TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

Played my home course today, cart path only, over seeded, fairways uncut it was like playing in the rough from tee to green but I shot my second best round 77. Hit these irons so well today, the only tees out were whites but there was no roll in the fairways so I hit a lot of 6 to 9 iron approach shots. I just love the feel of these irons, the Modus Tour 105 combo is amazing. So glad I pulled the trigger on these.

i am now in love with my p790's , i got mine with px shafts and they were good with those but felt a little harsh so i changed it for some modus 105 and i could not believe how much buttery they feel, so get the right shaft and these will whip anything out there, I've played cf16, jpx hot metals, mp 29, Callaway steelhead, tm m2 the next best to the tm were the fg5 Wilson

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I hit these pretty darn well this last weekend. When struck well, they feel incredible and seem to just launch off of the face. The looks continue to do it for me - they are just stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a chance to hit a P730 7 iron on a launch monitor today, from a look, sound and feel point of view these clubs are beautiful. There is no comparing the feel of these to my P790’s. The P790 may be forged to some extent but there is a night and day difference between it and the P730, P750. I don’t have the game to play these that’s for sure. As expected because of the design and difference in loft, 35* for the P730 and 30.5* for the P790 7 iron I was about two clubs shorter with the P730 than my P790. Was doing too good to carry the P730 7 iron 138 yards..

Surprised there's not more input on these. I've played 10 rounds with these over the past month and love them. I have AMT shafts in mine and they are a tad longer than my prior XR Pros and more forgiving. Not by a ton on either but longer and more forgiving is never a bad thing.

Ended up grabbing the p790’s today after I traded in my AP3’s.

Originally had liked the AP3’s more, but the thinner topline on those was not working for me. I also really like the smacwrap recoil 780’s.

Will report back after more time with them.

Ended up grabbing the p790’s today after I traded in my AP3’s.

Originally had liked the AP3’s more, but the thinner topline on those was not working for me. I also really like the smacwrap recoil 780’s.

Will report back after more time with them.

Please post how you feel about the weight of the Smacwrap in the 790's after you have some time with them. What flex did you get in the SW's and what were the shafts in the AP3's? Thank you.

Please post how you feel about the weight of the Smacwrap in the 790's after you have some time with them. What flex did you get in the SW's and what were the shafts in the AP3's? Thank you.

Got the stiff flex. Had recoil 65’s in the AP3 in stuff as well. You can definitely feel the 20 gram heavier weight difference making them stiffer to flex. More to come.

eliterate,

Your profile shows Recoil 110's. Are they SMAC as are the 760/780's??

The 790s are fantastic irons in the first three rounds of the year - the ball jumps off the face and I can shape them most times. Really glad I got them.

eliterate,

Your profile shows Recoil 110's. Are they SMAC as are the 760/780's??

They are just regular Recoil 110s. No SMAC or the 780/760 versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I prefer the black shaft of the 760/780. Do you know if the 95/110 are available in black?

I prefer the black shaft of the 760/780. Do you know if the 95/110 are available in black?

Just asked Danny Le for you and he said the black would be “coming soon” for those shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They’re ok (not egregious) on the thin miss... But not as good as the CF16s on the thin miss...

i guess we all are different the cf16 for me were less forgiving on mishits and thin was ok with the 790 but if i hit both near the sweetspot the 790 was a half club longer than the 16's but again its all about what your swing is like, mine usually is shallow with little divots so i pick the ball more

Saw your signature and wonder how the 770 compares with the 790 in forgiveness.

Madi05
Was the 770 very much less forgiving than the 790? I know it's suppose to be shorter, however I can get the 770 pre owned in my shaft and I'm interested in your experience. I found the 790 pretty forgiving. Thank you.

Madi05
Was the 770 very much less forgiving than the 790? I know it's suppose to be shorter, however I can get the 770 pre owned in my shaft and I'm interested in your experience. I found the 790 pretty forgiving. Thank you.

Although I am not Madi05, I can give some input. I own both sets of irons. The P790s are definitely more forgiving. The head is larger. The nature of the head makes it more forgiving. However, the P770 is not a difficult iron to hit, in my opinion. It has tungsten in the longer irons and it has quite a bit of perimeter weighting. If I were to put them on a scale of 1 to 10, ten being the most forgiving, I would say that the P770s are a 7 and the P790s are an 8. I think that the same profile of player who could manage the P790s could also play the P770s. The P770s have some advantages as well over the P70s. The P770s have significantly more spin than the P790s. They are easier to flight. On the other hand, they are not as long. However, I bought my P770s with Steefiber shafts and had the lofts strengthened 1.5 degrees. They do not dig in the slightest and the strengthened lofts get them into the same zipcode as the P790s, although still not as long. I really feel that the P770s are way under the radar. They are great irons. If you look at my signature, you will see that I have been playing the new Titleist AP2s, but I am seriously wavering whether the P770s work a little better for me with the stronger lofts and the Steelfiber shafts.

Last edited:
I would like to see Taylormade produce a combo set of 790's/730's with the lofts properly matched I realize you can accomplish this now with a custom order, but I think a Retail combo set would actually make good sense!

I would like to see Taylormade produce a combo set of 790's/730's with the lofts properly matched I realize you can accomplish this now with a custom order, but I think a Retail combo set would actually make good sense!

I can see the appeal in concept, but I disagree. The people that are buying a combo set of these clubs are definitely not buying a stock off the rack set up.

Yeah the 790s are long

1st is 7I with it is shaft 1 inch long

2nd is stock

Both had 1 to 2 junk shots Included. 10 balls total with each.
3462d42577beadf00e3b80f52ccd134a.jpg
0deb882090a0f6d5cb7a8dda98bc7fc1.jpg

Damn Mike!!!! Some damn good #'s there sir.

Damn Mike!!!! Some damn good #'s there sir.
Yeah trajectory wasn't ideal and I hit s few clunkers but all in all not bad

damn that's long. I could use that.

Back