Yeah that swing worked out, somehow it doesn't translate when a tee is involved. I'll have to keep looking at that to try and emulate ot
There is an exercise that the TPI instructor at my course taught me last year that really helps.

Take your address position with good proper posture without a club in your hand. Put your hands on your hips, then slowly roll or thrust your hips back and forth, like a slow hump, without leaving that set up position with the rest of your body. This builds dexterity and increases range of motion in your hips. It is also the same motion that you use to clear your hips as you come through the ball, so this exercise helps train your hips to execute that move more fluidly.

Just make sure you do it in private, because it looks ridiculous to others that might be watching haha

Bonus points for using "winky dink"

I'll be honest, I giggled like a 4 year old reading that line, but he makes a good point when I think about it

There is an exercise that the TPI instructor at my course taught me last year that really helps.

Take your address position with good proper posture without a club in your hand. Put your hands on your hips, then slowly roll or thrust your hips back and forth, like a slow hump, without leaving that set up position with the rest of your body. This builds dexterity and increases range of motion in your hips. It is also the same motion that you use to clear your hips as you come through the ball, so this exercise helps train your hips to execute that move more fluidly.

Just make sure you do it in private, because it looks ridiculous to others that might be watching haha

So I should do it in the office showing grctampa what I learned? Got it. But yeah that's something I'll try. All the help is very appreciated guys. The driver is the one thing I think that's holding me back from breaking into the 80's on a consistent basis

So I should do it in the office showing grctampa what I learned? Got it. But yeah that's something I'll try. All the help is very appreciated guys. The driver is the one thing I think that's holding me back from breaking into the 80's on a consistent basis
Haha, exactly.

Ive fought that same miss my whole life so I know where you are coming from. Also only happens with the driver for me so what I explained was what the TPI guy suggested as a fix for me.

Haha, exactly.

Ive fought that same miss my whole life so I know where you are coming from. Also only happens with the driver for me so what I explained was what the TPI guy suggested as a fix for me.

Awesome! Thanks bud!!

Me to, hopefully next years club clash I'll be within 40 yards of ya!
I have no doubt that you ll be making the golf ball scream soon. The force is strong with you

I don't know about this hip thrust. His release looks like this except the club is dead right. The hips are pointed right as is the club face. Couple this with the shortened take away and you get a push slice. He is n't stuck he is just releasing at the wrong point which is due to being out in front of the ball.

I like were your head is at but its just a tad bit off.
See where your hips and belt buckle are pointed here? This is what doesnt happen when you push slice. During your push slices, the hips and belt will get "stuck" and not open up like they do here. The feeling of opening them properly is kind of like thrusting your winky dink at your target while still keeping your head behind the ball. I know this was a great swing for you so this is an impact position that you want to emulate.
2b308e335bcdd2e941b24c439154e616.jpg

JB says it all much better than I can. I too had very similar problems, and it isn't something that will be fixed with range sessions. I would definitely get in front of the eyes of a pro to get you going in the right direction.

Agree with this completely. Lessons will identify the issue and the solution. Sorting it out on the range on your own will be time consuming and unlikely. Been there, done that.

I don't know about this hip thrust. His release looks like this except the club is dead right. The hips are pointed right as is the club face. Couple this with the shortened take away and you get a push slice. He is n't stuck he is just releasing at the wrong point which is due to being out in front of the ball.

Well when that picture was taken the ball went dead straight, so was that just a lucky mess up and it still released early with the short take away?

i would also suggest the swish drill. flip the club around so you are holding it just under the head instead of the grip, and swing it to make the biggest swish. you must release the club and extend through impact in order to get a good swish; you can't saw it off. hit a few balls with that same feeling and try not to care where it goes.

I'll try that as wel with what panda has mentioned at the range Friday, and schedule a lesson or 2

I'm a little late to the conversation, but in the couple of rounds we played together, it looked like you were trying to generate power by pulling the club through the impact zone. When you did this, you pulled your arms in toward your body causing the OTT move.

I didnt mean to suggest that he doesnt thrust properly, just that he isnt consistent with it at all. I dont think I saw the same swing twice when I was watching and it looked like he had a good bit of stiffness in his hips, which I figured had a lot to do with the layoff from his shoulder injury. IMO, he is too athletic to be that stiff. I thought that the exercise would loosen up his center of gravity and allow him to control the club better (it absolutely did for me) and implement any changes that you or whomever he goes to wants to implement.

I dont mean to be argumentative. Just thought Id give further insight into where I was going there. Thoughts?

Well when that picture was taken the ball went dead straight, so was that just a lucky mess up and it still released early with the short take away?

My point isn't that the picture is incorrect because it is all types of good. My pint was about your miss. It looks like the pic but headed dead right. I hesitate to call it an early release but more of a miss times impact.

My point isn't that the picture is incorrect because it is all types of good. My pint was about your miss. It looks like the pic but headed dead right. I hesitate to call it an early release but more of a miss times impact.

Ohhhhh ok, makes sense now, sorry was a little confused after a long day of work. So I'm impacting the ball to early because I'm leading to much with my hands and in front of the ball

I didnt mean to suggest that he doesnt thrust properly, just that he isnt consistent with it at all. I dont think I saw the same swing twice when I was watching and it looked like he had a good bit of stiffness in his hips, which I figured had a lot to do with the layoff from his shoulder injury. IMO, he is too athletic to be that stiff. I thought that the exercise would loosen up his center of gravity and allow him to control the club better (it absolutely did for me) and implement any changes that you or whomever he goes to wants to implement.

I dont mean to be argumentative. Just thought Id give further insight into where I was going there. Thoughts?

If I gave you the impression it bothered me I am sorry. I thought my final sentence made that clear. I love the input but want to make sure what I conveyed today stays with whom ever requested. We are good homie!!!

If I gave you the impression it bothered me I am sorry. I thought my final sentence made that clear. I love the input but want to make sure what I conveyed today stays with whom ever requested. We are good homie!!!
Thanks man! I didnt get that impression from you at all and that sentence was certainly clear. I get a little nervous that my discussion style can be a little aggressive or argumentative. Just want to make sure thats not what Im doing. I just really enjoy the discussions and posing questions and learning as much as I possibly can, but dont want to be a pest.

Im ready to tee it up with you already ?

Thanks man! I didnt get that impression from you at all and that sentence was certainly clear. I get a little nervous that my discussion style can be a little aggressive or argumentative. Just want to make sure thats not what Im doing. I just really enjoy the discussions and posing questions and learning as much as I possibly can, but dont want to be a pest.

Im ready to tee it up with you already

I wanna join when that happens! Talk about an incredible learning opportunity

Back