Stock Market & Retirement Planning

Currently, I am contributing 7% to my 401k where I get a 6% match. Also put another 6% of my monthly income into a Roth IRA. Roughly 50% of my monthly income goes towards my savings for a home and I have most of that invested a a few safer ETFs. I’m a big fan of making your money work

Wooooooow
Screenshot_20210610-141338_TD Ameritrade Mobile.jpg

Trying to figure out if I want to sell off some stocks and reinvest to 1 share of Tesla, or just buy up 10-12 shares of like carnival cruises.. I think a lot more potential for carnival to double up

Anyone make any good plays lately?

I'm contemplating selling my 7 shares of Sony, I make like 500 profit (entry at 17.xx) on it and I'm just not sure if holding for the super long term will be any more lucrative. Will look for a further dip from something like nip again

Anyone make any good plays lately?

I'm contemplating selling my 7 shares of Sony, I make like 500 profit (entry at 17.xx) on it and I'm just not sure if holding for the super long term will be any more lucrative. Will look for a further dip from something like nip again

how or why did you end up with just 7 shares of stock? just curious cuz it sounds like it cost you initially only about $125 which seems an odd amount to invest.:eek::eek::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

how or why did you end up with just 7 shares of stock? just curious cuz it sounds like it cost you initially only about $125 which seems an odd amount to invest.:eek::eek::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
It's what I had available at that time when paying back student loans, car, etc. I didn't put much into my personal accounts for investing unfortunately & I'm kicking myself now..

I still don't get to invest that much per quarter after all my expenses now.

I have a roll over ira with Vanguard, and the mutual fund I am invested in is VTSAX. Anybody else have this fund? Any thoughts on this fund?

I have a roll over ira with Vanguard, and the mutual fund I am invested in is VTSAX. Anybody else have this fund? Any thoughts on this fund?

I don’t have that fund but if there is a need in your portfolio for a total market index fund, this one is a good choice with an expense ratio of 0.04%.

How many years until you retire?
What is your objective - growth, income, preservation?
How much of your portfoiio is VTSAX?
Do you have an advisor?

So who's got an inside tip? I've got a spare $10K to invest. ;)

Not inside and Not financial advice- but SOFI will be a long-term winner. They just had ER and got beaten down due to a one-time write-off and some lingering Covid stuff not properly comprehended. The rest of the business is outstanding. The leadership is great. This is a great price to get into it because of the low downside.

Another good choice to just buy and hold is PLTR. Similar to above, this is a long-term hold with a lot of upside potential.

disclosure: I own both.

Not inside and Not financial advice- but SOFI will be a long-term winner. They just had ER and got beaten down due to a one-time write-off and some lingering Covid stuff not properly comprehended. The rest of the business is outstanding. The leadership is great. This is a great price to get into it because of the low downside.

Another good choice to just buy and hold is PLTR. Similar to above, this is a long-term hold with a lot of upside potential.

disclosure: I own both.

Appreciate the advice :thankyou:

I knew someone would put that up :facepalm:
Sorry - I just slipped in there, Kinda like the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Man in Ghostbusters.

Allow me to add my own tidbit:
1. When was the last time someone started a Railroad?
2. When you can't find Truck Drivers to move containers, what is the most effective way to move that product and material?

The Supply Chain issues we are experiencing will not last forever and ships will start coming to the US in droves, on both Coasts, how are we going to move product inwards?

Last edited:
Sorry - I just slipped in there, Kinda like the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Man in Ghostbusters.

2. When you can't find Truck Drivers to move containers, what is the most effective way to move that product and material?

The Supply Chain issues we are experiencing will not last forever and ships will start coming to the US in droves, on both Coasts, how are we going to move inwards?

Interesting observations. I read a few years ago that the median age of a long haul trucker was something like 56. In our industry, we are seeing more multimodal shipments - long distances by rail, then transloaded to trucks for local delivery. One thing to watch for here is self-driving vehicles. But adoption for segments such as hazardous materials transport will be slower for obvious reasons.

The Supply Chain issues we are experiencing will not last forever and ships will start coming to the US in droves, on both Coasts, how are we going to move product inwards?

So you're saying to invest in trucking companies & Railroads? :unsure:

So you're saying to invest in trucking companies & Railroads? :unsure:
Consider the Rails - They have a Duopoly
They are not cheap right now however - Schnitzel a little and learn how they react, buy the dips.
I starting buying $UNP at $75.
Love watching a UP train go by and scream "I'm an owner", but that's me.

My opion a long term Growth stock, again its an opinion.

New IPO Patrick Ryan recently went public with his new organization Ryan Specialty Group, a risk management compan. Who is Patrick Ryan? Was the founder of Ryan insurance years ago. He merged his company with another, created Aon(A Risk Management company) and continued to build that organization as a CEO, into a Fortune sub 300 company, and currently that stock trades for about $280. Not sure why, but he is building another company after his retirement.

I don’t have that fund but if there is a need in your portfolio for a total market index fund, this one is a good choice with an expense ratio of 0.04%.

How many years until you retire?
What is your objective - growth, income, preservation?
How much of your portfoiio is VTSAX?
Do you have an advisor?
I am retired now, and have been for the past nine years. I retired early at age 57 because I did very good in the stock market, and had a decent job. I am in preservation mode right now, just wanting to keep up with inflation. I have about 40% in the vtsax fund, the other 40% in money market and it has been doing quite like I want it to as far as growth. If the stock market tanked I wouldn't be left dry without money, which is always a important consideration to me.

I am retired now, and have been for the past nine years. I retired early at age 57 because I did very good in the stock market, and had a decent job. I am in preservation mode right now, just wanting to keep up with inflation. I have about 40% in the vtsax fund, the other 40% in money market and it has been doing quite like I want it to as far as growth. If the stock market tanked I wouldn't be left dry without money, which is always a important consideration to me.

What’s the other 20%?

I’m not a financial advisor but I would worry about that portfolio being too conservative to keep up with inflation. How much of your retirement income comes from this portfolio? My portfolio will generate about 25% of our retirement income needs and our advisor has me in a 70/30 equities/fixed income, with about two years of withdrawals in cash/Money market. The 70% isn’t speculative but it’s more aggressive than a total market index fund. Your mix has to work for you and part of working is allowing you to sleep at night. I’m also focused on growing faster than inflation. You may want to run your portfolio past a financial advisor. The initial conversation should be free. As an alternative, there are some good retirement simulators out there. Schwab, Fidelity and Price have them. Vanguard may have one.

What’s the other 20%?

I’m not a financial advisor but I would worry about that portfolio being too conservative to keep up with inflation. How much of your retirement income comes from this portfolio? My portfolio will generate about 25% of our retirement income needs and our advisor has me in a 70/30 equities/fixed income, with about two years of withdrawals in cash/Money market. The 70% isn’t speculative but it’s more aggressive than a total market index fund. Your mix has to work for you and part of working is allowing you to sleep at night. I’m also focused on growing faster than inflation. You may want to run your portfolio past a financial advisor. The initial conversation should be free. As an alternative, there are some good retirement simulators out there. Schwab, Fidelity and Price have them. Vanguard may have one.
oops, that's 60% in the money market

Back