Straight Razor Shaving

Been using a straight blade for about 2 years now. Use Shark Super Stainless half blades in a Dovo Blue. My wife actually got me started using rose water for astringent lately. I laughed at first but it works like a charm!

Buying a straight razor is gonna be my next purchase I will go full on though with a stone and strop setup

There is nothing wrong with my merkur or ikon I like them both very much. The ikon I have an OC and closed comb for it, just has a closed comb. I need to grab another travel brush though or order a shorter bristled brush from whipped dog

Moved to a safety razor last Winter, as the dry desert air plus multiple blades was simply laying waste to my skin. Changing from shave gel to soap & brush helped a lot, as well as going to a safety razor. Upgraded to a Merkur a few months ago. Occasionally ponder a straight razor, but I think so long as shaving is a daily proposition for me (eight more years!) I'll stick to a safety razor. I still get a better shave than I ever did from a conventional razor.

Moved to a safety razor last Winter, as the dry desert air plus multiple blades was simply laying waste to my skin. Changing from shave gel to soap & brush helped a lot, as well as going to a safety razor. Upgraded to a Merkur a few months ago. Occasionally ponder a straight razor, but I think so long as shaving is a daily proposition for me (eight more years!) I'll stick to a safety razor. I still get a better shave than I ever did from a conventional razor.

Same here. I used my Merkur Futur on level 6 to knock down 1/4" stubble in one pass, today. I took a bit of skin occasionally, but nothing the alum block didn't fix. :D
Normally I use it on a 1 or 2.

I just picked up a straight razor, have not used one before. Looking forward to seeing how it performs, the quality seems quite good. Opted for the higher end as I wanted to make sure I get the best shave. Is there any tips you guys have, Ie) hold the razor at a certain angle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a safety razor a couple months ago but stopped using it after a month or so. If I don't shave every day with it, it pulls like crazy.

Is that normal for anyone else? I'm not talking about how quick your facial hair grows but the pulling. What could I be doing wrong?

Try these.

I have coarse facial hair and these last several shavings before I have to switch. The old blade can still slice the bejeebers out of you if you're not careful. DAMHIKT.

Try these.

I have coarse facial hair and these last several shavings before I have to switch. The old blade can still slice the bejeebers out of you if you're not careful. DAMHIKT.
I bought a set once and with my normal routine always ended up with a few nicks. I stick with BICs these days.

I always make sure I have a styptic pencil on hand.

Indeed. Here's my little shaving corner.

2cb059550d6d2b61f0ff5c5d1a3b6c38.jpg

I save with an Edwin Jagger DE safety razor and use feather blades. By far better for my skin and cheaper than the Mach3 I had been using for years.

Glad to see so many others that enjoy a good de shave. Opened up a new pack of feather blades this morning. Ninja sharp

If you want Ninja sharp, try some KAI de blades. scary sharp, though I found they don't glide as smooth as the feathers, they might perform better in a different shaver though.

My dad found me an antique Gillette safety razor that was new at an estate sale. It even had a starter pack of old Gillette blades in it. It works perfect, and the blade closeness is adjustable. I use Derby blades. I have a nice Parker brush and matching mug, but any suggestions on a good soap? I just have Van Der Hagen now, it's all the grocery store sells here.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

My dad found me an antique Gillette safety razor that was new at an estate sale. It even had a starter pack of old Gillette blades in it. It works perfect, and the blade closeness is adjustable. I use Derby blades. I have a nice Parker brush and matching mug, but any suggestions on a good soap? I just have Van Der Hagen now, it's all the grocery store sells here.

I love everything I've used from taylor of old bond street. I use both their soaps and creams. I'm currently working my way through a puck of their sandalwood.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015...sandalwood&dpPl=1&dpID=51C0hJsKNvL&ref=plSrch

As mentioned, Taylor Of Old Bond Street is excellent stuff. I have also enjoyed Proraso (have used red & green) Red is sandalwood, green is eucalyptus and menthol - great for summer!

If you want Ninja sharp, try some KAI de blades. scary sharp, though I found they don't glide as smooth as the feathers, they might perform better in a different shaver though.

I had the same experience with KAI, very hard to find and very expensive. Scary sharp but didnt glide well across my face. I went back to feathers and have also been enjoying some persona blue (made in usa and for medical prep only)

I swapped to using shaving soap applied with a brush and had planned on swapping to a safety razor once I ran out of Mach 3 cartridges, but just swapping to the brush/soap from regular shaving cream made such a tremendous difference that I may not swap to a safety razor. I don't know if it can get any better. I use green Proraso and love it.

I swapped to using shaving soap applied with a brush and had planned on swapping to a safety razor once I ran out of Mach 3 cartridges, but just swapping to the brush/soap from regular shaving cream made such a tremendous difference that I may not swap to a safety razor. I don't know if it can get any better. I use green Proraso and love it.

The safety razor may not shave any better than the Mach 3, but it does it a whole lot cheaper.

The safety razor may not shave any better than the Mach 3, but it does it a whole lot cheaper.

When I first switched I didn't think it was much better then I learned how to use it properly to get a better shave for a fraction of the cost.

The only downside is travel if your not checking bags. I almost always get stopped at security when my razor is in my bag, and there is no way I put my expensive handle in checked.

Anyone use cremo cream? I don't use it all the time, but if I'm in a rush and don't want to get a good lather on the brush, it's great. Doesn't lather up much with water, but it's super slick. Plus, they will reimburse the purchase price of your first tube.

I get the Mach 3 blades from amazon for just over $1 each when they go on sale. I know safety razor blades are cheaper, but a good handle is at least $30.

Your right a good handle is $30 to much much higher and honestly I notice zero difference between my cheap merkur and my ikon.

Both do a fantastic job and are miles apart on price.

So, I've been using a safety razor since Christmas and I can't get as close a shave with it as I do a Mach III. What am I doing wrong?

So, I've been using a safety razor since Christmas and I can't get as close a shave with it as I do a Mach III. What am I doing wrong?
You'll need to do two passes. First one trims it down, second makes it baby smooth. Super light pressure and work up to going against the grain.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

You'll need to do two passes. First one trims it down, second makes it baby smooth. Super light pressure and work up to going against the grain.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I use three. With the grain, sideways and against the grain. Not always as close, but doesn't tear up my face either.

What blades are you using and what razor?

Are you using a brush and shave soap, gel, or cream?

The blade makes a difference in the shave also the type of head your using open comb vs full bar. My OC shaves much closer than my full bar/closed comb does and they are from the same manufacturer and I just swap combs out on the same handle

Back