SuperStroke WristLock Putter Grip - THP Review Thread

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
I have one of these coming to me in the next day or two, but I wanted to get a thread up for you all.

SuperStroke grips gained massive popularity in the past 5 years or so. They are everywhere and very noticeable. This one is a different take on the putter grip and it's called the WristLock Putter Grip. Here is what SuperStroke says about their latest addition....

The WristLock is USGA® approved and engineered to “lock” in the upper wrist to prevent any unwanted motion leads to greater consistency in starting the ball on-line and overall distance control. Patented No Taper Technology® creates even grip pressure for a more consistent stroke. Parallel design has uniform lower hand profile to minimize grip pressure and maintain putter head path for a more consistent stroke.

Works for both right handed and left handed golfers as well as most putting styles such as traditional, left hand low, claw, etc. Based on golfers set-up and putting style that involve significant shaft lean or aggressive forward press, minor loft adjustment may be required to ensure the most efficient ball roll.

Designed to accept all SuperStroke “Tech-Port” accessories including the CounterCore weight system to engage the larger muscles for a more stable and repeatable putting stroke. Utilizing such muscles helps to reduce putter face angle rotation caused by wrist manipulation while improving putting stroke path for greater consistency.

WristLock sells for $29.99

Wristlock-Web-1000x1000-Green-P-520x520.jpg

Wristlock-Web-1000x1000-Green-Q-520x520.jpg

1200x1200-New.jpg

• Staff
Instantly I have a few questions that need to be answered. One being if I need or should play the putter a bit longer than normal to achieve to the overall goal of this grip. I'm guessing there will need to be some sort of forward press with this setup as well, which is OK for me as I give a slight one anyway.

Instantly I have a few questions that need to be answered. One being if I need or should play the putter a bit longer than normal to achieve to the overall goal of this grip. I'm guessing there will need to be some sort of forward press with this setup as well, which is OK for me as I give a slight one anyway.
I'm not sure about the longer putter part but this is fantastic for an idea. I think it may reduce some forward press in my stroke that seems to creep in when I try to stabilize the shaft against my wrist. I kind of love this idea for left hand low players.

• Staff
I'm not sure about the longer putter part but this is fantastic for an idea. I think it may reduce some forward press in my stroke that seems to creep in when I try to stabilize the shaft against my wrist. I kind of love this idea for left hand low players.

I actually like it in theory for left hand low players too. I don't grip the club that way anymore though, so I doubt I'll go that route. Unless two show up haha

I was looking at these the other day on their site and trying to figure out how they were supposed to be installed. There product description gave no insight but now I see from the pictures in the OP that the "bump" goes under the top wrist. So I guess if you are RH and put with a left hand low grip it would be installed like a LH with a conventional grip would install it.

Good point about the putter length. It appears maybe that an extra 1/2 to one inch is needed to accomodate the lead hand being further down on the grip if you wanted to maintain your exact current playing length.

i like the idea of the wrist lock, im also wondering about length of grip and or putter?

Count me intrigued, but unlikely to use. Looking forward to the review!

• Staff
This grip has been installed and is ready to get some on course action tomorrow. I just got done rolling about 30-35 putts with it and have some quick basic thoughts.

1. I instaled it on a 34" putter, which is slightly longer than I normally use and it feels fine. I thought about going on a 35 and I could see where that could be helpful too, but so far so good.

2. To really get that wrist lock feeling, I feel like I have to forward press the heck out of the putter, which I don't want to do.

3. Just in that short putting practice, I feel like there might actually be a little bit of merit to this. I know some will say its basically making you anchor the putter, but I really don't see it like that. It is however making my top hand feel more stable through the stroke, which is in turn keeping that putter a little more stable. But believe me, it's not a cure all.

Tomorrow will be a more telling day as it gets some on course time, and I'm pretty excited to see what comes of it.

This grip has been installed and is ready to get some on course action tomorrow. I just got done rolling about 30-35 putts with it and have some quick basic thoughts.

1. I instaled it on a 34" putter, which is slightly longer than I normally use and it feels fine. I thought about going on a 35 and I could see where that could be helpful too, but so far so good.

2. To really get that wrist lock feeling, I feel like I have to forward press the heck out of the putter, which I don't want to do.

3. Just in that short putting practice, I feel like there might actually be a little bit of merit to this. I know some will say its basically making you anchor the putter, but I really don't see it like that. It is however making my top hand feel more stable through the stroke, which is in turn keeping that putter a little more stable. But believe me, it's not a cure all.

Tomorrow will be a more telling day as it gets some on course time, and I'm pretty excited to see what comes of it.

Is the forward press really that much of a surprise, based on just remembering how Kuchar has to putt using that method?

Apparently @HipCheck does not approve of this one all that much

Is the forward press really that much of a surprise, based on just remembering how Kuchar has to putt using that method?

oh no not at all.

Heck yes to most of this. I’m not sure about the forward press part but the rest sounds good

oh no not at all.
?
You feel it would suit you more on a putter with 6-8 degrees of loft instead just to offsuit the forward lean?

The seam placement seems so odd for this putter and how it’s designed to be used.

I like the idea.

Having not seen one in person though, the grip seems to be quite long. Is that actually the case?

The real benefit of the wrist lock method is preventing the hand from grabbing the wallet to pay the caddy.

The seam placement seems so odd for this putter and how it’s designed to be used.

So that bothered me when looking at it. Because of their model they always have a seam. But with this one I don’t know a good place to put it because the grip is designed to work for both RH and LF golfers. Let’s just say it was on the back of this when installed for a RH golfer, if someone installs it for a LH or cross hand player, that seam is now on the front.

The real benefit of the wrist lock method is preventing the hand from grabbing the wallet to pay the caddy.

My hope today is that it helps me take money.

On course now. Thru 5 holes and putting has been solid. Is it the grip? I don’t know.
CAEB86EB-8528-4C23-BAD3-6138E99FFE24.jpeg23151F5D-DA04-4BBA-8B16-308C2C101BE6.jpeg8131F12A-6E4F-42D5-8FA4-AAAD77E0D5CC.jpeg

Now the crazy thing....I putted so damn good today.

Ohhh I’m definitely gonna have to check out this grip

I like the idea.

Having not seen one in person though, the grip seems to be quite long. Is that actually the case?

Yeah it’s long. Like 13” or so.

Yeah it’s long. Like 13” or so.
Hmm I think I’m going to have to measure my hand placement next time I’m out...

I hit more putts with this setup again last night. I’m still stunned at how well I putted last round, on greens I haven’t played since 2014. I felt like this was getting the putter handle and face in a consistent position every time.

I do wish the grip was a touch shorter because it looks a touch funny when taking it out of the bag.

Would you be able to use this on your normal length putter?

Would you be able to use this on your normal length putter?

I think it’s possible. I installed on a 34 inch putter, I usually use slightly under that.

Back