Taking more time and not delaying the game?

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
I find that if I take more time with my shots whether it be on the green, tee box, or fairway, I play a much better game. Enough so that is can be 3-5 strokes better at times. The thing that I cannot figure out on these busy courses is how to do that without delaying others. I already feel like I am running a race most of the time on the course. I really don't think golf was meant to be that way.

We run after the ball, rush getting clubs out of the bag, rush on the greens, rush between the holes, rush, rush, rush. I watch the better golfers and they do not appear to rush at all. I suppose there is no way around this on our busy courses.

I know when I play during off times or on a non-busy course and have a relaxed round I enjoy it so much more. and of course my score reflects it. Even my consistency is greatly improved which makes sense to me.

Guess I am ranting, yet not sure how to solve this challenge. Maybe there is no resolution to being rushed on today's golf courses and I should just forget even thinking about it :ROFLMAO:

Playing consistently while keeping pace is just part of the game. If you keep working at it, you will get better at it. Also, you feel like you play 3 to 5 strokes better when you aren't rushed, but there are so many variables at play, and it is impossible to attribute everything to feeling rushed. Is there anything in your routine that can be cut to help you feel less rushed? How many practice swings do you take? How often are you shooting a distance to the pin when maybe a quick glance at the GPS watch for a center distance will suffice? Just like our swing itself, practice makes perfect.

In my opinion we spend 90% of our lives trying to do things quicker than we should, for fear of inconveniencing others.

When it comes to golf, I think you should be able to find a reasonable balance between taking sufficient time to plan your shot and not intentionally delaying play. For example, I walk when I play. As I'm walking to my ball, I'm actively scouting where I might want my next shot to wind up. As I get close to the ball, I roughly gauge my distance to the target, so that I have two or three clubs in mind. By taking these two steps while I am not at my ball allows me to use the reasonable time at the ball to examine the lie, confirm my distance/club and target.

Your playing partners play a huge role in pace of play also. For example, in my group if one of us is at their ball, another will be moving closer to his provided it doesn't visually impact the player currently hitting. If I am on the opposite side of the fairway but 15 yards ahead of another, I will continue to my ball and begin my process while they are hitting their shot. I can use the "preliminary" time to do most of my analysis so that once they have hit I can pull the trigger shortly thereafter. It's the hit/walk/wait/hit/walk/wait cycle that most groups use that makes it appear like they are slow players.

There will always be golfers who wish to play 18 holes in as little time as possible, I firmly believe that golf is a game meant to be enjoyed. You are outside, usually without external distractions, and hopefully with friends. As long as you don't pace of yardages three times, back off twice because the wind changed, etc. I have no issue if you want to take 60 seconds at your ball to plan your shot. Pros take far too long, but a shot for them could mean several hundred thousand dollars. Keep a reasonable effort to keep moving forward, but don't let your game or enjoyment suffer as a result of doing so.

I find that if I take more time with my shots whether it be on the green, tee box, or fairway, I play a much better game. Enough so that is can be 3-5 strokes better at times. The thing that I cannot figure out on these busy courses is how to do that without delaying others. I already feel like I am running a race most of the time on the course. I really don't think golf was meant to be that way.

We run after the ball, rush getting clubs out of the bag, rush on the greens, rush between the holes, rush, rush, rush. I watch the better golfers and they do not appear to rush at all. I suppose there is no way around this on our busy courses.

I know when I play during off times or on a non-busy course and have a relaxed round I enjoy it so much more. and of course my score reflects it. Even my consistency is greatly improved which makes sense to me.

Guess I am ranting, yet not sure how to solve this challenge. Maybe there is no resolution to being rushed on today's golf courses and I should just forget even thinking about it :ROFLMAO:
I definitely play worse on a busy course and even if the score wasn't a factor, I don't enjoy the round as much. I don't play crowded courses when given that choice. If it means less golf, so be it.

I don't have the ability to play at a slow pace when others are waiting. As you mentioned, I will jog to get off the fairway and take drops or play provisional shots instead of looking for a ball that might be in play... rush putts. Those things add strokes.

Ask your group to play ready golf. Don't be formal.

Step back in your mind over your last couple of rounds and see IF you can be more efficient with preparation. Walk more quickly to the ball so you have more prep time, have the rangefinder nearby and using it, you've already figured out how temp and wind are affecting your shot and club selection, quickly ascertaining the lie, and taking the shot that gets you back in play, playing to the middle of the green, visualizing the shot in your head, you executing that shot, and then a practice swing. Address the ball, shuffle your feet, look at target, go - don't stand over the ball.

