TaylorMade MyTP Putters

My only issue with the cost of the TaylorMade TP line is that Cleveland makes a similar putter from a construction standpoint, minus the insert and it costs much less.
They also do customization for much less.

Where this shines is the sheer amount of customization available.

I still don't understand the TP moniker here, when most of their tour pros use the Spider line, but I get it.

My only issue with the cost of the TaylorMade TP line is that Cleveland makes a similar putter from a construction standpoint, minus the insert and it costs much less.

I still don't understand the TP moniker here, when most of their tour pros use the Spider line, but I get it.

This is what blew me away and for the price, I've never tried one of these, but I would. I do really enjoy Cleveland putters, I think you get a ton of bang for your buck for their cost, but I could be moved to put one of these in the bag, will of the custom options.

It does aggravate me a bit that every time I go to TaylorMade and click on a product they send me an email within an hour.

That's a bit pushy for my liking.

Received the same pushy treatment when looking for SIM Ti Fwy. Guess I'm growing accustomed to everyone doing it - put something in a cart and they want to email and phone you... lol

As to the putter line, it's great if you know what you're doing and you know what fits you - from my previous Edel fittings, I know that a mallet style, whether traditional or not as deep from face to back, and not much offset, if at all, fits me, with a heel shafted putter, and not many, if at all, sightlines.

Everything has limitations.

I guess you can get the weighting right for distance control after the purchase with head weight and counterbalancing.

Last edited:
I like the idea of that many options, interesting only two head colors though
The Toulon Garage only is offering two head colors at a much higher starting price point.

This is great. What is slightly funny is that once again, TaylorMade is taking the “garage” idea and presenting it in a slightly different way. There is a great amount of relative value here.
I'm not sure I see it as coping the 'garage' ideas since they have been offering the MySpider option for awhile now and see this as just adding another line of putters into the mix. I could be wrong though

I'm not sure I see it as coping the 'garage' ideas since they have been offering the MySpider option for awhile now and see this as just adding another line of putters into the mix. I could be wrong though
I see your point, but the MySpider option came after Toulon Garage had been incorporated into the Callaway ecosystem. It’s not really a big deal. It’s just that I notice that so many things coming from TaylorMade are refinements of another idea. Often improved, or offered at a better price point (see the P790s following PXG’s hollow irons), but it is a recurrent theme.

I know the price topic has been discussed a lot but does Cleveland having a lower prices putter make that product seem cheaper and less desirable? It's awesome that they offer customization but they may not get as many eyes at that price. That's such a tough balance to figure out.

The amount of customization is what is most impressive to me on these TaylorMade models, especially for the price. That's a pretty big deal for someone that likev me that likes being able to make something unique.

I know the price topic has been discussed a lot but does Cleveland having a lower prices putter make that product seem cheaper and less desirable? It's awesome that they offer customization but they may not get as many eyes at that price. That's such a tough balance to figure out.

Possibly. Heck, probably to some degree.

Reactions: KEV
I have a feeling all of the OEMs at some point are going to offer customization for all of their clubs in order to stay competitive.
My SOTO putter could use an upgrade (y)

I really like how it seems that more companies are offering custom options. And here, I am very impressed at the sheer number of items you’d have available to select.

I rolled a TP putter for a year and liked it well enough, but it just lacked personality and felt mass produced. I think offering these customization options will definitely help to move past those feelings.

I guess this line is driven for golf junkies, because if regular Joe Golfer did this, it could be a disaster for their game. I see it as a short term solution for more sales instead of solving a problem if it's for Regular Joe.

The industry is going towards fitting and professional expertise, and this DIY ignores that trend. It would seem to work for places like CC, Hot Sticks (are they still around?), Cool Clubs(?), that may know something about putter fitting, or guys that have been around golf and putting for a long and have had previous fittings.

TM isn't really on my putter radar, but nice to see them offering customization options at a more affordable price point.

I guess this line is driven for golf junkies, because if regular Joe Golfer did this, it could be a disaster for their game. I see it as a short term solution for more sales instead of solving a problem if it's for Regular Joe.

The industry is going towards fitting and professional expertise, and this DIY ignores that trend. It would seem to work for places like CC, Hot Sticks (are they still around?), Cool Clubs(?), that may know something about putter fitting, or guys that have been around golf and putting for a long and have had previous fittings.

I get the sentiment, but is the industry really going that way for the vast majority of golfers? I'd say out of the people I play with, maybe half have been fitted for some part of their bag, but none for all of it. The other half being fit for none of it other than maybe hitting something in front of some kid at DSG or GG. I don't even need fingers to count how many people I know outside THP that have been fitted for a putter. Not counting myself it's a grand total of zero, and I play with some pretty good golfers sometimes.

In my experience most golfers choose putters based on what they roll best in the store, what hand-me-down they learned to putt with or what their father/buddy/whoever recommended. I honestly don't see any major shift in that coming any time soon for the large majority of recreational golfers.

Regardless, I think companies offering personalization is a good thing as allows people to get something that they're specifically more excited about than what they may find on the store shelf. Whether it fits them or not I think is dependent on the buyer and their level of give a damn about such things.

I see your point, but the MySpider option came after Toulon Garage had been incorporated into the Callaway ecosystem. It’s not really a big deal. It’s just that I notice that so many things coming from TaylorMade are refinements of another idea. Often improved, or offered at a better price point (see the P790s following PXG’s hollow irons), but it is a recurrent theme.
Rumour has it that you will be able to customize the sim 2.0 when released so your point is very valid and I’m sure it will be a hot topic in the new year

what?? no MYTRUSS option?? PFFT.. I'm out...

Rumour has it that you will be able to customize the sim 2.0 when released so your point is very valid and I’m sure it will be a hot topic in the new year
Customization options are certainly cool. It will be fun to see if that is available for the SIM 2.

Those are some nice options. I've been harping on stuff like this. Give me the black with some colorful accents. Shame I just bought an Odyssey.:cry::ROFLMAO: But good for others that want this customization

Those are some nice options. I've been harping on stuff like this. Give me the black with some colorful accents. Shame I just bought an Odyssey.:cry::ROFLMAO: But good for others that want this customization
Would you have bought this instead of the Odyssey, had you known?

I get the sentiment, but is the industry really going that way for the vast majority of golfers? I'd say out of the people I play with, maybe half have been fitted for some part of their bag, but none for all of it. The other half being fit for none of it other than maybe hitting something in front of some kid at DSG or GG. I don't even need fingers to count how many people I know outside THP that have been fitted for a putter. Not counting myself it's a grand total of zero, and I play with some pretty good golfers sometimes.

In my experience most golfers choose putters based on what they roll best in the store, what hand-me-down they learned to putt with or what their father/buddy/whoever recommended. I honestly don't see any major shift in that coming any time soon for the large majority of recreational golfers.

Regardless, I think companies offering personalization is a good thing as allows people to get something that they're specifically more excited about than what they may find on the store shelf. Whether it fits them or not I think is dependent on the buyer and their level of give a damn about such things.

To me, this is just marketing something to look cool. And tough to resell on eBay or classifieds. Good luck to the golfing public. They'll need it.:D

To me, this is just marketing something to look cool. And tough to resell on eBay or classifieds. Good luck to the golfing public. They'll need it.:D

Oh I think that's certainly a lot of it. Will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure.

As soon as I saw the email about this, I immediately configured a black putter with lots of light blue and some orange. Have not tried the newest TM offerings though.

I love to see custom options at pretty reasonable prices!

I would have a hard time buying a custom putter from Taylor Made unless they use a higher quality paint than what they use in their stock offerings. The faces tend to chip really bad on their putters from what I have seen.

Back