing greens that are running at a 10 are really running at a 7.
The difference between a 7 and a 10 is pretty noticeable.

Stimp Readings??

I prefer around an 7 or 8 I think. I've played some over 10 and they are pretty fast compared to what I'm used to. 7-8 is enough that it breaks how you'd expect without being too quick. 10+ becomes hard to read/play for me.

I agree. I just think most people think they're playing fast greens because they've never played REALLY fast greens. Like when we played Lake Jovita and they were pretty fast, they were only like a 9.

I agree. I just think most people think they're playing fast greens because they've never played REALLY fast greens. Like when we played Lake Jovita and they were pretty fast, they were only like a 9.
Agreed.

They would honestly be really fun at a thp event. Go out and measure the greens, then see what THPers say they are.

I think anything over 10 is fast. I think mine are running between 9-10 right now during the summer, and roll around 10-11 during the cooler months.

^^^^^^^^^ THis

Stimp Readings??

I agree. I played a member guest this summer where the greens were measured at 12.5. They measured first thing in the morning when there was still dew on the ground, etc. The head pro estimated the greens to be at 13.5 late that afternoon after the hot sun had been out for hours. I've played on a lot of greens that people thought were fast and they were nothing compared to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I played a member guest this summer where the greens were measured at 12.5. They measured first thing in the morning when there was still dew on the ground, etc. The head pro estimated the greens to be at 13.5 late that afternoon after the hot sun had been out for hours. I've played on a lot of greens that people thought were fast and they were nothing compared to that.

My dad's courses have a dry erase board by the starters at each practice green with the hole location and stimp reading for the day. I don't think I've ever seen them say under 11, and only one time were they faster than my course I play at, which is essentially a muni course which might hit 10 when they get baked out, and is probably the fastest in the area(out of ones that have grass on the greens).

I have no idea what speed my home course runs at but I do know I just enjoy a smooth surface, no obvious grain. They generally keep our greens receptive and rolling true. I really don't like putting on greens that have visible small blades of grass of that makes any sense, they seem fluffy and slow to me. Again I have no real gauge of what speed I like I just know the conditions I prefer, I assume it leans toward the quicker end of the realistic amateur spectrum.

And FWIW, I agree that Olde Stonewalls practice green was absurdly fast but I thought that was so far from the way the course played. Beautiful course but I didn't think that practice green was remotely realistic

I generally prefer fast(ish) greens. My home course usually runs in the 10-11 range and I love them. Have played in a few tournaments at other courses where greens have been running in the 13-14 range and that was way over the top and wasn't fun. If you were above the hole you pretty much had a guaranteed 3 putt unless it went in. Was lame. Some of it depends on how much slope the greens have too.

I believe a few things about stimp readings.

1) Most people have no concept of what is fast according to stimp

2) Most course will lie about their stimp readings because "faster greens are better greens".
The more I read in this thread, the more I believe this to be accurate.

Funny this came up, I just noticed My home course has begun posting the reading on the sign near the 1st tee. The other day it was at 10, which I found to e comfortable and "normal" for that course. Honestly, I probably couldn't tell the difference between a 5 and a 12, but I guess it's good to know.

I like them to be fast enough that leaving yourself above the hole forces you to make a great putt in order not to 3 putt. That number varies depending on the slop of the greens.

But so many people have no clue. If it's fast to them it has to be an 11 or 12. If it's slow to them it has to be 7 or 8.

My course posts a number and it's usually around 10-10.5. I did notice that they were faster than I was used to when I first joined (coming from only public golf) three years ago.

Back