When chipping, take two wedges you may use instead of one.

On putting green, approaching green, looking at drain lines (slope) to see where water would flow in comparison to where your ball lies, when others are walking off or reading their putts, you are doing it, too as long as you are not interfering with their line - prepare for your putt. Walk off putt, get your read while others are putting if possible. Get a feel for the putt, I don't take practice strokes, I might do one in the air while getting a read, just stay relaxed, don't stand over a putt - keep feet slightly moving while getting set up, then look at target, look down, pull the trigger.

Eliminate standing over the ball, as that wastes time and makes you less athletic.

If the course is that busy and there are groups in front of me where I have to wait on every hole, I never feel I have to rush. There’re isn’t any sense in hurrying up just so you can wait once it is your turn. IF, the course is busy and I’m not waiting on every shot, but the guys behind are, it means we are playing too slow. For me, there is a big difference between playing quickly and being rushed. No one expects you to run to your ball. They do expect you will hit it soon after you get to it though.

I think getting to your ball early and starting to think about what you are going to do with the shot is a big key. I am not the fastest walker and I take my time before hitting the ball but I don’t waste time. I make sure I move toward my ball while other people are hitting (obviously staying out of the way) and have started thinking about the shot before I get to the ball. The same thing on the green. Make sure to look at your putt while others are putting.

The key to playing quickly is preparing early not waiting to think about what you are doing until it is your turn. Ready golf makes a difference also. If you are ready to go hit.

I am with you 100% on this. the more I rush or feel like I have to rush the worse I play and the fun is taken out of it. no one likes 5+ hour rounds but once in awhile its not too bad to get caught behind a couple of slow groups so you can enjoy the day out with friends or family. at least that is how I look at it.

I was once a little b*tch o_O about playing fast, but then I started playing with 3 other guys who walked or pushed a cart, and I learned to play fast without it seeming to play fast. It was all psychological and insecurity about my game. Once I grew more confident and grew confident about playing more efficiently, the slow groups were the little bitches.:LOL:

Last edited:
I once was a little b*tch o_O about playing fast, but then I started playing with 3 other guys who walked or pushed a cart, and I learned to play fast without it seeming to play fast. It was all psychological and insecurity about my game. Once I grew more confident and grew confident about playing more efficiently, the slow groups were the little bitches.:LOL:

this. lately, i've been in that mindset where my pace is fast...but not really. i'm taking just a bit more time on shots but it doesn't feel like i'm slowing the pace. there's a saying, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast"...walk up, line up, practice swing (if i'm not warmed up or the swing feels wonky), swing....before, i was walk up...practice swing, look...adjust...swing.

I don't run to my ball, that might have been hyperbole on your part, I do take a cart. I immediately start thinking about the shot I am going to play before I get to my ball. I try to get to my ball as fast as possible so I can take my time when I get there.

The constant rush to play fast golf is kind of annoying to me. Lastly, your position on the course is always dictated by your position relative to the group ahead of you, not the group behind you. As long as your ready to play when the group ahead is clear, you're fine. If Speedy McFastgolfer behind you is pushing you while you're keeping pace with the group ahead, that's on them and they need to take a breather.

For best results with their scoring, golfers need to play at their own pace of play. Rather that pace is fast, average, or slow, it is what it is for that golfer. Their pace of play is in their genetic make up I suspect. What ever their pace of play is, it's the correct playing pace for them. Playing at their correct pace, will save them strokes, (swing tempo/timing/rythem) which in turn gets them off the course as fast as possible.

Golfers feeling intimidated by others faster pace of play are doing themselves and their game a disservice. They will make more mistakes, which adds more playing time to their round.

The whole idea of playing golf is for the golfer to shoot their lowest score possible. This can't be done when the golfer is being intimidated by other golfers.

I also suspect there are faster golfers out there who would shoot lower scores if they if they slowed down a little.

Fortunately, I don't play very much on weekends/holidays. However, when I do, my own common sense tells me the pace of play is going to be slower than the weekday play I'm use to. Just driving into a crowded parking lot tells me I will probably have to adjust my "in between" shots game.

Let me also add that at no time will I use a slow pace of play as an excuse for poor ball striking on my part. I "mentally" own every stroke I put on a ball.

I often wonder how often golfers actually run into pace of play problems. Looking back, I probably run into "noticeable" slow play 3-5 times during my golf year. Assuming no more closures taking place, I'm on track to play 80-100 rounds this year. A few slower than normal rounds is no big deal for me.

