Surprising clothes you have bought good/bad

Good - Cloudspun Crew. I heard it was great, but it's better. My go to for so many occasions.

If you’re a tee shirt guy check out Kohl’s Apt 9. The cut and fit make anyone look great. You’d think a tee shirt was a tee shirt but these are so good I seek them out. Tried True Classic Tees after getting sucked in by their infomercial and sent them all back. The fit and quality (which is their sell) was basically what you’d get a Dollar General. I haven’t been that disappointed in a product in a very long time.
I have some apt 9 and tek gear stuff. It isn't bad at all.

Good: Bylt Basics polo shirts. Great fit, good material, decent price.

Bad: Peter Millar polo shirt. Horrible oversized boxy fit.

To me the Haggar Cool 18 Pro pants were surprisingly nice. I really like them.

Tried Crafts and Barrow cool and dry polos and did not like them. just not a nice feeling material or fit.

Good (surprisingly or otherwise):

As others have mentioned, the Ben Hogan line. It will never be confused with the likes of Cloudspun but its decent apparel that outperforms it's price tag, for sure.

Broken 3 Wood. The Silk Touch Polos (made by Port Authority) are a little on the heavier side, for me for summer so I'll use those in the fall and Spring months. The Heather Contender polo (made by Sport Tek) is lighter and seems to be better at moisture wicking. I also bought the Melange fitted cap. Like some of the shirts, a little on the heavy side for summer. Everything I have bought has been very reasonably priced and worth the money, IMO. Besides it's right up my alley and not something that everyone else is wearing.

Not a popular guy right now, but everything I have ever worn from the Greg Norman line has been very comfortable. Pick it up at ROSS and it's a pretty good deal. 🤷‍♂️

Sketchers shoes. I've always been reluctant to buy the "old guy" shoes but I've never had a more comfortable athletic shoe. I'll be giving their golf shoes a look, also.

Bad:

Almost anything Under Armor. I've had a couple of polos that weren't BAD but their shoes and outer wear are utter garbage. Ill fit and meh quality.

Adidas polos. Not horrible but considering the price, feel extremely cheap (at least the ones that I've worn). Love their golf shoes, though.

Nike golf apparel. All of it. I do like SOME of their shoes, though. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Ive been looking at rain gear online for years and almost pulled the trigger a few times but i have to remind myself that i rarely play in rain
Look in the UK and Europe for wet weather clothing, l bought a storm suit from golf outlet on sale $75 pants and jacket. Never let me down , extraordinarily dry inside.😃

Good

Ecco shoes
True linkswear shoes
Lululemon clothing

Bad

Polyester sublimated clothing
Golf shoe manufactures ( many ) that don’t make a shoe last that fits wider feet …
Niblick golf shoes

Good:

adidas Ultimate365 shirts
Under Armour Playoff shirts
Puma GRYLBL
Oakley Take 2.0 pants - surprisingly comfortable given the material blend

Bad:

Flexfit 110 hats - too tall and the brims don't shape (or hold it) the way I'd like
Callaway shorts - the ones I got were 2 sizes smaller than what the tag suggested

Callaway shirts at TJ Maxx for under $20. Odd how a medium golf shirt is a large in everything else.

Good:

Puma P hats. They are Flexfit 110's. Very comfy, very stylish, don't stain with sweat. They are my go to hat for all occasions now.

Greyson shirts. They fit me great. They're pricy, but nothing else looks like them IMO.

Puma Alphacats. Best shoe I've ever owned

Bad:

There's some stuff I don't like, but it's just a fit or material preference thing for me. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus.
The Puma P hat you mention... is it a snapback trucker style hat? I wore those in the 70's as a kid. They don't go on my head anymore since I found flexfit.

But if they don't get sweat stains, I might look at them.

Good.
Any Travis Mathew tops - polos, tees, outerwear
Peter Millar summer comfort
Puma Mattr
William Murray

Bad
The need to hem any Travis Mathew bottom
Rhoback polos - too short
Asher
The absolutely absurd fit of any modern Nike stuff

Agree with the under Armour tanking recently. They were the easy go to polo for much of my adult life. Still have some old ones I wear.

Glacier brand shirts from Costco. Comfortable.

The Puma P hat you mention... is it a snapback trucker style hat? I wore those in the 70's as a kid. They don't go on my head anymore since I found flexfit.

