NestmanJ

Reaction score
Handicap
snow
swing coaches, what are you thoughts about them breaking down and re-setting your swing even if it is working for you

I don't agree with breaking down a persons swing, unless what they are working with is hopeless. For the most part there is always a foundation to build upon so there is no need to recreate the wheel.

swing coaches, what are you thoughts about them breaking down and re-setting your swing even if it is working for you

I'm ok with it if that's what is called for.

Personally, if I were ever to hire a swing coach, I'd ask for references from previous students to see what they thought about his methods.

Depends on what you are looking to accomplish. If you are really serious about taking your game to the next level and shooting mid 70s but you currently can't break 100, you may need a swing change. You will at least need some new fundamentals.

Like Freddie said, there is usually something to build upon though.

I don't agree with breaking down a persons swing, unless what they are working with is hopeless. For the most part there is always a foundation to build upon so there is no need to recreate the wheel.

I agree.

After going through a similar experience I found and work with an instructor who is willing to teach me whatever swing I want to learn. Unfortunately the swing I want to learn is a bit obscure (aka SliceFixer swing, which is funny since it is designed to be an anti-hook swing and I hit a fade with it), with not many teachers and so now I am stuck working off of Youtube videos.

i am shooting mid to high 70's and the odd time ill hit 80's again but that is usually the beginning of the season after winter when my body is still tight from snowboarding and not in golf mode, i am looking to better my ball flight and consistency and get my scores lower i have been sitting at these scores for a few years now and like most just want to get better i play 1-2 times a week and practice about the same

If your swing is working for you and you want to find a way to do a few things better and your coach wants to change the whole swing I don't agree with that. I'm currently going through a swing change because mine was not working. It's a hard thing to do and making this year frustrating but it's starting to pay off

Tapaway!

If your swing is working for you and you want to find a way to do a few things better and your coach wants to change the whole swing I don't agree with that. I'm currently going through a swing change because mine was not working. It's a hard thing to do and making this year frustrating but it's starting to pay off

Tapaway!

I'm glad you posted that, it's exactly what I needed to hear. I think a good teacher will do exactly as Tad said, find something solid in your swing and build off of it. I'm going to do the same thing bgammill, i'm stuck at a certain level and need to change a couple things to get better.

i am shooting mid to high 70's and the odd time ill hit 80's again but that is usually the beginning of the season after winter when my body is still tight from snowboarding and not in golf mode, i am looking to better my ball flight and consistency and get my scores lower i have been sitting at these scores for a few years now and like most just want to get better i play 1-2 times a week and practice about the same

No to get off track but have you been fit? Meaning shafts, balls, clubs?

If you're shooting in the 70s low 80s my guess is short game work as well as low and mid irons

Agree 100%! Look at what happens to many tour players when they decide they need to rebuild their swing. For example, Padraig Harrington (one of my favorite players), wins three majors, then decides he needs to completely overhaul his swing and all but drops off the map.

No to get off track but have you been fit? Meaning shafts, balls, clubs?

If you're shooting in the 70s low 80s my guess is short game work as well as low and mid irons

i have been fit for clubs and balls, and my short game is on its my long game that needs help the most off the tee and long irons

Back