Stock Headcovers vs. Aftermarket Headcovers

KeepGolfSquiggy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My fascination with headcovers came from always trading or selling clubs and wanting to keep the original headcover in unused condition. Realizing the stock headcover would never be utilized, the world of aftermarket headcovers opened up for me. I am not a headcover collector, but I do have quite a few different ones from vulgar covers to ones I just like the color or pattern. What do you do with the stock headcover ??

Set it aside until I sell the club. Then away it goes with the club to the buyer.

I like to replace stock as it’s a style thing for me. The stock ones are saved until selling the club or trading it in.

I hate to waste, but I pitch them. I don't sell much online and the local shops for trade-ins have no interest in them.

I have a box in my workshop that accumulates until I sell or trade the club. All brand new.

I game them for the most part. I have few I will switch out for other covers but not a collector or anything

I use the stock Cobra covers for my FWs and hybrids. I've used a Parrot cover for my driver though it has now been given the year off in favor of the Cobra cover.

Use them, primarily.

I have a couple that get mixed in from time to time, though.

I use aftermarket covers all the time, the stock ones get tucked away for when I sell the club.

I use aftermarket covers, tuck the stock ones away until I get rid of the club. Call me paranoid, but I don't like advertising what's in my bag to everybody walking by if it happens to be unattended somewhere. Thieves gonna thieve, but at least it helps reduce the temptation.

I use aftermarket covers, tuck the stock ones away until I get rid of the club. Call me paranoid, but I don't like advertising what's in my bag to everybody walking by if it happens to be unattended somewhere. Thieves gonna thieve, but at least it helps reduce the temptation.
There is something to this for sure.

Interesting thought

As long as they aren't the valuable aftermarket variety, this works ;)

I exclusively use aftermarket headcovers. Buy from a few different places....I usually buy a couple of different sets a year to go with my bags. Sometimes i'll get custom made ones....I had some Wu-Tang headcovers that people liked. I also rocked "Reagan/Bush '84" for a full year which makes no sense because i'm a Canadian born in the 80's. But that was the point, i probably got 100 questions on those.

BTW, what's the deal with OEM headcovers all being tiny now? Is there a material shortage? I feel like every OEM headcover you need to pull down on them like the sword of excalibur to get them on the head. It's like you couldn't make this thing 5% bigger?

None of my D-7W came with covers. Ironically all my 12 Ironwoods did come with covers.

For my D-7W I purchased hand puppets for them.

Now just recently, due to a new craze at the high school level, I'm gaming South Park head covers for my D-7W in the form of cartoon tube socks. My Granddaughters idea. :banghead:

However, these South Park thingies actually make finding my other clubs (irons) easier since they are much smaller than the hand puppets, while offering the same protection.

That said, I see myself going back to my hand puppet covers pretty soon. ;)

Been getting more aftermarket headcovers lately and keeping the stock ones at home to reduce wear on them.

I have a putter headcover from Breakthrough Golf Technology. Several from special courses I’ve played as mementos. A couple from Stitch Golf. Have purchased several for my wife and friends from Seamus Golf.

Just received today a post Christmas gift delivery from Cayce golf. A headcover for my Cobra LTDx 3 wood and one for my wife’s XXIO driver.

7A10581B-C2ED-48A0-BACA-986C4B10C5A7.jpeg

Back