But if they don't get sweat stains, I might look at them.
They are snapback, not trucker though. They're Flexfit 110 hats if that's what you like. Puma just has great patterns. Here is a few from my collection. 20220615_135944.jpg

YATTA golf polos are surprisingly awesome. Have three now and may add some more.
Amazon essentials golf shorts are also surprisingly ok. Have two pairs.

Good:
True Linkswear. Most comfortable golf shoes I’ve ever owned.

Cloudspun. Very comfortable and cool.

American Tall. Great fit for tall guys.

Ben Hogan. Can’t beat the bang for the buck. Not top tier stuff, but surprisingly good for the price.

Bad:
Nike anything. Ugly, overpriced garbage.

UnderArmour. Poor quality/durability, inconsistent sizing/fit. Very overpriced for what you get.

Adidas shoes. Not bad, just bad for me. They don’t fit my feet and are the most painful golf shoes I’ve ever had.

Last edited:
Good: Banana Republic Core Temp. Great shorts, really comfortable, and available in shorter inseams for short dudes like me Get them from the factory and they're not a terrible price, either. Cloudspun by Puma is just the best.

Bad: Under Armor. From quarter-zips no one can get their head through, polo shirts entirely too narrow through the shoulders, I feel like buying anything golf related from them is a total crapshoot. New Balance shoes. Not a ton of durability there.

They are snapback, not trucker though. They're Flexfit 110 hats if that's what you like. Puma just has great patterns. Here is a few from my collection. View attachment 9099844
Nice hats. Flex-fit I can do. Square bill... not so much. All I need are a pair of white Oakley shades and an Ed Hardy t-shirt.:ROFLMAO:

To me the Haggar Cool 18 Pro pants were surprisingly nice. I really like them.

Tried Crafts and Barrow cool and dry polos and did not like them. just not a nice feeling material or fit.
I have some Haggar stuff now and it is solid for the money.

Izod swingflex was a surprise for me. Bought it with some Kohl's cash very decent.

Amazon basics golf polos very surprised got them as a gift and just tried them out of it's a gift thanks thinking they would suck. actually not bad at all.

YATTA golf polos are surprisingly awesome. Have three now and may add some more.
Amazon essentials golf shorts are also surprisingly ok. Have two pairs.

Got some amazon essentials golf polos as a gift. Really surprising how good they feel.

Bad - Adidas Code Chaos shoes my feet got super wet and it wasn't that damp on the course. PGA brand shorts, they fit me very tight in the thighs and then loose on the bottom and it looked very bad🤬
I was initially very high on these shoes. The fit is very nice, and the looks are right up there but they wear out so fast! I bought a pair to try and they felt great after 5 or so rounds so I picked up 3 more pair.

I wore them all out by the end of the season. Every one had a hole through the heels. Super disappointing.

Don't have any good to add, but on the bad side UA as many have mentioned and I will add in adidas polo's as well. If they were half the cost of what they are I would probably have a different feeling about both of the brands.
I agree that some can be a bit pricey, but I quite like both UA and Adidas polos. One of my favourite tops is an Adidas Canada Golf branded.

So, I've become a big fan of Walter Hagen apparel. They just are a cut above. You won't find them skimping on belt loops, taking out the inner liner that keeps your polos tucked in, or having them fall apart due to loose or imprecise stitching. You won't find them varying the size or fit. I've got plenty in the rotation that I've had 5-10 years and they still look great even though I wear them virtually every week.

Good:

- Puma Cloudspun. Amazingly comfortable and looks great!
- Puma Ignite shoes. Very comfortable and worth the money. This does not apply to all models though. Current favourites are Ignite PWRADAPT Caged. They fixed the eyelet problem!

Bad:

- Puma Ignite NXT Solelace shoes. I’ve burned through 3 pairs of these. The plastic eyelets kept breaking through. Very comfortable, but not ok that they fail.

Not goona lie........bashed my kiddos for making me buy it it and them wearing it. However, after buying a few shorts and shirts.................

Hate to say it..............

I feel shame for even saying it........

Might not ever live this down.........

But I'm coming clean.........

Lululemon isn't.........that...............bad.

Ugggg.

Not goona lie........bashed my kiddos for making me buy it it and them wearing it. However, after buying a few shorts and shirts.................

Hate to say it..............

I feel shame for even saying it........

Might not ever live this down.........

But I'm coming clean.........

Lululemon isn't.........that...............bad.

Ugggg.
My brother keeps telling me to buy some too! He wears their pants on course and absolutely loves them!

Back