Just like the next guy, I don't care for a slow pace of play. I just treat it as just another part of my golf game that I need to deal with for that round. I let my pre-shot routine handle it.

I am with you 100% on this. the more I rush or feel like I have to rush the worse I play and the fun is taken out of it.
Me three. So I don't rush anymore. What I do do is avoid dwadling. I pretty much know where I want to go and what club I want to use before the cart stops, so it's out of the cart as soon as it stops, grab my club, reexamine my plans as I walk to the ball, take a practice swing or two, then hit the ball. But I don't rush. Rushing simply slows down me, everybody with whom I play, and everybody behind us.

The constant rush to play fast golf is kind of annoying to me.
Is it ever.

I think getting to your ball early and starting to think about what you are going to do with the shot is a big key. I am not the fastest walker and I take my time before hitting the ball but I don’t waste time. I make sure I move toward my ball while other people are hitting (obviously staying out of the way) and have started thinking about the shot before I get to the ball. The same thing on the green. Make sure to look at your putt while others are putting.

The key to playing quickly is preparing early not waiting to think about what you are doing until it is your turn. Ready golf makes a difference also. If you are ready to go hit.
Well said.

I think feeling rushed is the big thing. And it can be hard to turn off once it's there. For as laid back as I am in general, I move really freaking fast compared to most people. Everywhere. It can make others feel rushed. If I can't/don't turn it off a little while playing, especially when I get to my ball, it can even make me feel rushed. Pace stuff is always tough because it's largely mental, but as long as you're efficient with your readiness before you get over your ball you're usually fine, and sometimes have to tell youself that. I tune all that out once the club is in my hand. It's a shared experience, so everything else is a little bit 'our' time, but once I'm over the ball, that's my time. And I don't care what anyone thinks about how I go about that part. I'm going to do what I need to do to make the shot I need to make. I'd likely tell you that you shouldn't worry either if I noticed you looking/feeling rushed. Get/be ready on the way to your ball, and then do your thing. That's really all anyone can do. Most people don't play their best when they feel rushed, and sometimes a couple little approach changes that take 90% of that feeling away, add up to almost no time at all.

I think Jack Nicklaus once said (something to this effect), As you get behind the ball to visualize, stop talking, focus, and pretend you are in slow motion as you proceed to take the shot. That advice will calm and focus you to delete outside thoughts and focus on the task at hand.

When Lee Trevino was at his height, you'd see him joking with the crowd, but when that club was handed to him, he stopped talking and focused, deleting everything in the background.

You'll actually be calmer, go faster and hit a better shot.

, Yet, if you poll golfers, 85% will tell you they are not slow when the average round at a public course takes over 4 hours. The bottom line is 4 hours as a foursome with my golf buddies means we are waiting on almost every hole. Slow play will never be fixed at public courses as some people do everything dead, walk, talk, drive, etc. My wife and I walked a few miles around the Mall of America on Thursday to get a little exercise, and many people there walk at less than 1 mph compared to our almost 4 mph. Those people exist on the golf course, too, lol. We had one in the group ahead of us in AZ last week. I started timing him on his tee shots, and he would take 45-50 seconds from the time he put the tee in the ground until he hit the ball; if everyone in the group does that, it's 3.5+ minutes to tee off.

Here's how long the pros take, but we all know many are slow. I'm on the fast side as a tee shot will take only about 20 seconds for me to complete from the time I pull the club from my bag to the time it's airborne. Our regular walking foursome will finish in about 3:20, and I never feel rushed.

Last edited:
And have a routine and stick to it. My instructor will stop a lesson and ask, "What are you doing?" I want you to go through your routine!"

I know that I will hit a better shot and quicken the pace by doing so.

Visualize the shot, take a practice swing to match, line up the shot, all behind the ball and then approach the ball and address it. Move the feet slightly to remain athletic - I will take a look at the sky to visualize the flight and pull the trigger.

After your shot, if you did not execute correctly, it's probably just that, bad execution. Forget it and think what YOU ARE GOING TO DO on the next shot.

Whether I hit a bad or good shot, I don't let anything get me too down or up - I pull my shoulders back and stay confident.

This thinking will speed up your game.

And yet if you poll golfers, 85% will tell you they are not slow when the average round at a public course takes over 4 hours.
Sounds about right, depending upon the length of the course.

