TaylorMade P790 and P790 Ti Irons

My pairing today had the P790, F9, AP2, and G700 irons. My god is there a big spectrum of sound when hit one after the other.

Without a doubt. Lots of fun there. I bet F9 sounded better than most of them haha. They nailed the sound profile in those irons .

Without a doubt. Lots of fun there. I bet F9 sounded better than most of them haha. They nailed the sound profile in those irons .
All. All of them. It sounds SO solid. But the P790 beat the G700 by a mile too

The new P790 are silly long - 220 yards off the mat with a 7i!! Unfortunately couldn’t find a shaft setup that worked,

The new P790 are silly long - 220 yards off the mat with a 7i!! Unfortunately couldn’t find a shaft setup that worked,
Wait, what?!?! What were you looking for in a shaft?

Finally got a chance to try these today compared to some other irons across multiple categories. So all 7 irons, I tried P790s, Titleist 718 CBs, Mizuno MP-20 HMBs and Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pros. All shots were hit with Oncore range balls with Dynamic Gold S300s in stiff, and take note, I’m not a high spin player with irons regardless of model.
P790s were consistently at 178-180 yards, 22* of launch, spin was around 4500 and I believe the ball speed was around 119. I know that whenever I buy these, spin will be higher with a more premium ball that doesn’t play like a rock. The other three irons all launched a little higher and spun about the same, maybe a little higher with the CBS being the highest around 5000, but with less distance. The only one that had the same forgiveness was the HM Pros. The CBs were punishing on mishits and the HMBs didn’t seem much more forgiving. I will agree that nothing feels like a Mizuno when struck well but for me, the performance was just not there. What amazed me most was the P790’s forgiveness on low strikes. Lower launch, more spin, and only 5-10yards short. And they honestly felt amazing. They’re definitely the next purchase for sure and hopefully I’ll call my bag finished. Overall, an amazing iron. Well done, TM.

Last edited:
I’m sure this can be said for most hollow body players distance clubs but I love how you can get extra spin and higher launch on command but still flight the ball without issue. I love these hollow heads - really do

Other than the offset, which you can compare to other irons, are the P790 pretty neutral in terms of ball flight - in other words they don't have a tendency to hook any more than other competitors?

@JB how did these sell vs previous gen?

Pretty good. I think that is mostly about inventory, but they are doing decently.
Does that include the Ti version? I have been trying to find them to demo and have only seen them in one place (Edwin Watts by PGA National) and I was not able to demo them.

Does that include the Ti version? I have been trying to find them to demo and have only seen them in one place (Edwin Watts by PGA National) and I was not able to demo them.

To me, the Ti version was a real letdown. I have not heard a single person say that he thought they were worth the extra money.

To me, the Ti version was a real letdown. I have not heard a single person say that he thought they were worth the extra money.
I am a big fan of the 790s, so I was really looking forward to giving these a real shot and, if warranted, to purchase. It’s been a bit of a letdown that I have not found an opportunity to demo them. I’ll give it another shot next weekend I think.

Has anyone compared the Srixon Z765 to the P790s? I know they are different style irons but are the P790s more forgiving? Likewise, what did people find compared to the Callaway Apex CF19?

I just pulled the trigger on these, 4-PW with KBS C-taper Lite Black Limited Edition. Super excited to get these out on the range. Thanks to Will at The Peoples Golf for great communication while settling on the final product!

Buddy ordered the p790 ti irons today (as part of a complete TM bag fitting). Goofing around I hit the 5, 7, and PW with the Nippon NS Pro 950 GH Neo Stiff flex into a 2+ club head wind. I could not flight the ball down. Massive launch into orbit. I did try the 7i with a Nippon Modus 120 S. That was better but I would have to play more different shafts. Nice clubs but probably not my thing. My buddy is giddy happy and excited with these.

Buddy ordered the p790 ti irons today (as part of a complete TM bag fitting). Goofing around I hit the 5, 7, and PW with the Nippon NS Pro 950 GH Neo Stiff flex into a 2+ club head wind. I could not flight the ball down. Massive launch into orbit. I did try the 7i with a Nippon Modus 120 S. That was better but I would have to play more different shafts. Nice clubs but probably not my thing. My buddy is giddy happy and excited with these.
I’m curious about the Ti irons. I haven’t seen them in the wild yet

I’m curious about the Ti irons. I haven’t seen them in the wild yet

They are very interesting clubs. For anyone who wants launch with distance, p790 ti are a good option. Sound/feel was nice. I have hit the regular p790 indoors so hard to compare, but outside these were solid and plenty forgiving. Easy swings were nicely rewarded. Very little loss on mishits. Dispersion was good. I just launched them crazy high into the wind. Nice to hit multiple clubs. The PW was quite playable and 5i was a rocket.

IMG_1427.jpeg
IMG_1429.jpeg

They are very interesting clubs. For anyone who wants launch with distance, p790 ti are a good option. Sound/feel was nice. I have hit the regular p790 indoors so hard to compare, but outside these were solid and plenty forgiving. Easy swings were nicely rewarded. Very little loss on mishits. Dispersion was good. I just launched them crazy high into the wind. Nice to hit multiple clubs. The PW was quite playable and 5i was a rocket.

View attachment 8948723
View attachment 8948724

I did not enjoy the feel/sound of the Ti version at all. It is great to have so many options, because so many perceive things so differently.

I never hit the TI version, but I love the regular p790s. I went into a demo day wanting the CF 19, but liked the 790s more. I hit the cf 19, Forged Tec, i500, Mizuno jpx 919 forged, and 790s. I really liked the i500s as well- they had the least amount of offset and that was really appealing, but 790s gave me the best combo of feel, playability, looks, and distance. I went in wanting the CF 19s, but they looked to have the most offset and it just didn’t sit well with me. They felt pretty harsh as well- I liked my old cf 16s better.

Last edited:
Added the p790’s around 3 weeks ago and liking the feel and look to these. I would put these up in the top 5 sets I’ve owned. Consistency is a strong suit for these irons I can pretty much stay in control most of the time.

Well, I guess I’m a TaylorMade guy now. I was fit at Club Champion and low and behold the P790’s where the winners. They felt great and the results spoke for themselves. I originally went in with my heart on Apex 19’s and they came in second but I was nowhere’s near as consistent with them as the p790’s. I also liked how the 790 looked behind the ball. But all the numbers and the flight were perfect.

Well, I guess I’m a TaylorMade guy now. I was fit at Club Champion and low and behold the P790’s where the winners. They felt great and the results spoke for themselves. I originally went in with my heart on Apex 19’s and they came in second but I was nowhere’s near as consistent with them as the p790’s. I also liked how the 790 looked behind the ball. But all the numbers and the flight were perfect.

Congrats! They are great irons, imo. I still say that the P790s were the irons that lit the fuse for the current craze for hollow body irons.

Just played my first 9 with the new P790’s and I have to say I’m in love...

Slight thread resurrection here. After a trip to Club Champion this weekend, I've got a set of the P790s with Fujikura Pro 95i shafts on the way. At standard length, they were about a half club longer than my Apex irons on the launch monitor, and my dispersion was way down. Super excited to see if that translates to the course, and to put some graphite iron shafts in play. Haven't gamed a TM anything in quite a while, so should be fun!

Finally got my irons in. Really happy with how they turned out. Headed out this weekend for a round. May try to get a range session in before that as well!

77652C32-16E4-4A18-908B-07CD65FD3B98_1_105_c.jpegEDF5A2C1-C7CD-4887-ADE9-A642F28BE965_1_105_c.jpeg

Back