TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

I played P790s President’s weekend for 3 rounds while waiting for my Morgan Cup irons to arrive. I have yet to find anything that performs better for me.

they are just solid all the way around. Fast, long, forgiving, and look really good. I keep jumping back and forth on ordering Ping g410, or just gettingt these actually fit for me. Not sure I can go wrong either way.

they are just solid all the way around. Fast, long, forgiving, and look really good. I keep jumping back and forth on ordering Ping g410, or just gettingt these actually fit for me. Not sure I can go wrong either way.

I know which ones I would pick, but then again, I have not even really looked at the g410s. I just know that I tried every player’s distance profile under the sun in the last 12 months and nothing worked better for me than the P790s.

I know which ones I would pick, but then again, I have not even really looked at the g410s. I just know that I tried every player’s distance profile under the sun in the last 12 months and nothing worked better for me than the P790s.

absolutely. I think TM nailed it with this.

looking good. I still think they are one of the baddest irons on the market.

Totally agree. They are still the hottest irons on the market.

The only irons hitter are the MC 501 Miuras and let’s face it I don’t have the money for those.

22916f4f61498ea9046ac31c10475646.jpg

If I’m still a single figure handicap when I turn 50 I’ll spoil myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree. They are still the hottest irons on the market.

The only irons hitter are the MC 501 Miuras and let’s face it I don’t have the money for those.

22916f4f61498ea9046ac31c10475646.jpg

If I’m still a single figure handicap when I turn 50 I’ll spoil myself.

yeah those look damn good.

Fun Fact.

Rory's 307 yard drive yesterday on the Par 4 yesterday that gave him a look at Eagle was with the P790. I think it was 2iron.

Fun Fact.

Rory's 307 yard drive yesterday on the Par 4 yesterday that gave him a look at Eagle was with the P790. I think it was 2iron.

correct on the 2 iron

Just ordered a set of 790's, 4iron to PW. Salivating already, thinking I'll take them out next Tuesday. Took a lot to move me away from Titleist, the CB's were beautiful, but Taylor made did it.

My issue is the bottom end. I have Vokey 48 degree, 52 and 56 wedges. The nine iron 790 is 40 degrees, so the 45 PW is crucial. I'm thinking I drop the 48 , pitch with the 45 and chip with gap. I will be away for a week with a pro at Augusta and will listen to him.

So, after the weekend and hitting some things.... @ddec are these getting the 2019 nod?

So, after the weekend and hitting some things.... @ddec are these getting the 2019 nod?

Man Im still unsure. I'm flirting with too much right now. Apex, G410, F9 OL, and these.

Man Im still unsure. I'm flirting with too much right now. Apex, G410, F9 OL, and these.

You big ole tease!

You big ole tease!

where my hangup is on these, is I feel like I could get better performance(for me) out of say the 6-7 iron. Could be something with my setup, but man do I turn those two clubs over a lot. The 6 I'd love to get more height and perhaps more stability in that shot.

where my hangup is on these, is I feel like I could get better performance(for me) out of say the 6-7 iron. Could be something with my setup, but man do I turn those two clubs over a lot. The 6 I'd love to get more height and perhaps more stability in that shot.

Hmmmmmm...that is an interesting conundrum. Flighted set maybe?

TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

The 790s are still very intriguing to me. I hit @ddec ‘s a bit in Florida last year but only on the range. I do struggle with my eye with how high I hit them but they felt outstanding and went fairly straight. Maybe shaft would knock the height down a bit.

Hmmmmmm...that is an interesting conundrum. Flighted set maybe?

possibly. Or I just get something with a touch more help in terms of head design.

The 790s are still very intriguing to me. I hit @ddec ‘s a bit in Florida last year but only on the range. I do struggle with my eye with how high I hit them but they felt outstanding and went fairly straight. Maybe shaft would knock the height down a bit.

they do feel really good and they look the part too.

possibly. Or I just get something with a touch more help in terms of head design.

they do feel really good and they look the part too.

I'm firmly in the wanting you to play one length segment, so I'm biased. LOL

I'm firmly in the wanting you to play one length segment, so I'm biased. LOL

clearly I should just buy multiple iron sets haha

Can't wait to see the gen 2 for these.

... I was initially concerned with the trajectory too, especially playing in Chicago winds with can be very gusty. Last thing I need is a gust come up and cause my shot to balloon. But it proved unfounded because even though the P790's launch very high, they spin quite a bit less than any iron I have played so they do not balloon. The height helps with a steep angle of descent so holding greens isn't a problem. My Cobra Forged Tours as well as previous players irons, tended to spin back while the 790's pretty much hop and stop finishing a few feet from my ball mark. And of course the forgiveness and distance is just off the charts in the long irons. My 4 iron is one of my favorite clubs to hit off the fairway or light rough, which says a lot since I have not even carried a 4 iron in quite a few years.

I have hit a ton of irons and I still believe, 100%, that the P790 is very tough to beat for that player who has moderately good speed (say 96 to 105 driver swing speed) and a repeatable swing. No iron does everything for everybody, but the P790s do a lot of things very well. Right now, if I were forced to choose one iron that I would play exclusively for the next 5 years, I would have a difficult time choosing something other than P790s.

I have hit a ton of irons and I still believe, 100%, that the P790 is very tough to beat for that player who has moderately good speed (say 96 to 105 driver swing speed) and a repeatable swing. No iron does everything for everybody, but the P790s do a lot of things very well. Right now, if I were forced to choose one iron that I would play exclusively for the next 5 years, I would have a difficult time choosing something other than P790s.

I don't have that high of speed (low 90s is where I live) but these were easily the best Iron I have hit. Fastest ball speed + lower spin = huge distance gains, but also best dispersion.

In my initial testing with them (picked up a set 2nd hand for a good price) I found them to be super long in the longer irons, but similar to my previous set in the short irons. Which created some big gaps for me.

After my fitting we are adjusting the lofts on the 5/6/7/8 up (weaker) leaving 9I alone and strengthening Pw/GW which should hopefully even out the yardages.

I don't have that high of speed (low 90s is where I live) but these were easily the best Iron I have hit. Fastest ball speed + lower spin = huge distance gains, but also best dispersion.

In my initial testing with them (picked up a set 2nd hand for a good price) I found them to be super long in the longer irons, but similar to my previous set in the short irons. Which created some big gaps for me.

After my fitting we are adjusting the lofts on the 5/6/7/8 up (weaker) leaving 9I alone and strengthening Pw/GW which should hopefully even out the yardages.

what were you fit in to with these at TXG?

what were you fit in to with these at TXG?

PX LZ 5.0. think we also tried the Oban 100 and the MRC 95s. PX LZ gave me best results and it wasn't close.

Back