Stuttering Singer on AGT lied about war injury

RonInThornton

LEFTIES UNITE!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
28 GHIN
Interesting, because during the broadcast, they showed pictures of him in his military gear and even a picture from his time there.

Interesting, because during the broadcast, they showed pictures of him in his military gear and even a picture from his time there.

The article says he did serve in the national guard and was deployed. They just cant find any record of any kind of combat injury.

He was in the National Guard, he was in Afghanistan for a month, but he was a supply sergeant, no combat duty. Seems he also lied about the length of his service claiming 14 years when he was actually in for 9.

I have pictures of me in uniform and holding a weapon in a desert environment, too. It was Phoenix, and I was so far removed from combat it wasn't funny. Pictures mean nothing unless verified by like an AP photog or something, IMO.

PS if this pans out as a true 'outing' and he's trying to get by on sentiment, he's one of the biggest POS's alive....next to his wife who obviously knows what he is doing and going along for the ride. He's also treading on some fine lines on Federal law pertaining to stolen valor....

woah...if that's all true, what a turd.

we enjoy this show, and you can't take away the fact that he was actually a good singer...but all of these "sob stories" and this "F-Yeah America" BS that they throw into AGT is awful....but makes for good TV (and NBC obviously knows this). people sometimes forget to look past that and into the real talent.

throw Cookie on there with his golf swing...sure it's amazing that he can even hit a golf ball with his swing...but it's not a $1 million act.
but give Cookie a back story about being wounded in combat and how his parents don't support his golf swing and his goldfish died last week, and then play America the Beautiful in the background....boom = Vegas. (lol, all in good fun Cookie!)

we enjoy this show, and you can't take away the fact that he was actually a good singer...but all of these "sob stories" and this "F-Yeah America" BS that they throw into AGT is awful....but makes for good TV (and NBC obviously knows this). people sometimes forget to look past that and into the real talent.

throw Cookie on there with his golf swing...sure it's amazing that he can even hit a golf ball with his swing...but it's not a $1 million act.
but give Cookie a back story about being wounded in combat and how his parents don't support his golf swing and his goldfish died last week, and then play America the Beautiful in the background....boom = Vegas. (lol, all in good fun Cookie!)

Only if cookie wears "the blouse"

Uh excuse me sir I think this belongs in the trash talk thread. . .lol. . .JK

Yeah this is ridiculous that people can lie about their combat injury on public television, as a guy who has family members and friends who have been overseas numerous times, I find this offensive!

Uh excuse me sir I think this belongs in the trash talk thread. . .lol. . .JK

Yeah this is ridiculous that people can lie about their combat injury on public television, as a guy who has family members and friends who have been overseas numerous times, I find this offensive!

lol, right...but it's not trash talk if he's your own teammate! it's just good fun. we love Cookie...crazy swing and all!

lol, right...but it's not trash talk if he's your own teammate! it's just good fun. we love Cookie...crazy swing and all!

Yeah I know lol! The crazy cool swing define him. . .may the best team win

Now on topic: It bothers me when people who are deployed overseas and see no action at all, just some time on the rear come home and say oh you don't know what I saw. . .my brother in law did three tours in iraq and he actually saw some nasty combat, I stand up for our troops and I hate it when people lie about being injured when they weren't' because HONEST (<-IMHO) servicemen and servicewomen gave their lives for our country!

Saw this on MSN this evening.

http://tv.msn.com/reality-tv/singing-vet-gave-americas-got-talent-wrong-photo-by-mistake/story/

Singing Vet on 'AGT' Caught Using Fake Photo

The 'America's Got Talent' contestant submitted a photo of another soldier

By Tim Kenneally
TheWrap

The evidence that "America's Got Talent" contestant Timothy Poe failed to tell the truth about his military service continues to mount. TMZ reports, a photo of a soldier shown during Poe's audition is not Poe at all, but rather a different soldier altogether. Staff Sgt. Norman Bone -- the man who's actually pictured in the photo -- contacted the website to set the record straight. And he's not happy about the case of mistaken identity.