The bottom line is 4 hours as a foursome with my golf buddies means we are waiting on almost every hole.
Are your buddies also scratch and single-digit handicappers? I'm not. The guys I play with range from ±20 to where I am, which is somewhere north of 40. It only stands to reason we'll play a round much more slowly than will you and your buddies. Doesn't mean we play each shot slowly. There are just a lot more of them.

And have a routine and stick to it. My instructor will stop a lesson and ask, "What are you doing?" I want you to go through your routine!"

I know that I will hit a better shot and quicken the pace by doing so.

Visualize the shot, take a practice swing to match, line up the shot, all behind the ball and then approach the ball and address it. Move the feet slightly to remain athletic - I will take a look at the sky to visualize the flight and pull the trigger.

After your shot, if you did not execute correctly, it's probably just that, bad execution. Forget it and think about what YOU ARE GOING TO DO on the next shot.

Whether I hit a bad or good shot, I don't let anything get me too down or up - I pull my shoulders back and stay confident.

This thinking will speed up your game.

To build on this. Good players will have the same routine for each shot, whether it's a putt for eagle or for double bogey. Most amateurs spend way more time on a putt or shot that they feel is more important and that allows doubt to creep into your brain and the result is usually worse.

, Yet, if you poll golfers, 85% will tell you they are not slow when the average round at a public course takes over 4 hours. The bottom line is 4 hours as a foursome with my golf buddies means we are waiting on almost every hole. Slow play will never be fixed at public courses as some people do everything dead, walk, talk, drive, etc. My wife and I walked a few miles around the Mall of America on Thursday to get a little exercise, and many people there walk at less than 1 mph compared to our almost 4 mph. Those people exist on the golf course, too, lol. We had one in the group ahead of us in AZ last week. I started timing him on his tee shots, and he would take 45-50 seconds from the time he put the tee in the ground until he hit the ball; if everyone in the group does that, it's 3.5+ minutes to tee off.

Here's how long the pros take, but we all know many are slow. I'm on the fast side as a tee shot will take only about 20 seconds for me to complete from the time I pull the club from my bag to the time it's airborne. Our regular walking foursome will finish in about 3:20, and I never feel rushed.

Right, but the pace of play is not determined by the fastest group on the course. If your group is waiting but the group ahead is also waiting, it doesn't mean the people ahead are playing too slow. There are more factors to consider.

4 hours for a 4-some on an average course is the pace. If you are playing an old style classic course with very close tee to green layouts then maybe 3:45. That some group of 4 guys can play a course in 3 hours just says they are uber fast not that you are slow. To do 4 hours, ready golf is a must. Forget formality but play with respect. The other thing I do is drop a ball if I can't find mine. Lots of time wasted looking for balls.

my 2 cents on the pre-shot routine. Learn a shorter routine. myself and one other in my saturday group are fast. we have one average and one slow. The slow play by our 4th does not help him and it hurts the rest of the group because at times I speed up even more to try and help our group keep to the 4 hour pace

Right, but the pace of play is not determined by the fastest group on the course. If your group is waiting but the group ahead is also waiting, it doesn't mean the people ahead are playing too slow. There are more factors to consider.

I totally agree, and over the years, I continue to improve in setting my pace expectations before each round. If it's a public course on a weekend, I expect 4:15 or even a little longer, and I'm happy if we finish in less than that. On a recent trip to AZ, we played almost 9 rounds of golf on public courses, and only two of them took longer than 4:05, and we were all very relaxed and happy with those rounds. It allowed us to drink a couple more beers and have some extra time to laugh. On Super Bowl Sunday our first round took 4:05, the course emptied, and we played another 14 holes in 2:15. Both paces of play were enjoyable.

My home course allows fivesomes after 11:00 pm and earlier if you keep pace. Before 10 am it's rare that you won't finish in 3:45 or less even if the tee sheet is stacked. In the afternoons on most days, 4:05 is about as fast as you can do because there might be 10 fivesomes on the course.

Let's say you shoot 90 as the cap you are.....90 shots at 2 seconds to make the swing per....That is 3 minutes....If you use an average round of 4 hours...You have 3 hours and 57 minutes for getting to and preparing to hit your shots. I see so many out there that waste so much time. Do your prep all along the time you are approaching your ball. Don't just initiate your process of preparation when it is your turn.

add on 1 hour to just walk the course so lets call it 1:03. The car guy can play faster because the cart can run faster then a guy can walk.

the keyk as you said is the playing in parallel and keeping pre-shot routines to less then a minute

Back