Straight Razor Shaving

bara7uja.jpg

Good start paired with the 34c HD?

I think I'm going to bite the bullet tonight, guess I'll go with the Merkur 34c HD as FF recommended. Care to recommend a cream and brush?

Im a cream snob, so Im not sure I can help, but its a fun thing to search and find certain things.

Similar actually. I got mine from Nordstroms at their mens sale. They have a number of really solid brands.

Their brands are top notch from what I've seen.

That looks good wake with a cream you'll need to use a bowl or mug to get a good lather.

I use a soap at the moment colonel conks have been good to me in the past.

That looks good wake with a cream you'll need to use a bowl or mug to get a good lather.

I use a soap at the moment colonel conks have been good to me in the past.

You can start with the palm of your hand if you want until you get the hang of it though. Biggest issue most new to it do, is not add enough water.

Appreciate the info JB

I've wanted to give the creams a run for awhile but got a stash of soaps I've picked up along the way.

Wake,
You are fortunate to live in a town with a ton of options for buying some top notch stuff.
Nordstrom
Saks
Neiman Marcus
Art of Shaving
Several independent places
Even the men's section of Sephora has some.

bara7uja.jpg

Good start paired with the 34c HD?

I have an Omega Badger brush and I LOVE it. I bought a cheaper one on Amazon and there's no comparison. Very nice quality.

I haven't used that brand of cream before. I have 3 different Taylor of Old Bond Street creams now and I really like them. They're about $15 for a 5.3 oz bowl and that will last you several months. Sandalwood is a very classic scent. St. James is very basic and just kind of leaves you with a light (pleasant) soap smell. Jermyn Street is also a light scent with slightly more of a cologne element. None of them are overpowering at all.

Wake,
You are fortunate to live in a town with a ton of options for buying some top notch stuff.
Nordstrom
Saks
Neiman Marcus
Art of Shaving

NO DOUBT! I literally don't have a single place where I can walk in and check stuff out, smell different things, etc. So I'm stuck with recommendations and reading reviews online. That might explain why I've acquired 5 different creams in about 2 months.

I have an Omega Badger brush and I LOVE it. I bought a cheaper one on Amazon and there's no comparison. Very nice quality.

I haven't used that brand of cream before. I have 3 different Taylor of Old Bond Street creams now and I really like them. They're about $15 for a 5.3 oz bowl and that will last you several months. Sandalwood is a very classic scent. St. James is very basic and just kind of leaves you with a light (pleasant) soap smell. Jermyn Street is also a light scent with slightly more of a cologne element. None of them are overpowering at all.

Does Taylor's still have their avocado oil cream and coconut oil cream?

Does Taylor's still have their avocado oil cream and coconut oil cream?

Yes, I'm pretty sure. I've seen both of those listed, but haven't tried either (which is not to say I haven't been curious, especially about the coconut). So far, the Truefitt & Hill is superior to TOBS in terms of the amount of cushion it gives, but it's almost double the price. I thought TOBS was really expensive until I tried it, but it's kind of like a gateway drug. Once I tried that, I wanted to check out the more expensive stuff ;) T&F had incredible reviews, so I decided to give it a shot. After I burn through more of the stuff I've already acquired, my next purchase is going to be the West Indian Limes for sure. I'm enjoying the Grafton right now and I think the lime will be an awesome summer scent for some reason. I think TOBS at $15/bowl is probably a good place for a newbie (which I still am myself) to start and its a solid product. I know there are some other creams in that same price range that a lot of people like, but I haven't personally used them. YET!

Yes, I'm pretty sure. I've seen both of those listed, but haven't tried either (which is not to say I haven't been curious, especially about the coconut). So far, the Truefitt & Hill is superior to TOBS in terms of the amount of cushion it gives, but it's almost double the price. I thought TOBS was really expensive until I tried it, but it's kind of like a gateway drug. Once I tried that, I wanted to check out the more expensive stuff ;) T&F had incredible reviews, so I decided to give it a shot. After I burn through more of the stuff I've already acquired, my next purchase is going to be the West Indian Limes for sure. I'm enjoying the Grafton right now and I think the lime will be an awesome summer scent for some reason. I think TOBS at $15/bowl is probably a good place for a newbie (which I still am myself) to start and its a solid product. I know there are some other creams in that same price range that a lot of people like, but I haven't personally used them. YET!

Sadly it does not smell like coconut. In fact it smells like nothing really. My favorite is still T&H or Art of Shaving but quickly starting to like the Billy Jealousy stuff.

I got a safety razor a couple months ago but stopped using it after a month or so. If I don't shave every day with it, it pulls like crazy.

Is that normal for anyone else? I'm not talking about how quick your facial hair grows but the pulling. What could I be doing wrong?

I got a safety razor a couple months ago but stopped using it after a month or so. If I don't shave every day with it, it pulls like crazy.

Is that normal for anyone else? I'm not talking about how quick your facial hair grows but the pulling. What could I be doing wrong?

It can be. FWIW, I dont use one either. I do however still use the creams and other products.

What blade are you using? Which ones have you tried?

I do not shave everyday and the only blades i've noticed this with are my murker blades.

Fwiw your shave angle could be way off too try and take the cream off your face with the bar and run the bar width across your face

I don't know, I'd guess it's probably more related to the blade you're using than the razor itself. So far, for me, there is no comparison between the safety razor and the Quattro I was using in terms of pulling, razor burn, etc. I got a sample pack of DE blades and some are MUCH better than others for sure. You just have to experiment. What kind of razor did you get? I guess if it was a really cheap safety razor, the design could be the issue.

It can be. FWIW, I dont use one either. I do however still use the creams and other products.

I have used the oil and cream with my electric and it works quite a bit better than just the electric alone.

I bought the cheapest starter kit from Art of Shaving just to get my feet wet with everything. The brush isn't the greatest but I'd be killed if I spent any serious money on a good brush right now.

I have used the oil and cream with my electric and it works quite a bit better than just the electric alone.

I bought the cheapest starter kit from Art of Shaving just to get my feet wet with everything. The brush isn't the greatest but I'd be killed if I spent any serious money on a good brush right now.

Thats the travel brush and I think you will be happy with it. Its pretty solid. No reason to change anything right now.

Dude you don't need $125 brush. It's the blade in your razor swap the blade for another brand and give it ago again.

It may take several blade swaps to find one that works for your hair.

Dude you don't need $125 brush. It's the blade in your razor swap the blade for another brand and give it ago again.

They are Merkur blades. I had to dig them out to make sure

Wake,
Nordstrom
Saks
Neiman Marcus
Art of Shaving

That's what I wanted to do, but I was trying to keep costs down in case I end up hating it. If it ends up working I will go that route for the perfect cream or soap.

That's what I wanted to do, but I was trying to keep costs down in case I end up hating it. If it ends up working I will go that route for the perfect cream or soap.

Go to Art of Shaving store. Pick up the small travel kit for $25 or $30. It comes with small thing of cream, pre shave oil and brush. Great starter kit.

They are Merkur blades. I had to dig them out to make sure

Ditchem especially if your beard hair is course/tough.

I've tried merkur in two different razors and neither time have I liked them.

I have had good luck with blades from Kroger(grocery store). Got some others but can't remember the brands.

Go to Art of Shaving store. Pick up the small travel kit for $25 or $30. It comes with small thing of cream, pre shave oil and brush. Great starter kit.

I believe it also comes with a $25 coupon for a full kit. Mine did at least

I totally agree with this. You bought good stuff so it's just a matter of finding the right blade for you. Fortunately that's the cheapest part.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back