"First thing that came to my mind was 'Why would this lying son of a b---- do this?'" Bone, who serves in El Paso, Texas, told TMZ. "I'm absolutely furious. Been seeing red all day."

The photo has been posted on the Department of Defense's website, bearing the caption, "U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Norman Bone directs movement as his patrol turns around on a narrow path in the mountains of Parwan province in Afghanistan on Oct. 25, 2006." The caption goes on to identify Bone as "a patrol leader for the 561st Military Police Company, Fort Campbell, Ky., attached to 10th Mountain Division."

A spokesman for FremantleMedia, "America's Got Talent's" production company, apologized for the error in a statement provided to TheWrap, noting that the photo "was supplied to us by Tim and used on the show in good faith. It has now been removed and will not be used again."

The latest revelation adds further fuel to speculation that Poe is embellishing his military record.

During his audition, Poe claimed that he sustained brain damage that left him with a speech impediment from a grenade blast while serving. However, a spokesman for the Minnesota National Guard refuted Poe's claim, saying that, while Poe did serve his country overseas, there is no record of the injury he described on the show.

"His military records indicate that he served with the Minnesota National Guard in Kosovo from Oct. 10, 2007 until July 15, 2008, and was deployed to Afghanistan from July 28, 2009 to Aug. 30, 2009," Minnesota National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Kevin Olson said in a statement. "Sgt. Poe's official military records do not indicate that he was injured by a grenade in combat while serving in Afghanistan in 2009, as he reports. The Minnesota National Guard can also confirm that he was not awarded the Purple Heart Medal for wounds sustained in combat."

Poe has maintained that his story is true.

Saw this on MSN this evening.

http://tv.msn.com/reality-tv/singing-vet-gave-americas-got-talent-wrong-photo-by-mistake/story/

Singing Vet on 'AGT' Caught Using Fake Photo

The 'America's Got Talent' contestant submitted a photo of another soldier

By Tim Kenneally
TheWrap

The evidence that "America's Got Talent" contestant Timothy Poe failed to tell the truth about his military service continues to mount. TMZ reports, a photo of a soldier shown during Poe's audition is not Poe at all, but rather a different soldier altogether. Staff Sgt. Norman Bone -- the man who's actually pictured in the photo -- contacted the website to set the record straight. And he's not happy about the case of mistaken identity.

"First thing that came to my mind was 'Why would this lying son of a b---- do this?'" Bone, who serves in El Paso, Texas, told TMZ. "I'm absolutely furious. Been seeing red all day."

The photo has been posted on the Department of Defense's website, bearing the caption, "U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Norman Bone directs movement as his patrol turns around on a narrow path in the mountains of Parwan province in Afghanistan on Oct. 25, 2006." The caption goes on to identify Bone as "a patrol leader for the 561st Military Police Company, Fort Campbell, Ky., attached to 10th Mountain Division."

A spokesman for FremantleMedia, "America's Got Talent's" production company, apologized for the error in a statement provided to TheWrap, noting that the photo "was supplied to us by Tim and used on the show in good faith. It has now been removed and will not be used again."

The latest revelation adds further fuel to speculation that Poe is embellishing his military record.

During his audition, Poe claimed that he sustained brain damage that left him with a speech impediment from a grenade blast while serving. However, a spokesman for the Minnesota National Guard refuted Poe's claim, saying that, while Poe did serve his country overseas, there is no record of the injury he described on the show.

"His military records indicate that he served with the Minnesota National Guard in Kosovo from Oct. 10, 2007 until July 15, 2008, and was deployed to Afghanistan from July 28, 2009 to Aug. 30, 2009," Minnesota National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Kevin Olson said in a statement. "Sgt. Poe's official military records do not indicate that he was injured by a grenade in combat while serving in Afghanistan in 2009, as he reports. The Minnesota National Guard can also confirm that he was not awarded the Purple Heart Medal for wounds sustained in combat."

Poe has maintained that his story is true.

haha i saw that on the local news since they live right down the highway.

This guy is a disgrace It's not right in anyway to do this I hope he gets in trouble.

Back